Review of the Ultimate Dreams mattress

So I bought the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop with the three inch Talalay, 7 softness level. After trying it for a while, I donā€™t appear to be that much of a fan of latex. It doesnā€™t isolate motion as well as memory foam but thatā€™s no secret. What realy puts me off is that it has a kind of rubbery feel, like Iā€™m sleeping on a balloon, that I donā€™t care for and itā€™s a bit bouncy. I donā€™t feel a significant enough trade off in comfort to make up for it. The good thing is I can put anything I want inside the quilted zippered top, and the quilted top is pretty nice. So, I took out the latex and put in the old memory foam topper I had on my previous mattress and I prefer that feel to the latex. Now I have a $300 latex top sitting around. Iā€™m sure I could call Chuck and pay to switch that top out for one of their 3 inch memory foam toppers or something.

Other thing I didnā€™t like is the mattress has no edge support whatsoever. Iā€™m sure that is quite normal in any type of mattress that isnā€™t a traditional spring mattress which I came from, it just takes some getting used to.

Hi RedEye,

Itā€™s unfortunate that you arenā€™t one of the people that likes latex ā€¦ but of course each person can have very different preferences which is why the world is such an interesting place :slight_smile:

I think that would be a good idea and having the option to make the exchange is one of the advantages of the Eurotop.

Most foam mattresses donā€™t have edge support but this would also be more noticeable with higher weights or softer comfort choices.

Phoenix

I am thinking about ordering one of the Ultimate Dreams Mattresses. I assume that If I call, they will guide me through the best one for me. Also, I will need to get a new support for the mattress. I can make slats for my current bedframe. How far apart should the slats be?

Hi TF12,

Yes ā€¦ the more information you can provide them about you (body type, sleeping positions, preferences etc.) and mattresses you have tested or slept on in the past that you have done well with the more you will help them to help you make the best possible choice (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

It would depend on your body type, the slat dimensions, and on the type of wood (see here) and on the overall construction of your bedframe because the goal is to end up with a support system that has minimal or no flex under your weight but in general with a polyfoam core I would suggest 5" as a maximum with standard 1x3 slats (which are actually 3/4" x 2 1/2") but 3" or less would be much better and more supportive yet.

Phoenix

Hey, I have returned to post a three month update on my DreamFoam Mattress (my last post was #127 on page 9, just in case people want to find my prior posts with my decision-making process).

My wife and I LOVE the mattress! It has turned out amazingly well. I never wake up with any problems. I like the firmness we got (7); it isnā€™t as plushy as I imagine some people might like, but it works very well for us. My wife likes to lay / partially sit up on the bed and work on her laptop, so the mattress has pretty much a perfect amount of softness to make it comfortable without her ā€œfalling inā€ to the bed too much. Iā€™m a side sleeper, and this is simply the best mattress I have slept on. The pillow that came for free with it too (maybe as a bonus for mentioning TMU; I donā€™t recall exactly) is also great ā€“ it has become my new pillow.

Thanks again, Phoenix, for your help picking out a great mattress. This site is simply a wonderful resource.

Hi EJ43,

Thanks for taking the time to share your 3 month update and feedback ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Itā€™s great to see that things are working out so well for you!

Phoenix

Actually thinking about picking up one of these but to be honest, it is slightly confusing.

You have the dreambedding website itself where you can order. You have amazon where you can order. You have the latex or foam beds you can ā€œask chuckā€ to customize.( which i donā€™t understand how you do that through amazon ) Then you have the 12-1 all foam that you can customize.

For instance.

1. https://www.amazon.com/DreamFoam-Bedding-Customizable-Mattress-Queen/dp/B00JGBXWVI/ref=sr_1_21?m=APCUWEOU23BHI&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1412091872&sr=1-21&keywords=foam

The queen is listed at 399.00. If you click a different size, price changes ( as expected ) but if you click back to queen, the price is $407.76 when it was just $399.99. Not sure if this is a amazon thing or what?

Hi Del,

All of the Dreamfoam mattresses are available from either the Amazon site or the Dreamfoam site but the main difference between ordering from Amazon site (if the order is fulfilled by Dreamfoam) and the Dreamfoam site itself is that you would have a 45 day comfort guarantee if you order from the Dreamfoam site and there are no returns if you order from the Amazon site (if the order is fulfilled by Dreamfoam). There is also a 10% discount currently available for orders that are from the Dreamfoam site (see their facebook page here).

[quote]For instance.

1. https://www.amazon.com/DreamFoam-Bedding-Customi...r=1-21&keywords=foam

The queen is listed at 399.00. If you click a different size, price changes ( as expected ) but if you click back to queen, the price is $407.76 when it was just $399.99. Not sure if this is a amazon thing or what? [/quote]

This isnā€™t happening for me when I click between different sizes but some of the Dreamfoam mattresses are also sold and fulfilled by Amazon itself (not Dreamfoam) and you may somehow be ā€œswitchingā€ between the same mattress fulfilled by Amazon rather than fulfilled by Dreamfoam. For example the Amazon fulfilled version of the 12 in 1 customizable is the version that is $407.76. The difference is that if your mattress purchase is fulfilled by Amazon then you wouldnā€™t be eligible for the pillow bonus and the price is usually slightly higher but you would be eligible for the Amazon 30 day large item return policy (see post #11 here).

If you choose the ā€œask Chuckā€ option for those mattresses that have this as an option they will either contact you or you can call them to discuss and choose the firmness option you would prefer.

Phoenix

Thank you for the help. Hopefully will be doing a review here within the next few months.
So it pretty much is just easier & better to order directly from dreamfoarmbedding.com then?

Hi Del,

Not to mention the lower price at the moment yes ā€¦ and thatā€™s certainly what I would do :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out which mattress you end up deciding on ā€¦ and of course your comments and feedback once youā€™ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Weā€™ve only had the mattress for about a month and a half now, but we love it. We bought a Ultimate Dreams Latex mattress from amazon in a firmness level 5. We had a plush spring mattress before, but wanted something sturdier. Initially, the mattress was quite firm and I was waking up with a sore back and had trouble sleeping, but after the break in period, it is perfect. Even at firmness level 5, there is some cushion/plush feel of the top, but it provides so much support! Thanks for all the help Phoenix. Iā€™ll try and update again in a few months to see how itā€™s holding up.

Do you know of a thread on here that could help us look for quality pillows to go with our mattress? The ones we have are pretty old and worn out.

Hi reijam,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback ā€¦ I appreciate it!

Itā€™s great to see that the choice you made is working out so well for you.

The pillow thread here and the other topics and sources of information about pillows should be helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi. First off I want to thank you for this very informative site. I spent three hours luring here last Sunday before buying the mattress that is the topic of this thread. Iā€™m kind of a tinkerer, so the idea of being able to modify my mattress was irresistible :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve got a question about the comment you made about this mattress (quoted above). Do you have any insight on how one might actually go about replacing a single layer of a mattress?

Hi mark_in_sf,

Congratulations on your new mattress first of all :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice.

The mattress has three different 3" 2 lb polyfoam layers in different firmness levels that can be rearranged and configured in 6 different ways (although some configurations like soft on the bottom, medium in the middle, and firm on top would be much less common). In addition to this each of the combinations can be used with either the softer side of the zippered cover or the firmer side of the cover on top (each side has a different quilting pattern which makes it firmer or softer) so that gives you a total of 12 different configurations. They donā€™t offer a layer exchange because there are already many possible configurations and to keep the costs down (layer exchange options add to the cost of a mattress).

If you ever did want to replace a layer then you would just need to buy a 3" layer using the the type of material (polyfoam, memory foam, or latex) and firmness level that you prefer, zip open the cover, and remove and replace the old layer with the new one and zip the cover back up. If you ever decide to go in this direction then some of the better online sources Iā€™m aware of for component layers are listed in the component post here.

Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you receive it.

Phoenix

Hi I have been following the forum on the Ultimate dream mattress and it appears as though the latex is receiving the accolades as being a very good value with little heat buildup however based on my research on this site as well as another one itā€™s my understanding that latex mattress are ususally pretty firm and thus not the best suited for a side sleeper like me Also looking at the metal frame / support reviews that is offered on Amazon for the Ultimate Dreams king beds I am not very impressed with the frame due to noise concerns from existing customers What is your opinions regarding placing 1/2" or 5/8" plywood on top of my existing box springs and then placing the mattress directly onto the plywood ? thanks bob gum

Hi gumball,

Latex layers and mattresses come in a very wide range of firmness levels from ultra plush to ultra firm and everything in between and there are many side sleepers (including me) who prefer a latex mattress over any other type of mattress or material. Itā€™s certainly not accurate that latex is ā€œtoo firmā€ for side sleepers (most ā€œbroad brushā€ comments like this arenā€™t usually accurate) but the most reliable way to know which types of materials or mattresses you prefer or whether a specific mattress (latex or otherwise) is a good ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of PPP is based on your own personal testing or experience.

You can see my comments about the wire grid platform foundations in post #10 here.

You can see my comments about some of the additional risks of a solid surface support system in post #10 here. Plywood can also warp or sag over time if itā€™s used on a sagging or flexible surface (see post #11 here) especially if it doesnā€™t have good center support so I would keep an eye on it if you do decide to go in this direction.

Phoenix

thanks Phoenix for all the good details ā€“ still canā€™t decide whether to go with the dreamfoam latex or the 13" memory gel I am a side /stomach sleeper 70 years old 200 lbs and usually sleep alone except for my 15 lb furkid. any advice thanks gumball

Hi gumball,

The choice between different types of materials or mattresses is a preference choice rather than a ā€œbetter/worseā€ choice so you are really the only one that can decide which one you would like more. There is more about the differences between latex and memory foam in post #2 here but the best way to know which one you would tend to prefer would be based on some local testing on a range of different latex and memory foam mattresses in different firmness levels.

Phoenix

Has anyone in Canada ordered directly from the Dreamfoam site? It seems like you can checkout with a Canadian address but curious if it would actually go through and what customs/delivery would be like?

Thanks,

-Aaron

Hi goalie35,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Dreamfoam does ship to Canada for a $100 flat fee that covers shipping and customs. They also have some items on the Canadian amazon.ca site.

Phoenix