Review of the Ultimate Dreams mattress

Hi Phoenix,

I was reading your reply/post #108 under this topic. I am considering a latex mattress.

I live in zip code 86001, and if you can point me to a nearby retailer who might have a floor model for me to try out (say, in comparison to Tempur-Pedic), Iā€™d appreciate it.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi MIMEWA,

There are very few good options that Iā€™m aware of in the Flagstaff area (see post #2 here) and if I was in your shoes I would probably take a day trip to Phoenix where there are many great options available in the area including 3 of the members of this site which all make some great quality/value latex mattresses.

A trip there will give you the chance to compare the feel and performance of various latex mattresses with Tempurpedic memory foam mattresses but latex and memory foam are very different and arenā€™t directly comparable to each other (see post #2 here)

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, thanks for your information on the mattress! Iā€™ve decided to try my luck on this mattress based off of my research (which youā€™ve contributed a significant chunk to). Hopefully will update you guys when I get it and as I sleep on it.

Hi sgogeta4,

As you know I think highly of Dreamfoam Bedding and I think you are making a great quality/value choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when youā€™ve received it and had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

After one full night with the mattress, I have to say, if the room is warm, the bed feels pretty hot. Iā€™m surprised since I thought latex wouldnā€™t hold heat as much as say a foam mattress. Other than that, itā€™s pretty comfy and I woke up feeling refreshed. The medium firmness plush is a nice middle level that is pretty comfortable. The pillow was super soft and squishy, so I didnā€™t use it for my head. Is that what you guys got for the free latex pillow? I was surprised in how small the package was when it arrived. It was vacuum sealed and expanded quickly into a full sized queen (which feels smaller than the queen I had at my old place, which is weird since this measures the correct 60x80). Iā€™m waiting for my bed frame, which I hope will arrive on Monday (had gotten delayed and this weekend got in the way). Hopefully, Iā€™ll still have good rest over the next few weeks and months. Will keep you guys updated!

Hi sgogeta4,

Thanks for the update and feedback ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Post #2 here has more information about all the factors that work together to affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress and may be helpful if you find that sleeping temperature is an issue on any mattress.

Iā€™m also looking forward to any ongoing updates you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

The heat retention might be related my old cotton sheets. So I will be testing out some new sheets shortly. I was wondering if a mattress protector would worsen the situation? Any recommendations for materials/brands for sheets and/or protectors? Iā€™m not the biggest fan of satin and am thinking of trying something other than cotton for sheets.

A few thoughts:

1. A thin wool protector like the St. Dormeir should help with temperature regulation
  2. I have found that satin-like sheets made from new fabrics such as lyocell sleep warm
  3. Poly cotton sheets sleep very warm
  4. Higher thread count sheets tend to sleep warmer than lower thread count
  5. I have not tried bamboo but can say that my bamboo tee shirts keep me warmer than my cotton tees
  6. Iā€™m a warm sleeper and have found the combination of the Dormeir mattress protector and lower count (250-300) Egyptian cotton sheets to be just right.

Hi sgogeta4,

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here. Some (such as the St Dormeir that magpie suggested) can help with heat issues and some (like the thin ā€œsemi breathableā€ membrane type) can make things worse for some people.

There is more about sheets and different fabrics in post #7 here and the posts it links to but if you are looking for the coolest sleeping sheets then my vote would go to linen.

magpieā€™s suggestions are also great.

Phoenix

Iā€™m a little confused about the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop vs. the Bamboo Bliss from Brooklyn beddingā€¦ Seems like they are very similar. Is this an issue of same company, different brands?

Thanks

Hi ceb777,

Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam are ā€œsister companiesā€ (see post #4 here and post #3 here).

There is more about the differences between the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop and the Bamboo Bliss (and the Cotton Camilla) in post #16 here that should be helpful in making a choice between them. Both would make a great quality/value choice but which one would be ā€œbest for youā€ would depend on your circumstances, how you feel about the differences between them, and the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

New Member. Just ordered Ultimate Dreams EuroTop, 7 softness level. Hope I made the right decision.

Iā€™ve had the number 7 for one year now and we love it. I can sleep in any position and sleep like a baby. Hope you like it.

Hi RedEye,

Congratulations on your new mattress ā€¦ you certainly made a great quality/value choice :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback after youā€™ve received it as well.

Phoenix

So I came across this mattress about a week ago and out of all the mattress/ mattress types I have researched this mattress seemed to be getting some of the highest reviews. Now after reading more into the reviews I noticed that the more recent reviews (from this year) seemed to be mainly negative. Some people where noticing that the description of the mattressā€™ high density foam had changed from 2.35lb to 1.5lb and that other factors such as sleeping very hot and the development of sagging where occurring. A lot of them where saying that the mattress lasted them roughly a year before it became unbearable. I realize that the mere 20 negative reviews is a very small comparison to the 398 raving positive reviews (on amazon), but most of the positive reviews are written after about 1 week to 2 months of ownership. In my opinion the reviews that are written after a year or more of ownership are the most helpful. So my question is, is this mattress still all its talked up to be or is it mainly just the new owners giving it the 41/2 stars?

I would echo this EXACT sentiment. I am a little weary of purchasing this mattress now because of all the reviews that report sagging over a year and the need to replace the mattress.

Phoneix, how do you respond to this?

I really am at a loss here with shopping for a mattress. I want to make the best decision.

I went to Jordanā€™s and looked at this latex mattress: https://www.jordans.com/pranasleep-pranayama-firm-pran-60002
I know you have responded to similar posts, but I think they were mostly for more high-end PranaSleep mattresses. It is a bit more expensive than I am looking for. I had a very bad run-in with two mattresses from Boston Bed. They both were very bad for me and had a lot of sagging after just a few months, so I gave it to my sister and went back to a mattress my grandmother had bought in the 90s!

Any help, as always, is appreciated!

Hi fnym and JayD2014,

Since both of you have the same question I will reply to both of you here :slight_smile:

I would be very cautious about reading too much into any online reviews either positive or negative (see post #13 here) but since this is one of the most popular mattresses on both Amazon and on this forum the question has come up on a number of occasions and you can see my more detailed comments in post #2 here.

@ JayD2014,

As you can see in the description of the mattress it also has 1.5" of relatively lower quality/density polyfoam in the quilting layers but like the Ultimate Dreams this is also inside the guidelines I would suggest of ā€œabout an inch or soā€ of lower quality/density materials in a quilting layer (see here). Other than that ā€¦ the layers below the quilting are all good quality so there are no obvious weak links in the mattress. It only has an inch of latex (vs 3" in the Ultimate Dreams) but the everlast material in the support core is a higher density polyfoam with ā€œlatex likeā€ properties although itā€™s not in the same quality/durability range or as costly a material as latex. The biggest potential issue with this mattress would be its relative ā€œvalueā€ compared to other similar mattresses that use lower amounts of latex since there there really isnā€™t enough latex to even call it a latex hybrid but is more about the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you decide on its ā€œvalueā€ based on the criteria that are most important to you and how it compares to the other mattresses you are considering.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply! Would you say that the Prana Firm mattress that I just asked you about would be a good ā€œtest bedā€ to try out when considering the DreamFoam mattress? Iā€™m in the 02324 zip code in case you think I can try other places too to get close to knowing what this UD mattress will be like. Thanks again for having this site!

Hi jayD2014,

Not particularly no. It only has an inch of latex which really isnā€™t a significant part of its design and there is so little latex and more polyfoam than latex in the comfort layers so it wouldnā€™t give you much sense of what the latex would feel like in thicker comfort layers or be a particularly useful guideline for any of the firmness levels for the Ultimate Dreams.

If some careful and objective testing indicates that the Prana Firm was a good match for you in terms of PPP then the only real ā€œguidelineā€ it would give you would be a very generic indication that you do well with mattresses that are on the firmer end of the range. You would probably be better off testing a mattress that used thicker layers of latex in the comfort layers (particularly Talalay latex) to get a better sense of what Talalay latex ā€œfeels likeā€ in different firmness levels or mattress designs.

The better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the Bridgewater, MA area would be listed in the Boston list in post #2 here and in the Providence list in post #4 here. You would need to make some phone calls to find out which if any of them carry a mattress that has a similar design and layering (or at least a similar amount of latex in the upper layers which is what you will ā€œfeelā€ the most" when you first lie on a mattress) that would also provide you with the specifics of the ā€œcomfort specsā€ of their mattress (such as ILD) but some of the Spring Air latex hybrids
ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint:cardis.com/mattresses/mattresses.php?.
have some similarities (you can see some comments about them in post #5 here) although they are also different designs and use different combinations of material and layer thicknesses and you may not be able to find out the firmness of the latex or other layers inside them because this is a ā€œcomfort specā€ that many retailers donā€™t provide. In many cases even relatively small differences between two mattresses can make a surprising difference in how they feel and perform for some people but they at least are in the same general ā€œlatex/polyfoam hybridā€ mattress category. There would probably be some others that are in a similar category as well.

Phoenix

Thanks again! I feel bad for constant comments, but would this mattress from Jordanā€™s be a good one to ā€œtry outā€ too in addition to the ones you mentioned at Cardiā€™s? It seemed the materials are close (???)
https://www.jordans.com/jordan-s-mattress-factory-lanai-latex-jmfb-20022