Review of the Ultimate Dreams mattress

Just placed an order on eurotop latex mattress from dream foam and canā€™t wait to give it a try!

Hi jofoliage,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know you made a high quality/value choice and I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you receive it.

Phoenix

I have skinned thru this thread and am wondering if there are any reports of dips, body impression, sagging or concaving 2 or more years out.

Hi MrM1,

Yes, you will find some percentage of feedback about soft spots or sagging (virtual or visible impressions) with every mattress ā€¦ especially in this budget range. In the case of the Ultimate Dreams latex (which I assume is the mattress you mean) the percentage will be very low compared to mattresses you will usually find in this budget range because talalay latex is such a durable material (and not normally found in mattresses in this price range) and holds up better in a comfort layer than any other foam material. Most of these reports will either be because of an initial choice that was too soft in the first place, higher body weights that would do better with a firmer mattress or a higher density base layer, or in a very small percentage of cases actual defects in the foam that was supplied by the foam manufacturer (which will usually show up early in the life of the mattress). There is more about all the factors that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people and body types in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Overall ā€¦ for those where durability is an issue ā€¦ latex is the most durable of all the foam materials used in comfort layers regardless of the name of the mattress or the manufacturer that uses it in their mattress.

Phoenix

I am mostly a stomach sleeper and am wondering if this is a good mattress for me.

Hi bradlyd,

Iā€™m not sure which mattress you are referring to or which firmness level you are asking about (they have many options) and I also donā€™t know anything about your body type or weight distribution or any mattresses you have tested that worked well for you that I can use as a reference point so there are too many unknowns and variables involved and your question is much too broad to give you a specific answer.

Having said that ā€¦ when you canā€™t test a mattress in person then the best approach would be a more detailed conversation with Dreamfoam so they can ā€œtalk you throughā€ their various options and help you choose which of them would have the best chance of working well for you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). They know more about their mattresses and have more experience with ā€œmatchingā€ their customers and different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences to their different firmness choices than anyone else.

Phoenix

Doing some more research on the Ultimate Dreams Latex mattress, but there are very few comments about transfer of motion. My sleep is usually interrupted when my partner changes position or gets out of bed so I wanted to know how this mattress performs in that aspect. Iā€™d appreciate if any owners can chime in on their experience. Please also list your mattress size, firmness, and estimated body weights so I can get a general idea.

Thanks very much for the information!

Iā€™ve chatted with their online customer service and they were very helpful. Iā€™m new to the forum but have been lurking for some time now. I also am leaning towards the ultimate dreams, even before the advise from chatting with customer service.

I was wondering if any might have purchased this mattress and used a DreamFoam Bedding 3-Inch Ultimate Dreams Gel Memory Foam Topper in conjunction. Would you see any real benefit or added comfort to using them together, enough to justify the additional costs?

Hi BacknSideSleeper,

[quote]Doing some more research on the Ultimate Dreams Latex mattress, but there are very few comments about transfer of motion. My sleep is usually interrupted when my partner changes position or gets out of bed so I wanted to know how this mattress performs in that aspect. Iā€™d appreciate if any owners can chime in on their experience. Please also list your mattress size, firmness, and estimated body weights so I can get a general idea.

Thanks very much for the information! [/quote]

While I donā€™t have any personal experience with sleeping on this mattress specifically ā€¦ latex in general is ā€œgoodā€ with motion transfer and better than most other materials such as polyfoam and even pocket coils although itā€™s not as motion isolating as memory foam. You will generally feel ā€œlittleā€ motion from your partner (depending on the strength of the movement) but it will be less than most other materials.

There is more about how latex compares to memory foam in post #2 here.

@santo10979,

This would be a preference choice based on the type of material you tend to prefer sleeping on. The risk of adding a topper to a mattress that was already a suitable match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is that adding thicker and softer materials on top of a mattress that is working well may end up being too soft for you and increase the risk of alignment issues and lower back pain.

At the very least I would sleep on a mattress first to see whether itā€™s suitable for you and so you can assess its firmness and if you need some additional softness or pressure relief because the mattress is too firm then I would use the information in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to a a guideline to help you choose a topper that will add any additional pressure relief you need with the least possible risk to alignment.

Phoenix

Thanks much, you make a good point here. I think Iā€™ll invest in the Mattress alone and see how that pans out. After some time, I could always add to it with a topper.

Thanks again!!

So I bought the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop with the three inch Talalay, 7 softness level. After trying it for a while, I donā€™t appear to be that much of a fan of latex. It doesnā€™t isolate motion as well as memory foam but thatā€™s no secret. What realy puts me off is that it has a kind of rubbery feel, like Iā€™m sleeping on a balloon, that I donā€™t care for and itā€™s a bit bouncy. I donā€™t feel a significant enough trade off in comfort to make up for it. The good thing is I can put anything I want inside the quilted zippered top, and the quilted top is pretty nice. So, I took out the latex and put in the old memory foam topper I had on my previous mattress and I prefer that feel to the latex. Now I have a $300 latex top sitting around. Iā€™m sure I could call Chuck and pay to switch that top out for one of their 3 inch memory foam toppers or something.

Other thing I didnā€™t like is the mattress has no edge support whatsoever. Iā€™m sure that is quite normal in any type of mattress that isnā€™t a traditional spring mattress which I came from, it just takes some getting used to.

Hi RedEye,

Itā€™s unfortunate that you arenā€™t one of the people that likes latex ā€¦ but of course each person can have very different preferences which is why the world is such an interesting place :slight_smile:

I think that would be a good idea and having the option to make the exchange is one of the advantages of the Eurotop.

Most foam mattresses donā€™t have edge support but this would also be more noticeable with higher weights or softer comfort choices.

Phoenix

I am thinking about ordering one of the Ultimate Dreams Mattresses. I assume that If I call, they will guide me through the best one for me. Also, I will need to get a new support for the mattress. I can make slats for my current bedframe. How far apart should the slats be?

Hi TF12,

Yes ā€¦ the more information you can provide them about you (body type, sleeping positions, preferences etc.) and mattresses you have tested or slept on in the past that you have done well with the more you will help them to help you make the best possible choice (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

It would depend on your body type, the slat dimensions, and on the type of wood (see here) and on the overall construction of your bedframe because the goal is to end up with a support system that has minimal or no flex under your weight but in general with a polyfoam core I would suggest 5" as a maximum with standard 1x3 slats (which are actually 3/4" x 2 1/2") but 3" or less would be much better and more supportive yet.

Phoenix

Hey, I have returned to post a three month update on my DreamFoam Mattress (my last post was #127 on page 9, just in case people want to find my prior posts with my decision-making process).

My wife and I LOVE the mattress! It has turned out amazingly well. I never wake up with any problems. I like the firmness we got (7); it isnā€™t as plushy as I imagine some people might like, but it works very well for us. My wife likes to lay / partially sit up on the bed and work on her laptop, so the mattress has pretty much a perfect amount of softness to make it comfortable without her ā€œfalling inā€ to the bed too much. Iā€™m a side sleeper, and this is simply the best mattress I have slept on. The pillow that came for free with it too (maybe as a bonus for mentioning TMU; I donā€™t recall exactly) is also great ā€“ it has become my new pillow.

Thanks again, Phoenix, for your help picking out a great mattress. This site is simply a wonderful resource.

Hi EJ43,

Thanks for taking the time to share your 3 month update and feedback ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Itā€™s great to see that things are working out so well for you!

Phoenix

Actually thinking about picking up one of these but to be honest, it is slightly confusing.

You have the dreambedding website itself where you can order. You have amazon where you can order. You have the latex or foam beds you can ā€œask chuckā€ to customize.( which i donā€™t understand how you do that through amazon ) Then you have the 12-1 all foam that you can customize.

For instance.

1. https://www.amazon.com/DreamFoam-Bedding-Customizable-Mattress-Queen/dp/B00JGBXWVI/ref=sr_1_21?m=APCUWEOU23BHI&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1412091872&sr=1-21&keywords=foam

The queen is listed at 399.00. If you click a different size, price changes ( as expected ) but if you click back to queen, the price is $407.76 when it was just $399.99. Not sure if this is a amazon thing or what?

Hi Del,

All of the Dreamfoam mattresses are available from either the Amazon site or the Dreamfoam site but the main difference between ordering from Amazon site (if the order is fulfilled by Dreamfoam) and the Dreamfoam site itself is that you would have a 45 day comfort guarantee if you order from the Dreamfoam site and there are no returns if you order from the Amazon site (if the order is fulfilled by Dreamfoam). There is also a 10% discount currently available for orders that are from the Dreamfoam site (see their facebook page here).

[quote]For instance.

1. https://www.amazon.com/DreamFoam-Bedding-Customi...r=1-21&keywords=foam

The queen is listed at 399.00. If you click a different size, price changes ( as expected ) but if you click back to queen, the price is $407.76 when it was just $399.99. Not sure if this is a amazon thing or what? [/quote]

This isnā€™t happening for me when I click between different sizes but some of the Dreamfoam mattresses are also sold and fulfilled by Amazon itself (not Dreamfoam) and you may somehow be ā€œswitchingā€ between the same mattress fulfilled by Amazon rather than fulfilled by Dreamfoam. For example the Amazon fulfilled version of the 12 in 1 customizable is the version that is $407.76. The difference is that if your mattress purchase is fulfilled by Amazon then you wouldnā€™t be eligible for the pillow bonus and the price is usually slightly higher but you would be eligible for the Amazon 30 day large item return policy (see post #11 here).

If you choose the ā€œask Chuckā€ option for those mattresses that have this as an option they will either contact you or you can call them to discuss and choose the firmness option you would prefer.

Phoenix

Thank you for the help. Hopefully will be doing a review here within the next few months.
So it pretty much is just easier & better to order directly from dreamfoarmbedding.com then?