Review of the Ultimate Dreams mattress

Excellent, thanks for all the information. I have ordered the Luna mattress protector, and I am ordering the DreamFoam latex mattress at a firmness of 7 after talking with Chuck (who was very nice and helpful as well). I have put notes in my calender to remind myself to come back and comment on how they are performing in three and six months (since people who did that were very helpful to me).

Thank you again for all of your help. This has been an incredibly valuable resource for me, and I am amazed at how friendly, and knowledgeable, and quick to respond you are. You and this website have made shopping for a mattress almost fun, and I couldnā€™t be happier with the results.

Hi EJ43,

Thanks for the kind words ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made great choices and Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback once youā€™ve received them and have had a chance to sleep on them for a while.

Phoenix

Iā€™ve been reading about these beds for a couple days now and it wasnā€™t until I read this personā€™s comment I finally understood there is a ā€œpillow topā€ type feel to these beds, which unfortunately might not be what Iā€™m looking for either. I tried a 6" latex (no layers, just 6" of latex) in a store and it felt greatā€¦ I was really hoping these Ultimate Dreams beds had the same feel.

Iā€™m also in Canada and it seems the only way to get these beds is through Amazon.ca, which may not provide me with the customization options you mentioned. Maybe Iā€™ll try calling brooklyn beds directly and see if they have any advice.

Iā€™ve also noticed that the prices for these beds is significantly higher on Amazon.ca (Canada) compared to Amazon.com. After taxes itā€™s a $1,000 bedā€¦ doesnā€™t really seem very ā€œbudgetā€ to me, although I canā€™t say Iā€™ve found anything better for the price :stuck_out_tongue:

I do have one question thoughā€¦ is a 6" 100% latex bed (no layers) suitable for a 6ā€™0 160 pound adult? I havenā€™t been able to find much of an answer to this question. I just find it a bit confusing because 6" seems to be very thin for a mattress.

What would the advantage of an 8" or 9" mattress of the same construction be over a 6" one?

Also the type of latex in these beds is Arpico Talalay or Dunlop (choice available). I also read that Arpico is generally known for having high quality Dunlop latex - is their Talalay latex also good quality?

[quote=ā€œoveractive imaginationā€ post=37801][quote=ā€œPhoenixā€ post=21144]Hi suffolk,

It actually is listed in their descriptions (see the product description here) and is also mentioned in many threads around the forum. There have even been threads that talked about how they changed the quilting pattern for some of their customers to create a firmer or softer surface that was ā€œin betweenā€ their regular comfort choices. Their description couldnā€™t be more clear that they use 1.5" of soft reflex foam in their quilting.

Phoenix[/quote]

Iā€™ve been reading about these beds for a couple days now and it wasnā€™t until I read this personā€™s comment I finally understood there is a ā€œpillow topā€ type feel to these beds, which unfortunately might not be what Iā€™m looking for either. I tried a 6" latex (no layers, just 6" of latex) in a store and it felt greatā€¦ I was really hoping these Ultimate Dreams beds had the same feel.

Iā€™m also in Canada and it seems the only way to get these beds is through Amazon.ca, which may not provide me with the customization options you mentioned. Maybe Iā€™ll try calling brooklyn beds directly and see if they have any advice.

Iā€™ve also noticed that the prices for these beds is significantly higher on Amazon.ca (Canada) compared to Amazon.com. After taxes itā€™s a $1,000 bedā€¦ doesnā€™t really seem very ā€œbudgetā€ to me, although I canā€™t say Iā€™ve found anything better for the price :stuck_out_tongue:

I do have one question thoughā€¦ is a 6" 100% latex bed (no layers) suitable for a 6ā€™0 160 pound adult? I havenā€™t been able to find much of an answer to this question. I just find it a bit confusing because 6" seems to be very thin for a mattress.

What would the advantage of an 8" or 9" mattress of the same construction be over a 6" one?

Also the type of latex in these beds is Arpico Talalay or Dunlop (choice available). Iā€™ve read that Arpico is good quality for Dunlop, but Arpico Talalay was not mentionedā€¦ is it safe to assume it would be very good quality as well?

Small update - was talking to Chuck from Dreamfoam on the phone and he said that for all of their ā€œfirmā€ (level 3) beds on Amazon they do a firmer top quilt layer with tighter stitching as well compared to their softer mattresses. (In Canada there is no ā€œtalk to chuckā€ option or anything like thatā€¦ you just have to choose ā€œfirmā€)

He also said that top layer is closer to an inch than an inch and a half.

Price is higher on Amazon.ca because they have to ship it to Amazon Canada first.

Hi overactive imagination,

While there is no standard ā€œpillowtop feelā€ because there are an endless amount of different types of pillowtop mattresses that feel very differently from each other depending on the thickness and type of materials in the pillowtop and the rest of the layers and components of the mattress mattress (and this mattress has many options to choose the firmness of the latex) ā€¦ this certainly isnā€™t a pillowtop which is a different mattress design completely. Itā€™s what is known in the industry as a tight top and there are many tight tops that use a quilted cover. There is more about the pros and cons of quilted covers in post #12 here and the posts it links to.

As you mentioned ā€¦ they also have two different types of quilting pattern in their cover that can give ā€œhalf stepsā€ in firmness because one would feel softer and one would feel firmer with the same ILD of latex but of course the ā€œstandardā€ with the firm would be the firmer cover version.

I would suggest calling Dreamfoam Bedding not Brooklyn Bedding (which I see youā€™ve done) because each of their sister companies has their own customer service staff that deal with the different mattresses that each of them make.

Just to confirm for other customers in Canada though they ship all their Canadian mattresses to the Canadian fulfillment center and there are four firmness options available in Canada. They will also ship to a destination close to the border for those Canadian customers that are able to go across the border and take the mattress home themselves across the border and for these customers any of their US firmness options would be available.

The Canadian dollar is lower than the US dollar and there are also costs involved in shipping across the border of course so prices in Canada tend to be higher but if you were to compare these to most other similar mattresses available in Canada they are still a great value. Latex is a more premium material than the types of foam that you will usually find in most ā€œbudgetā€ mattresses and they are usually in much higher price ranges. Even in the US you can see one of the Sealy Optimum mattresses here ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint:us-mattress.com/sealy-optimum-latex-dreams.html.
as an example that uses a less costly version of latex (mostly synthetic continuous pour Dunlop) with a 7" polyfoam base layer that sells for considerably more even than the Dreamfoam mattress in Canada.

It would really depend on the person and their sleeping position, their personal preferences and sensitivities, and the specifics of the 6" latex mattress in terms of the type of latex, the firmness of the latex, and the specifics of the cover (including the quilting). A thinner mattress will tend to feel firmer than a thicker mattress if all the other factors in the design are the same but it also depends on the specifics of both. A thicker mattress has more ā€œroomā€ to add a softer comfort layer which would be a preference for many people ā€¦ especially if they sleep on their side which typically needs softer comfort layers. There is more about the pros and cons of a thicker mattress or thicker layers in post #14 here.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to use specs (either of a mattress or a person) or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ to know which mattress will be the best ā€œmatchā€ for someone in terms of PPP (see post #2 here).

Arpico doesnā€™t make Talalay ā€¦ only 100% natural Dunlop. The Dunlop they make is good quality yes. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Phoenix

After perusing the DreamFoam website and watching their video at the top of the page, Iā€™m confused as to why theyā€™re not a virtual all-in-one solution for PPP concerns. I mean, my wife and I are both stomach sleepers, and based on the mattress buying suggestions from Phoenix that I have been reading, we should be looking for a thinner, firmer comfort layer, correct? If that is the case, then it looks like I could simply rearrange the layers in the 12-in-1 mattress and be set for years to come!

Iā€™m sure Iā€™m oversimplifying this, but can someone help me understand why DreamFoam isnā€™t the best choice for EVERYBODY?

ā€“Joel

Hi DJJazzyJoel22,

I switched your first post to the 12 in 1 customizable topic because it was posted in a topic about a different mattress.

The short answer is that there is no such thing as a mattress that is ā€œbest for everybodyā€. Different people prefer the feel and response of different materials (such as memory foam, latex, innersprings etc) or different designs and there are also more than 12 different types of mattresses or designs in the market that people may prefer that can accommodate the needs and preferences of different people which is why Dreamfoam and most other manufacturers make a wide range of different mattresses with many different designs and combinations of materials and components.

Having said that ā€¦ IMO the Dreamfoam 12 in 1 is certainly a unique and great quality/value choice for those who are looking for a highly customizable mattress in a lower budget range that uses high quality polyfoam (normally found in higher priced mattresses) and where the odds a very high that one of the configurations will be very suitable for them in terms of PPP.

While it may not be for everyone ā€¦ they certainly did a great job with the design of the mattress, the quality of the polyfoam, and options that the design makes available to customize the mattress after a purchase and itā€™s a combination of benefits that would be very difficult to find in this budget range.

Phoenix

Hi DJJazzyJoel22,

While the mattress itself is new ā€¦ the materials that it uses arenā€™t and they have been used for many years in the industry so its properties and durability are well known and in terms of durability a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the specific mattress they are used in.

There is more about the many variables (including the person and the mattress) that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress in post #4 here and the posts it links to and while there are too many variables for anyone to know how long a mattress will maintain its comfort and support for any specific individual ā€¦ it would be a very reasonable to expect that it will maintain reasonable comfort and support for the length of the warranty. The top layers of a mattress are generally the limiting factor in the useful life of a mattress because they are subject to the most wear and tear from constant compression and if you happen to be one of the exceptions either because of your body type or because you are more sensitive to the normal changes and softening in a mattress over time ā€¦ it also has the additional benefit that goes with a component mattress that you can just replace a single layer if you need to (or if your needs and preferences change) without having to replace the complete mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I was reading your reply/post #108 under this topic. I am considering a latex mattress.

I live in zip code 86001, and if you can point me to a nearby retailer who might have a floor model for me to try out (say, in comparison to Tempur-Pedic), Iā€™d appreciate it.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi MIMEWA,

There are very few good options that Iā€™m aware of in the Flagstaff area (see post #2 here) and if I was in your shoes I would probably take a day trip to Phoenix where there are many great options available in the area including 3 of the members of this site which all make some great quality/value latex mattresses.

A trip there will give you the chance to compare the feel and performance of various latex mattresses with Tempurpedic memory foam mattresses but latex and memory foam are very different and arenā€™t directly comparable to each other (see post #2 here)

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, thanks for your information on the mattress! Iā€™ve decided to try my luck on this mattress based off of my research (which youā€™ve contributed a significant chunk to). Hopefully will update you guys when I get it and as I sleep on it.

Hi sgogeta4,

As you know I think highly of Dreamfoam Bedding and I think you are making a great quality/value choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when youā€™ve received it and had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

After one full night with the mattress, I have to say, if the room is warm, the bed feels pretty hot. Iā€™m surprised since I thought latex wouldnā€™t hold heat as much as say a foam mattress. Other than that, itā€™s pretty comfy and I woke up feeling refreshed. The medium firmness plush is a nice middle level that is pretty comfortable. The pillow was super soft and squishy, so I didnā€™t use it for my head. Is that what you guys got for the free latex pillow? I was surprised in how small the package was when it arrived. It was vacuum sealed and expanded quickly into a full sized queen (which feels smaller than the queen I had at my old place, which is weird since this measures the correct 60x80). Iā€™m waiting for my bed frame, which I hope will arrive on Monday (had gotten delayed and this weekend got in the way). Hopefully, Iā€™ll still have good rest over the next few weeks and months. Will keep you guys updated!

Hi sgogeta4,

Thanks for the update and feedback ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Post #2 here has more information about all the factors that work together to affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress and may be helpful if you find that sleeping temperature is an issue on any mattress.

Iā€™m also looking forward to any ongoing updates you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

The heat retention might be related my old cotton sheets. So I will be testing out some new sheets shortly. I was wondering if a mattress protector would worsen the situation? Any recommendations for materials/brands for sheets and/or protectors? Iā€™m not the biggest fan of satin and am thinking of trying something other than cotton for sheets.

A few thoughts:

1. A thin wool protector like the St. Dormeir should help with temperature regulation
  2. I have found that satin-like sheets made from new fabrics such as lyocell sleep warm
  3. Poly cotton sheets sleep very warm
  4. Higher thread count sheets tend to sleep warmer than lower thread count
  5. I have not tried bamboo but can say that my bamboo tee shirts keep me warmer than my cotton tees
  6. Iā€™m a warm sleeper and have found the combination of the Dormeir mattress protector and lower count (250-300) Egyptian cotton sheets to be just right.

Hi sgogeta4,

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here. Some (such as the St Dormeir that magpie suggested) can help with heat issues and some (like the thin ā€œsemi breathableā€ membrane type) can make things worse for some people.

There is more about sheets and different fabrics in post #7 here and the posts it links to but if you are looking for the coolest sleeping sheets then my vote would go to linen.

magpieā€™s suggestions are also great.

Phoenix

Iā€™m a little confused about the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop vs. the Bamboo Bliss from Brooklyn beddingā€¦ Seems like they are very similar. Is this an issue of same company, different brands?

Thanks

Hi ceb777,

Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam are ā€œsister companiesā€ (see post #4 here and post #3 here).

There is more about the differences between the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop and the Bamboo Bliss (and the Cotton Camilla) in post #16 here that should be helpful in making a choice between them. Both would make a great quality/value choice but which one would be ā€œbest for youā€ would depend on your circumstances, how you feel about the differences between them, and the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix