Review of the Ultimate Dreams mattress

Hi cub682,

[quote]I ordered my Ultimate Dreams mattress on 3/2/13, I received it on 3/8/13. The tag on the mattress states it was made on 2/15/13.
The tag also states itā€™s made of 66% urethane foam and 34% talalay latex.
There is no mention on tag or shipping materials of the comfort level I ordered.[/quote]

The tag on a mattress or what is called the ā€œlaw tagā€ only indicates the materials in the mattress by weight. It doesnā€™t contain any thickness or ā€œcomfortā€ information.

[quote]I thought each mattress was custom made after order and choice of comfort level. Maybe I received a returned mattress.
I am worried about the quality and longevity of materials and if I even received the correct comfort level I ordered.[/quote]

They donā€™t sell returned mattresses (and they donā€™t normally even offer returns anyway on their Amazon mattresses) and because there would be several layering combinations that were more common, most manufacturers would make these ahead of time or there would be significant delays in making and shipping any particular mattress.

It is blended talalay latex made by Latex International. In other words it is 100% Talalay (this is the type of manufacturing process used to make the latex and all latex would be either Talalay or Dunlop) and it uses Latex Internationalā€™s blended Talalay (you can read more about the different types of latex in this article and in post #6 here).

Yes.

Iā€™m not sure what you are reading but they are among the most open and transparent on the internet and provide every detail of the layering of their mattress on their Amazon site. I donā€™t know how you could possibly call it either vague or misleading when it is very specific and clear about every material in the mattress (and they will also answer any question you may have as well). I agree though that if you had questions that it would have been a good idea to ask them before ordering.

they certainly are very quick and their speed of service has always been good as well. How long did it take for you to receive replies to your emails?

Yes ā€¦ the price is excellent and the mattress will certainly last that long before the materials break down but of course only you can know from your own personal experience if it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of pressure relief and alignment (how suitable it is for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences) although they have a very good record of helping people to decide on the layering that has the best odds of success. the suitability of a mattress though has little to nothing to do with the quality of the materials or how long they will last

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I appreciate all youā€™ve put into this website ā€“ amazing stuff!

I tried their number a few times yesterday but only got voicemail. Iā€™ll try again today. Oddly enough, they still havenā€™t responded to my email from Saturday morningā€¦

One other question, is it possible to use the UD13 on a twin metal frame without a boxspring? Was wondering if I could build slats potentially? Or where can I order an inexpensive but suitable box spring on-line?

Thanks again!

[quote=ā€œPhoenixā€ post=15216]Hi Cataldo,

You can call them at the number on the Brooklyn Bedding site here.

The email you received for your sonā€™s order should be the one to contact them. You can also email them at the Amazon email link on their sellers information page here.

The TMU bonus for their Amazon mattresses is a shredded pillow and on the mattresses that are sold on the Brooklyn Bedding site is a 5% discount. Itā€™s available to anyone who is a registered forum member (one post on the forum) at the time of their order.

Hope this helps

Phoenix[/quote]

Just ordered the ultimate dream 13" gel mattress. Thank you for this forum to help me read honest and insightful feedback, and help me navigate through the weeds that is buying a new mattress.

Hi rkraider,

Thanks for your kind words.

I think you made a great choice and I hope you have the chance to provide some feedback when youā€™ve received it.

Most importantly ā€¦ congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Never mind Phoenix. I think I answered my own question. It looks like IKEA has something that will work.

Hi Cataldo,

Sorry for missing your question. Sometimes it happens when there are multiple posters posting in the same thread.

If you mean a frame like this then I certainly wouldnā€™t put a mattress on it directly. Itā€™s meant to support a box spring or a foundation ā€¦ not a mattress which would sink right through it. I also wouldnā€™t use a box spring at all (box springs are the ones that have some type of springs inside that flex). With an all foam mattress, a rigid non flexing foundation or platform which has a rigid, evenly supportive, and non flexing surface is usually the best choice.

The foundation thread here has more information and links to many options that would be suitable for different types of mattresses in many budget ranges. Brooklyn Bedding also sells a foundation/frame that would work well for their mattress.

Phoenix

This thread has been great and a wealth of information, definitely want to thank anyone that has contributed to it. I believe Iā€™m finally ready to make my order.

One quick question ā€“ Phoenix, you were talking about foundations and I was wondering, if I were to purchase the mattress, would it be safe to put it straight into a bedframe that utilizes wooden slats?

For example, something like this: ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: cb2.com/plush-natural-bed/f7666.

Hi idonotmatch,

I canā€™t see the surface that the mattress would be sitting on from the picture you linked but If the slats are designed to hold a mattress not just a foundation (which is probably the case) and there are enough of them to provide the even support that satisfies the warranty requirements (just check with Dreamfoam) then there would be no problem.

Phoenix

I too just ordered the Ultimate Dream based on this forum. Thanks for all the information. Canā€™t wait to get a good night sleep

Hi Pats,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to let us know your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

We are ordering a Ultimate dreams 13 for our son, if my wife and I like it ,we are getting a queen for us.

Hi krew,

If you like a mattress just a little firmer than the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe then this would certainly be a good choice and of course itā€™s great value.

Phoenix

about to place an order with Brooklyn Bedding. Great company.

Hi matthall2121,

To receive the forum discount on Brooklyn Bedding mattresses (not their Dreamfoam Amazon line) make sure you either call, email, or use their chat to get the discount information before your purchase.

Phoenix

Hello:

Thank you for all of the info on this site. Itā€™s truly an amazing resource (and a time-consuming one for someone as indecisive as meā€¦ ha.) I am considering buying an Ultimate Dreams mattress. I am located in South Florida and have visited several local manufacturers so far, but havenā€™t found exactly what Iā€™m looking for, which is why Iā€™m considering purchasing online. I have determined that I want a mattress with a latex component. One of the local manufacturers had me try a 3" 28 ILD latex layer on top of a 3" G30 HD Polyfoam layer and a 4" G50 HD Polyfoam layer (Iā€™m not sure what G30 and G50 mean other than the fact that G50 is firmer than G30). I liked the feel of that but it was a bit too firm. They didnā€™t have any softer Latex for me to try, and instead they put a 2" memory foam layer on top of that for me to try. I liked the extra softness, but it just felt like overkill. The next manufacturer I visited only had 40 ILD latex, which was way too firm. Finally, the third manufacturer recommended that I go with a 6" 28 ILD latex matress. I liked the feel of that but Iā€™m concerned about it being too thin. Iā€™m 5ā€™10", 160 lbs and usually sleep on my side. The woman who helped me said the 6" latex would provide plenty of support. She said she could add a 4" foam core below the 6" of latex, but the only purpose that would serve would be to add height to the mattress. She didnā€™t have any other latex for me to try unfortunately.

As I continued to research on this web site, I learned of Brooklyn Bedding, and like some of the other posters, I like the fact that there are so many positive reviews and information about these mattresses. Factoring in the 5% member discount, the 10" Total Latex mattress (king) ends up costing about $250 more than what I can get the 6" latex for locally, and the free pillows make it an even better value. Iā€™m also considering their latex hybrids, which seem to be a much better value than the hybrid I tried locally (the first manufacturer I visited wanted $1500 for the hybrid with the 3" latex topper).

Sorry for the long-winded post, but here are my questions:

(1.) Will a 6" 28 ILD talalay latex mattress really provide enough support on itā€™s own?
(2.) Given that I liked the feel of the 6" 28 ILD latex mattress but havenā€™t found anywhere local to try a duel layer latex mattress, what firmness in the Brooklyn Bedding 10" Total Latex would you recommend (I will ask Chuck this question as well)?
(3.) If I chose to go with a Brooklyn Bedding hybrid (say the Bamboo Bliss), what firmness would you recommend given that I found the 3" latex hybrid with 28 ILD a bit firm? 7?
(4.) Do you by any chance know of a manufacturer/seller in South Florida who has a selection of latex mattresses to try?

Thank you so much for your help and for all that you do!

Hi ds_express,

This probably means that the G30 was 30 IFD and the G50 was 50 IFD (IFD means Indentation Force Deflection which is a measurement of foam softness and firmness similar to ILD or Indentation Load Deflection which is more commonly used with latex). It is determined by how much force is required using a 50 sq in round deflector foot to compress a 20" by 20" 4" thick foam layer by 25% of its thickness or 1". IFD can also be measured at other percentage thicknesses. 5o IFD would be significantly firmer than 30 IFD.

There is no way to answer this on an individual basis outside of your own personal testing. Although it is a commonly used word ā€¦ support in a mattress is really not that meaningful a term because it is so vague and has multiple meanings. One of the two main functions of a mattress is to keep your spine and joints in neutral alignment in all your sleeping positions. If a mattress keeps you in good alignment in all your sleeping positions and ā€œstopsā€ the heavier parts of your body from sinking in too far relative to the others and ā€œallowsā€ the lighter parts of your body to sink in enough relative to the other parts of your body then it would have adequate support regardless of its firmness level. If it ā€œstopsā€ the lighter parts from sinking in far enough or ā€œallowsā€ the heavier parts to sink in too far ā€¦ then you would not have good alignment and the ā€œsupportā€ under the part of your body that was sinking in too far or not enough would either be too much or not enough for you. Neutral alignment is the goal and the level of support under each part of the body is only the means used to get there.

ā€œPrimary supportā€ generally comes from the deeper parts of the mattress and is primarily responsible for ā€œstoppingā€ the heavier parts of the body (the pelvis). Secondary support generally comes from the upper parts of the mattress and is the part that ā€œfills in the gapsā€ in the sleeping profile and helps to maintain the natural inward curves of the spine. The upper layers also need to allow the ā€œbony prominencesā€ of the body such as the hips and shoulders to sink in enough to redistribute and relieve pressure. in other words ā€¦ a mattress is always a combination of surface softness which ā€œallowsā€ parts of you to sink in enough for good pressure relief and good alignment and deeper firmness which ā€œstopsā€ the heavier parts from sinking in too far.

Every type of foam gets firmer as it compresses more at different rates so for many people a 6" layer ā€¦ depending on what was under it and on the type of quilting and ticking used for the mattress ā€¦ could provide good pressure relief and alignment. In other words it could be both soft enough with its initial compression to relieve pressure and firm enough as it compresses further to keep a specific person in good alignment. Other people may need a firmer support layer with a softer comfort layer to provide the combination of pressure relief and alignment that was best for them. They may need a softer upper layer that ā€œallowedā€ more and a firmer deeper layer that ā€œstoppedā€ sooner.

Again ā€¦ the only way to know for certain is with your own personal testing on the specific combination of foam and other components (foundation, innerspring, quilting, ticking) that you are considering. If the 6" layer provides you with good PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) ā€¦ then it would be supportive enough for you. For other people, a 6" design ā€¦ particularly on a firm non flexing foundation ā€¦ may not provide enough thickness to provide the combination of pressure relief and support they need in a single layer. Higher weights tend to do better with thicker mattresses which compress more gradually and are more adaptive and thinner mattresses tend to be fine for those that are lighter but there are no rules here. You can read more about some of the potential benefits of a thicker mattress in post #14 here.

There is no ā€œtheoryā€ that can predict or ā€œtranslateā€ one design (apples) into another (oranges) except by educated intuition or guesswork and based on averages for your body type and sleeping style. This is the reason for a longer conversation between you and a manufacturer you are considering who is in the best position to provide this kind of guidance. They know the details of their own mattresses and how all the different layers and components interact with each other and different types of people better than anyone else. These types of comparisons are only really relevant with mattresses that have a very similar design and other than that would require some guesswork based on their experience with their own mattresses.

I donā€™t recommend firmness or comfort levels. I only speak to the quality and value of mattresses and I leave the comfort choices to your own personal testing and more detailed discussions between you and the manufacturers or retailers. My goal and the goal of the site is to help you eliminate all the worst choices and then help with ā€œhowā€ to choose ā€¦ never ā€œwhatā€ to choose. The people who actually sell mattresses are always the ones that can provide the most meaningful guidance or comfort choices.

The better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the South Florida area (Miami, Ft Lauderdale, West palm Bech) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

So after spending too many hours this week on researching for a new mattress (Thanks to Phoenix and Co here and sleeplikethedead), I think I might pull the trigger on the Ultimate Dreams mattress. I dont sleep the greatest and think its time to get ā€œa real mattressā€ since Ive moved and dont currently have one. Too many times in the past I just said whatever and found a cheap, like new one on craigs list or something. Im ready to take my sleep to the next level! I think its time; I do sleep a bit hot so decided to all out and get a latex as I hear they are a tad cooler than memory foam. On one of my old craigslist mattress I had a a temporpedic foam topper that I basically slept ā€œinā€ and not on. It was too warm during the summer months for meā€¦

The ultimate dreams seems like a good value, and something that will hopefully last me many years, as a good investment. Im on a budget and want to keep things close to $500 as I can (for a full; Im singleā€¦ Thats right ladiesā€¦ ha :cheer: ). Ive considered other mattresses on amazon (gosh buying a mattress online is scary) and costco because of their return policy.

Im quite the novice and by no means a sleep expert who knows all about IDV or IDL or that special sleep acronym but I will hope to return to review things if I do pull the triggerā€¦ Right now its a blow up mattress for me! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi austriker,

Iā€™m looking forward to hearing about what you decide once youā€™ve ā€œpulled the triggerā€. You are certainly looking at a good quality/value option.

Phoenix

Hello all,
Iā€™ve been researching mattresses for a few days now and Iā€™ve decided on the Ultimate Dreams mattress. Iā€™d just like to say thanks to everyone in this thread(and forum!) for their reviews and input.

Really close to getting one of these. I am tired of being tired and having lower back pain. I need to go and try out the Cloud luxe to get an idea on the firmness. My wife is skeptical about the foam type mattress versus her parents Sleep Number bed. I prefer the foam as I wanted to buy Tempur Pedic before our current mattress but she was concerned about it feeling hot. It is time and I canā€™t wait to be sleeping through the night again. Have to get one.
I will be calling Chuck tomorrow. This is a great site. Thank you.