Review of the Ultimate Dreams mattress

The last few posts have been calling the Ultimate Dreams latex mattress a ā€œmemory foam.ā€ Is this accurate?? I didnā€™t think it had any memory foam in it.

Hi jayD2014,

The original review in this topic and most of the comments in the topic have been about the Ultimate Dreams latex hybrid mattress
ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Amazon.com.
but Dreamfoam makes a wide range of mattresses including memory foam and some of these also include ā€œUltimate Dreamsā€ as part of the name of the mattress (see here and here for two examples) so some of the members here may have posted in this thread without realizing that the ā€œUltimate Dreamsā€ mattress that is the topic of most of the discussion here was the Ultimate Dreams latex not the Ultimate Dreams memory foam mattresses or they may also have confused latex with memory foam.

I hope that clarifies any confusion.

Phoenix

Iā€™m sure this has been pointed out, but how much of a negative is the change in the base from 2.35lbs of high density base foam to the now 1.5lbs foam. Based on the mattress guide about cores on the underground site, a 1.5lbs foam core is not acceptable. So has this change effected opinions about this mattress? Has it changed from a daily use Master bedroom to a occasional use spare room in terms of durability?

I thought it was still 2.35lb core- where does it specify 1.5 now? Just ordered one via Amazon, excited for it to come!

The weight of the core is listed on the DreamFoam site

https://dreamfoambedding.com/index.php?route=common/home

But On page 1 post 1 of this thread (from a few years ago) it is noted as 2.35. You can read the full debate including the Phoenix response here and at post #14
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/brooklyn-bedding-vs-dreamfoam-beddinglimitstart=0#19558

Here Phoenix argues that the change to 1.5lbs foam should not be significant ā€¦ But this seems to contradict the educational section of this site which seems to indicate that 1.5lbs foam is not HD and is not suitable for mattress construction.

What am i misunderstanding here?

Hi MrM1 and 203sbvert,

Iā€™m not sure where you read that this wasnā€™t acceptable but it would certainly be a suitable choice for a mattress in this budget range or even higher (see the guidelines here). There is also more about polyfoam support cores in this article. You may have been reading the article about comfort layers which suggests avoiding 1.5 lb polyfoam comfort layers in a one sided construction because the weakest link of a mattress is generally in the upper layers.

While this is somewhat of an old subject because the change was made a long time ago ā€¦ it has been the subject of many questions (probably because of an Amazon review that talks about it shows up on top of the ā€œnegativeā€ list) and you can see my thoughts about it (and the review) in post #2 here and the posts it links to (including the post that MrM1 linked).

For most people that arenā€™t in a heavier weight range 1.5 lb polyfoam would be fine and this would be a very good quality/value and durable choice.

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œPhoenixā€ post=41101]

Iā€™m not sure where you read that this wasnā€™t acceptable but it would certainly be a suitable choice for a mattress in this budget range or even higher (see the guidelines here). [/quote]

I was taking it from the second link you posted ā€¦

ā€œRegular conventional polyfoam: This is the lowest grade of polyfoam and weighs less than 1.5 lbs per cubic foot. It is the least expensive and is not really suitable for use in a mattress at all ā€¦ either as a soft comfort layer (unless it is in the range of around an inch or so or less in a quilting layer) or as a support material ā€¦ unless the mattress is for occasional use or is meant to last a very short timeā€

But i missed the phrase ā€œless thanā€. So i am guessing 1.5lbs is right on the edge of acceptable. :blush:

Hi MrM1,

This is referring to polyfoam that is LESS than 1.5 lbs which means to avoid foam densities in the 1.2 or 1.3 lb range (or even in the 1.4 lb range which would be ā€œon the edgeā€).

You can see my comments about 1.5 lb polyfoam support layers in the next paragraph in the same article.

Phoenix

Ok thanks. This bed is in my short list and when i picked up that the density had changed after having read so much of the good about theses beds, , it just made me wonder if that was going to be a durability factor.

I am shopping for a new master bed to replace a 5 year old S-brand that has probably been dead for the past 3 year. I have several good options within a few hours of me including a local warehouse that sells Therapedic, Symbol and Golden Mattress. Fox Mattress is not to far over in Holly Hill and also The Original Mattress Factory. So i have some options, shopping and comparing to do.

Right now I am kind gun shy of spring beds (maybe i should not be), But after having really bad experiences with 2 S-brand spring beds in 8 years i was leaning toward latex or synthetic latex and this beed seemed about the only one that stayed in the mid budget range.

Hi MrM1,

You certainly have some good options available to you and Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Just placed an order on eurotop latex mattress from dream foam and canā€™t wait to give it a try!

Hi jofoliage,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know you made a high quality/value choice and I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you receive it.

Phoenix

I have skinned thru this thread and am wondering if there are any reports of dips, body impression, sagging or concaving 2 or more years out.

Hi MrM1,

Yes, you will find some percentage of feedback about soft spots or sagging (virtual or visible impressions) with every mattress ā€¦ especially in this budget range. In the case of the Ultimate Dreams latex (which I assume is the mattress you mean) the percentage will be very low compared to mattresses you will usually find in this budget range because talalay latex is such a durable material (and not normally found in mattresses in this price range) and holds up better in a comfort layer than any other foam material. Most of these reports will either be because of an initial choice that was too soft in the first place, higher body weights that would do better with a firmer mattress or a higher density base layer, or in a very small percentage of cases actual defects in the foam that was supplied by the foam manufacturer (which will usually show up early in the life of the mattress). There is more about all the factors that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people and body types in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Overall ā€¦ for those where durability is an issue ā€¦ latex is the most durable of all the foam materials used in comfort layers regardless of the name of the mattress or the manufacturer that uses it in their mattress.

Phoenix

I am mostly a stomach sleeper and am wondering if this is a good mattress for me.

Hi bradlyd,

Iā€™m not sure which mattress you are referring to or which firmness level you are asking about (they have many options) and I also donā€™t know anything about your body type or weight distribution or any mattresses you have tested that worked well for you that I can use as a reference point so there are too many unknowns and variables involved and your question is much too broad to give you a specific answer.

Having said that ā€¦ when you canā€™t test a mattress in person then the best approach would be a more detailed conversation with Dreamfoam so they can ā€œtalk you throughā€ their various options and help you choose which of them would have the best chance of working well for you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). They know more about their mattresses and have more experience with ā€œmatchingā€ their customers and different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences to their different firmness choices than anyone else.

Phoenix

Doing some more research on the Ultimate Dreams Latex mattress, but there are very few comments about transfer of motion. My sleep is usually interrupted when my partner changes position or gets out of bed so I wanted to know how this mattress performs in that aspect. Iā€™d appreciate if any owners can chime in on their experience. Please also list your mattress size, firmness, and estimated body weights so I can get a general idea.

Thanks very much for the information!

Iā€™ve chatted with their online customer service and they were very helpful. Iā€™m new to the forum but have been lurking for some time now. I also am leaning towards the ultimate dreams, even before the advise from chatting with customer service.

I was wondering if any might have purchased this mattress and used a DreamFoam Bedding 3-Inch Ultimate Dreams Gel Memory Foam Topper in conjunction. Would you see any real benefit or added comfort to using them together, enough to justify the additional costs?

Hi BacknSideSleeper,

[quote]Doing some more research on the Ultimate Dreams Latex mattress, but there are very few comments about transfer of motion. My sleep is usually interrupted when my partner changes position or gets out of bed so I wanted to know how this mattress performs in that aspect. Iā€™d appreciate if any owners can chime in on their experience. Please also list your mattress size, firmness, and estimated body weights so I can get a general idea.

Thanks very much for the information! [/quote]

While I donā€™t have any personal experience with sleeping on this mattress specifically ā€¦ latex in general is ā€œgoodā€ with motion transfer and better than most other materials such as polyfoam and even pocket coils although itā€™s not as motion isolating as memory foam. You will generally feel ā€œlittleā€ motion from your partner (depending on the strength of the movement) but it will be less than most other materials.

There is more about how latex compares to memory foam in post #2 here.

@santo10979,

This would be a preference choice based on the type of material you tend to prefer sleeping on. The risk of adding a topper to a mattress that was already a suitable match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is that adding thicker and softer materials on top of a mattress that is working well may end up being too soft for you and increase the risk of alignment issues and lower back pain.

At the very least I would sleep on a mattress first to see whether itā€™s suitable for you and so you can assess its firmness and if you need some additional softness or pressure relief because the mattress is too firm then I would use the information in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to a a guideline to help you choose a topper that will add any additional pressure relief you need with the least possible risk to alignment.

Phoenix