Review of the Seven Comforts latex topper

Hi there, I stumbled upon this review after doing some research for a new mattress topper. We have a talay latex mattress with a layer of wool on the top. We bought the mattress from European Sleepworks in Berkeley,Ca. We like the mattress a lot but I need a little more softness.

A couple of months ago, we bought a gussetted, cotton mattress topper filled, with what turned out to be, clusters of fiberfill in individual squares, sewn together. First couple of nights, it provided just the right amount of loft and softness. What we noticed is that after a couple hours of sleeping, the fiber fill would separate and we would be laying in the bottom of a valley, fiber fill on both sides of us. Every morning, I have to shake the topper, and shift the filling back in place. I have rotated the topper every two weeks when I change the sheets, but doesn’t help.

Most mornings, we wake up with stiff and achy backs. Without the topper, we have no complaints other than just wanting a little more lofty softness.

I love the idea of the seven comforts latex topper, but am wondering if this topper will do the same thing, because each square consists of the “little rolls”, and doesn’t have a solid layer of latex in each square.

FWIW, we thought about just buying a 2" latex topper from the store we bought the mattress from, but I am trying not to spend $400.00 + dollars, and the price on Amazon for the seven comforts latex topper is, for lack of a better word, lovely :cheer:

Hi GirlFriday,

The microrods of latex in the sections of the Seven Comforts are quite densely filled (it’s amazingly heavy) and latex tends to be quite sticky rather than slippery so you wouldn’t end up with bare spots from sleeping on it. It does displace to a degree under the pressure points but this is part of the attraction of using “shredded” latex over a solid layer (there is less risk of alignment issues). It is much more supportive, resilient, and dense than a fiberfill topper.

I’ve even used it as an emergency mattress on a hard floor and the person sleeping on it said it was amazingly comfortable for a 2" topper on a hard floor.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Hi, GirlFriday!

Exactly what Phoenix said. Right now I’ve got a flattened spot where I lay (after about 2 weeks :blush: of no fluffing) but there are no bare spots at all and it’s still providing softness and plushness. It’s more a degree of loft. I will say that the Seven Comforts is MUCH more densely packed than my old feather/down and my previous fiberfill toppers. It seriously weighs about 40 lbs. My husband and I are really pleased with it.

I will also say that I think the Seven Comforts (latex microrod) is sold out of the king size at this point. When I noticed there were only 20 or so left in stock at Amazon, I bought a second one. The cost for a solid latex king size topper was pretty high so I took a risk and tried this one. I’m glad I did.

Hi Coventry and Phoenix!

Thank you so much for your answers. Took your wise advice and purchased a queen size from Amazon last night. We have a full size mattress, but when we bought the mattress, I learned through trial and error to buy EVERYTHING in queen sizes (to not compress the mattress in any way). Other than having to do a little extra tucking every couple days, it works out quite nicely.

Luckily, DH and I are Amazon prime members, so the topper should be here on Wednesday. Really looking forward to not fluffing every couple hours and not waking up with achy backs. So appreciative of the Amazon reviews that led me to this forum!

Hi GirlFriday,

I’m looking forward to hearing about how it works for you and adding your feedback to ours :slight_smile:

It certainly is a good value IMO.

Phoenix

Absolutely Phoenix! I’m hoping Christmas comes early for us. I kid you not, whenever my husband wakes up to use the restroom in the middle of the night, I will try to fluff his side of the topper as quickly as possible… so he doesn’t have an achy back when he gets up for work. Crazy, huh?

Chat with you soon!

Hi GirlFriday,

That’s what I call “service” :slight_smile:

If nothing else … it will be nice that your middle of the night “fluffing” duties will be over … and he may never really know just how dedicated you were to relieving his achy back.

Phoenix

1 Like

Is the Seven Comforts latex topper treated with FR chemicals? Are toppers in general treated?

Also, wondering if you still like the topper.

Am considering ordering two layers of Dunlop with no cover and then using this topper as the comfort layer, and it would also provide a cover of sorts. This would save a few hundred dollars, and maybe provide better pressure relief than a 2" or 3" solid latex topper. Does this sound reasonable?

Thank you for all the great info.

Honestly, I’m not sure if it is treated with chemicals or not. I don’t think so since I’m moderately bothered by chemical smells on clothes (I can’t walk into a Forever 21 without getting a headache). I think this topper is either a factory 2nd or some sort of knock off of the COCOMAT brand since mine has COCOMAT all over it, almost like a watermark only woven into the fabric.

My husband and I really still like ours. It does have a latex smell that never bothered me (I liked it actually) and it needs fluffing when you change your bedding every week or two. Since it is little chunks of latex it has an uneven surface but when your laying on it you don’t feel that since they compress. I like it much better than the feather bed topper that I had. It does form a ‘nest’ where you lay down but it shakes right out. I normally just fluff it when I change the sheets and things so this isn’t a big deal for me. My husband loves it and will not sleep without it on the bed.

I don’t know how it directly compares to a solid latex topper or how it compares to La’Noodle topper since I haven’t owned either type. Of course, the price was much less than either of the other two options. When I purchased my two Seven Comforts King size toppers… I think they were both $129.00 each. So the price was one of the largest reasons I tried this topper.
Cozy Pure King size La’Noodle topper - $498.00
COCOMAT Magnolia (This is what I think this topper is my Seven Comforts pillow and this topper look exactly like these COCOMAT products)

I just saw the video by CozyPure comparing the Seven Comforts and the La’Noodle HERE. I don’t find my topper ‘hard’ at all like they’ve described in that video but the La’noodle topper does look softer. I wouldn’t think it’s 300 dollars softer though. :slight_smile: Also, they didn’t show them pulling out the latex from either product. I’ve pulled out the latex in my Seven Comforts and yes, there are pieces like that in there BUT by and large there are ‘noodles’ that look similar to the La’Noodle topper. This is a picture I’ve taken of the latex from my Seven Comforts pillow:

ETA: I can’t get the image to link up correctly but you can copy and paste that URL into another browser window and check out those pictures I’ve taken.

Well, I hope this information helps :slight_smile:

Thank you.

BTW, you can buy the topper direct from Seven Comforts for $129.95 queen (free shipping) vs. $159.95 on Amazon. Link is here:

http://www.sevencomforts.com/mattress-pads/latex-foam-mattress-pad.html

Just thought this might be helpful to anyone else considering this topper. I like to save every penny! :slight_smile:

I ordered the first one from Amazon on May 31 of last year and paid $115.95 for it. I ordered my 2nd one at the end of June for $115.95. I didn’t pay shipping for either item. I know Amazon will increase prices based sometimes on your computer Apple! cough cough but they do use demographic pricing based on IP address and other information.

Do they really??? The bums! :ohmy: I have a Mac…

Oh, and I have emailed Seven Comforts to ask if the topper is treated with FRCs. Will let you know what I find out. :blink:

Hehe, in all fairness I think people got mad about the ‘special’ prices that Apple users were getting so I don’t think they do that anymore but they did try it. Also, I think people are getting a bit more savvy about price comparison. I do know my computer at work seems to get better pricing than my home computer.

Phoenix and I both wrote to Seven Comforts but never got a reply. I wish you luck in getting somebody to help you but from past experience, I’m not sure if they will assist. Phoenix I think tried several times to no avail.

Hmmm, that’s not good. Also, no phone number on the website, which concerns me. Probably they are in China or something and may not even speak English so don’t want to take calls. I do worry about that lack of customer service and don’t tend to trust Chinese products after the melamine and lead-in-toys disasters, just to name two.

Am now rethinking this topper. This WHOLE mattress search begin with my concern over FRCs so it would be ridiculous to go to the expense of the non-FRC mattress and then top it with a FRC-containing topper!

In fact, I think I’ll pass on the Seven Comforts and look elsewhere… Oy vey. :frowning:

Well, I’m glad we got to chat about that issue then :slight_smile:

I know I mentioned it earlier but have you looked at the Cozy Pure La’noodle one? It does look really nice. The price is a bit steep but most likely for good reason.

Thanks. I did just look at that one. Looks really nice. Expensive though; more than twice the price of the 7C one.

Have you ever tried a wool topper? The cotton cover stuffed with wool? They look nice but I’ve never even touched one, much less slept on one.

Hi Sleep1 and Coventry,

I had to catch up a bit with your conversation before replying but I own both the Seven Comforts and the Lanoodles toppers so I’ll share a few thoughts about how they compare (some of which is addressed by the Cozy Pure video) so that people can get a better sense of how they may compare in terms of feel and performance.

The first thing I should mention is that the Seven comforts uses unbleached cotton while the Cozy Pure uses organic cotton in the shell. They both also use “pieces” of latex in the filling. This is where the similarities end and the differences begin … and they are very different products in spite of some general similarities.

The Seven comforts topper is definitely denser and substantially heavier than the Lanoodles and has a much greater fill density of latex inside it. It also has separate compartments so the latex doesn’t “flow” from one area to another as much as the Lanoodles. This is neither better or worse … just different. The Seven comforts is closer to a solid latex layer (although less resilient than solid latex and displacing a little more) while the Lanoodles is about as close as you could get to the feel and performance of a soft featherbed using latex.

Because the Seven Comforts uses smaller and thinner “pieces” of latex … it compacts more and displaces less than the Lanoodles. If you squeeze a handful of a similar amount of the latex in each … the Lanoodles material will clearly feel softer and have more resilience and bounce than the same “handful” of the Seven Comforts material.

The Seven Comforts is thicker (about 2") and maintains a more even thickness across the surface because of the compartments while the Lanoodles overall is thinner and will have more thickness variations across the surface (like a featherbed) and will “flow” more from area to area.

Because the Seven Comforts is thicker it feels “soft” because there is more material inside it and it displaces less. As Coventry mentioned … it compresses in each section over time but it is easy to re-fluff as well.

The Lanoodles though is also surprisingly soft in comparison because the latex itself has bigger and more resilient pieces which are more springy even though it is thinner overall and has less material in it. It was surprisingly “soft” to me considering the lower amount of latex inside it and considering that the latex filling was much less dense.

I think the biggest difference between them would be in their relative pressure relief qualities and thickness and in their relative “feel”. The Seven Comforts being thicker will provide a bit more material to sink into and provide a little more pressure relief over a larger surface area because it will displace less. It would be in between a solid 2" layer of latex and the Lanoodles.

The Lanoodles on the other hand will provide a little more surface softness and allow the “feel” of the layers below it to come through more and it has a little more resilient feel (which I like) and the pressure relief will be more specific to certain parts of the body. Like a featherbed … it would add some extra surface softness with less risk to overall alignment than a solid latex layer or even the Seven Comforts because it will “flow” around the more protuding parts of the body more and allow them to sink through more while it will compress under the parts of the body with more surface area (in turn relieving pressure on the pressure points that aren’t bearing as much weight).

The Seven Comforts stays more “even”, although it does compress in areas under weight while the Lanoodles can be fluffed more like a featherbed and you can “concentrate” the latex pieces in different ways depending on preferences. It doesn’t stay as “even” but this is also not its design or goal and it’s strength is it’s lighter and very nice “feel” and more point specific pressure reduction.

Overall I would say they are both high quality and great products and each of them are unique and different from each other in spite of the temptation to compare them directly and view them though their similarities.

The Seven Comforts may be better “value” if you only considered the amount and weight of materials alone and would provide a little more of the overall pressure relief that comes with the thickness of the topper and the greater fill density that allows you to sink in a little more and displaces a little less. Of course it goes without saying that commodity value is only part of the value of any product and differences in performance and feel in the case of a topper is just as important as the raw material cost and in the case of these products is perhaps the most important part of all because there are few if any directly comparable alternatives to either of them.

The Lanoodles on the other hand would probably be a preference for someone who wanted more additional surface softness and resilience and some extra more point specific pressure relief along with more of the “lighter” feel of a featherbed that “flowed” around you and “felt” very soft and well … cuddly. As odd or contradictory as it sounds … it is probably more “comfortable” than the seven comforts but a little less pressure relieving.

A solid latex layer would be different again from both of these and would provide more of an overall weight redistribution along the entire surface of the body. It would isolate firmer layers below it better than a topper that used pieces and displaced more but it would also be more risky over comfort layers that were already fairly close to being thick or soft enough because it may “stop” the lighter parts like the shoulders from sinking in far enough while at the same time “allowing” the heavier parts to sink in too far into thicker/softer comfort layers. This is why displacement that “flows around” areas like the shoulder or hips can be less risky than a solid layer as long as there was enough additional softness underneath it to prevent pressure points.

All of these choices would be very suitable in different circumstances and with slightly different objectives. A solid layer of latex could work well over a layer underneath it that was clearly too firm to provide good pressure relief. The denser Seven Comforts would be “in the middle” and compress less and displace more than a solid layer and “allow” more of the deeper layers to come through. The Lanoodles would probably provide the nicest surface “feel” of all of them and provide pressure point relief in more specific areas that needed it over layers below them that were a little softer and needed more fine tuning with the least possible risk that can come from comfort layers that are too thick and soft to provide the best possible alignment.

It’s sometimes very difficult to describe more subjective feelings in objective terms but hopefully I’ve done some justice to the differences between them.

IMO both the Seven Comforts and the Lanoodles are very effective at what they do and because they are both unique and different … the performance and “feel” you are looking for would be the main reason I would choose either of them.

None of these options (Solid latex layer of a certain ILD, Seven Comforts, and Lanoodles) are directly comparable to each other in terms of feel and performance except in the most general of terms (they each have a cover, each contain latex, and each are “soft”). Each of them could be a great choice based on which one provided the degree of fine tuning or change that someone was looking for, the different risks to alignment that is involved in each, and on the overall importance of the balance between overall pressure relief, point specific pressure relief, surface softness and resilience, and the overall “feel” that was most important.

Edit: see post #52 here first if you are considering ordering the Seven Comforts topper since they don’t appear to be available any longer.

Phoenix

Is the 7 comforts washable? That might alleviate some of my concerns over any chemicals in the cover… It does sound like a very good topper.

Hi Sleepy1,

No … the cover isn’t removable so unfortunately it’s not washable.

Phoenix