Review of the Seven Comforts latex topper

Hi Sleepy1,

No … the cover isn’t removable so unfortunately it’s not washable.

Phoenix

Phoenix, What a wonderful site you host. I don’t know how you make a living at it, but I am going to contribute after I make my purchases. After days spent lurking and studying here I am about to make a decision. I have been going back and forth between the Denver Mattress Snowmass and Aspen in a king. I am 6’ 1’, 185 pounds, 66 years old and have arthritis in my mid back and both shoulders. The Aspen feels better when laying on my side, but I am afraid that it will break down like other mattresses I have owned.

Your review of the 7 Comforts indicates it may solve the pressure problems in my shoulders when I sleep on my sides so I am considering the Snowmass for durability and adding the Seven Comforts topper. Sound like a good plan? It do wonder how the 7 Comforts supports for back and stomach sleeping. My wife is a side and stomach sleeper. I am side and back and have had back problems when previous mattresses have broken down in the lumbar region. (I have extended the life or our current innerspring by putting pieces of plywood, cut to the size of the indentation, under the mattress).

Can you tell me if the 7 Comforts sleeps hot, cool, or in between? If it is hot, it might be a deal breaker for us. BTW, my wife is 5’ 10" and about 175.

Regards, Lew in Denver and thanks for all the help you give people.

PS, what do you use as a cover over your combo of mattress and topper?

Lew,
Instead of purchasing an aftermarket topper, we simply ordered a 3-layer latex bed with the top layer in its own separate zip-up cover. So the top layer of the bed functions like a topper.

Sleepy, thanks for the input, but I don’t want to buy a mattress on line. The people at Denver Mattress have treated my well for over 15 years, they will deliver and set up, and will recycle our old mattress. There is no way I want to try to get a 150 pound mattress up to our bedroom. Buying a $130 dollar topper on line-no problem, especially as Phoenix and Coventry have been using the Seven Comforts for a number of months.

After doing days of reading I was coming to the conclusion that Phoenix’ advice to buy firm, then add a topper if needed, was the best bet. I was ready to consider one of the “collapsing column” gel toppers if needed, but think it worth trying the Seven Comforts first as it is so reasonably priced.

Given all this, I would like to know what mattress you bought.

Thanks again, Lew

Sure, I understand. I just wanted to let you know what happened since I was the one considering the 7 Comforts topper most recently in this thread.
I didn’t especially want to buy a mattress online either, and I think if you have a good local mattress store with good quality/value, that’s for sure the way to go. In our case, we wanted all-latex and the only store in our area selling latex beds carried SavvyRest, which is a very good mattress but very expensive and way above our budget. So we tested different layerings in the store and then (since SleepEZ beds are very comparable to the SavvyRest) we “duplicated” what we had liked in the store when we ordered from SleepEz. And saved around $2,400.
:slight_smile:
The bed we got turned out to be easily as nice as the more expensive one we had tried in the store, so for us it worked out great! Just in case you’re interested in the details, I did a comparison/review in this thread:
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/savvyrest-7q-tranquility--topper-vs-sleepez-natural-7000--topper
I wish you luck; all I can say is buy good quality materials, not hype; and test it thoroughly before you buy!

Hi LEW,

Thanks for the kind words in this and the other thread :slight_smile:

Both the Aspen and the Snowmass only have an inch of polyfoam in the top half of the mattress so both of these would be within the guidelines that I generally suggest as being “acceptable”. Foam softening with only an inch of material that will soften more rapidly is not a big issue because of the latex below it (in the case of the Snowmass) or above and below it (in the case of the Aspen). having said that if you are “in between” two choices I would tend towards the one that was slightly firmer and the polyfoam in the Snowmass is quilted which will “pre-compress” it and make it a little more durable (although the latex above the polyfoam in the aspen would also shield it from some of the mechanical wear and add to its inherent durability as well.

You can read a little more about the Seven Comforts shredded latex topper in post #2 here and in post #38 here in this thread (which also talks about another shredded latex topper from Cozy Pure) which can provide some insights about why they can be less “risky” than a solid latex topper in some cases in terms of alignment. At the moment it seems that the Seven comforts is only available on their own site here and only in the king size.

I can tell you I have not noticed any heat issues or temperature increase compared to sleeping on a soft layer of solid latex and because it’s shredded and has a cotton cover I wouldn’t really expect one but because the particles are quite fine and will fill in the voids it could be a little less ventilating than a shredded latex topper with larger pieces.

I use the Natura Deluxe which is one of the protectors listed in post #89 here about the different types of protectors. It’s a wool protector (not thick enough to be called a mattress pad) with a breathable membrane and when I bought it my DH really wanted “waterproof” vs “water resistant”. Even with the wool though the “breathable membrane” can increase temperature vs a protector that doesn’t have the membrane at all and if I was to do it over again I would probably go with the Dormeir because it is also wool, stretchy, and doesn’t have the membrane so the airflow is a little less restricted even though it is not “waterproof” but only “resistant”.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply. The Dormier cover looks nice, though if it went over the 7 Comfort it would make it tough to fluff the topper. I am trying to make sure I protect the mattress well from any moisture or fluids so that the mattress warranty won’t be jeopardized.

I thought I would bring up another aspect of support vs. pressure relief that I haven’t seen discussed. My wife and I slept on a Costco Novaform memory jell topper for a while. Eventually, after it softened I found my shoulders aching badly when I slept on my back. I realized that the topper was letting my upper torso sink in while my shoulders stayed high. Essentially it was hammocking me into a round shouldered posture that was probably made worse by the tendon damage in my shoulders. Do you think the 7 Comforts topper would do this? I was in real pain until I figured out what was happening and returned the Novaform to Costco.

I have ordered the Snowmass and it will be delivered Saturday. I wasn’t concerned about the price difference between it and the Aspen, so I decided to take your advice and go firm and then look at toppers. I will do a review after we have it for a while and have fine-tuned it.

I just ordered the Seven Comfort topper. I was going to spend $100 at Denver Mattress for a fiber filled mattress pad for a little extra cushion. I realized it made more sense to put that money towards this topper. Not much risk here, especially after the positive reviews from Phoenix and Coventry. :stuck_out_tongue: Let’s hope we are as comfy as you two!

Hi LEW,

I don’t think the Dormier would make it any more difficult than any other type of protector that went over the topper and mattress. All of them usually have stretch sides and corners (like a fitted sheet) or elastic that lets you put it over the topper and then tuck it under the mattress. For most people “water resistant” would be fine and it would take a fairly serious “accident” to go though this but for “waterproof” then one of the membrane types is usually the choice even though it can be warmer. I chose the Natura because I wanted the wool but many others would choose the thinner type because it has less effect on the mattress but the most common type would normally be the thinner membrane types even with the possibility of some extra heat.

Lateral or “side to side” alignment as well as joint alignment can be as important as spinal alignment and can certainly be an issue. It’s discussed in a quite a few places in more depth including here and here and here and here and here.

The shredded latex in the Seven Comforts is relatively soft and less resilient than a solid layer. With side to side alignment on your back then displacement under the bony prominences (hips, shoulders, and pelvic crest) isn’t as important and you may be better off with a firmer topper to “hold up” the center part of your body more. I think your own experience, judgement, and “educated” intuition would probably be the best judge about whether a relatively firmer or softer topper would be better because I can’t see you on the mattress or feel what you feel. In either case it certainly wouldn’t be as “risky” as memory foam because even the shredded latex would be more resilient and supportive than lower density memory foam.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Once you receive it I would wait a few weeks to go through any adjustment to a new sleeping surface and any initial softening and break in of the mattress before deciding whether a topper is necessary of what type would be best if it is.

Phoenix

The 7C topper can ‘nest’ a bit I think. It’s pretty much the nature of a shredded or loose filled topper I think. It shakes out really nice though so it’s not a big deal to me. Obviously my 7C is still going strong and I still really like it. <3

I thought I would post an update on Seven Comforts. Their domain name expired on May 5th, so their website is gone. :frowning: Some of their other products are still available on Amazon. Let’s keep an eye on developments to see if the topper re-appears on Amazon. Lew

Hi Lew,

Wow … are you ever fast :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update. I’m curious as well if they just forgot to renew their domain, if they plan to continue on Amazon, or if there is some “other” explanation for the expiry.

I’ll keep an eye on them as well but it’s the first time I’ve seen both king and queen sizes unavailable on Amazon.

Phoenix

Bad news ordered seven comforts never got the cover. I tried to contact them by email 4 times and got auto replies only. They do not have a phone number listed on their site. I’m having to dispute my purchase with PayPal. I find the other latex cover (lanoodle) way to expensive 500 for the king. Any other thoughts.

Sorry to hear that you’re having to deal with a refund but PayPal is (normally) pretty straightforward about it. When I did my research (over a year ago), I only found 3 of the “shredded latex toppers” and one of them was the 7 comforts. The other two were the LaNoodle that you mentioned and the FloBeds topper. The FloBeds version looks interesting since it’s customizable but it looks to be around the same price as the LaNoodle version.

Since many places sell shredded latex and even LaNoodles by the pound you might want to look into having a tailor or a upholstery shop do a custom cover and see if you can bring the costs down that way. I know that my king size 7 Comforts topper weighs about 40 lbs and you can check with Phoenix about the size and weight of his LaNoodle topper for comparison. I know there are differences between the 7C and the LaNoodle and Phoenix can fill in more blanks than I could for comparisons - I’m pretty sure he’s got both kinds.

Hi MikeK,

That’s really unfortunate although like Coventry I think you will have no problem with a refund from Paypal. I hope you let us know how it turns out. In the meantime I’ve added a link to your post beside the description of the Seven Comforts in about a dozen posts around the forum that people may refer to so that others will know as well not to order it until (and if) their situation becomes clear.

Besides the Seven comforts … post #2 here and the other posts it links to have guidelines, suggestions, and sources for toppers that may help.

My comments about the Lanoodles are in post #38 here. I don’t remember what it weighed and I’ll have to see if we still have the shipping box with the label but I think it was around 15 lbs or so … perhaps less.

It’s certainly not as thick as the Seven comforts but the pieces or lanoodles are much larger and it has more of a featherbed feel to it so from a materials point of view it wouldn’t have the same “material” value but from a performance point of view it works very well.

I think that Coventry’s suggestion about buying the lanoodles by the pound and making your own topper with a cover that has either some kind of tufting or baffling is a good one. I think that with this design and the way the lanoodles are designed to “flow” more like a featherbed that tufting (like their own design) would be a better choice.

Phoenix

Pulled up seven comforts website and they are offering a great discount on the king size topper. Check it out

Hi Jaqfrst,

I saw that but I believe that’s where MikeK ordered from and didn’t receive it and is disputing his purchase through PayPal (which is why I linked many of the references to it around the forum to his post).

Phoenix

I unfortunately had the same issue as MikeK and did not receive the mattress topper from sevencomforts.com.

The company did not respond to two emails requesting a status update on my order. I placed a dispute with Pay-Pal and the company issued a refund on sevencomforts.com, but I have yet to see the money re-appear in Pay-Pal.

There is also an “Adjustment Fee” of $6.93 shown on the refund which I will need to further dispute if I do not receive the full amount I paid for the hassle they’ve caused me.

This is very disappointing given that the topper has good reviews, but it seems to be unobtainable.

Dallas - How long did you wait before you filed a claim?

I waited about a week and a half.

This may be a little reactionary, but after reading MikeK’s experience I got a little skeptical. I was further concerned as I paid for expedited (2 day) shipping and there was no evidence of the order being completed.

After two emails with no-response, and no phone number to contact the company, I decided it was not worth doing business on their site.