Review of the Ultimate Dreams mattress

So I am getting ready to buy a new mattress and I have stumbled upon the Ultimate Dreams line. After reading all of the reviews it seems that something can still be great AND be made in the U.S.A LOL! Anyways, I am stuck with a few questions.

1. If I go for the Ultimate Dreams Latex which firmness would be best for me. I really liked the scandanavian sleep system bed I tried out at the store the other day (I think it was the spa comfort) but not the price or sales person LOL.

2. How does the Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress hold up?

I guess iā€™m asking which one would be better for me?

Iā€™m 5ā€™11 215 pounds. Side sleeper with major body pains lol.

Thanks

Aaron

Hi asjdwf,

This is one of the most common questions on the forum and there is some fairly extensive general information in the mattresses section of the site that can give you some general guidelines and insights but this is not specific to any particular person and may be more complex than you really need to know.

There are far too many variables and unknowns (body types, sleeping styles, preferences, physiology, age, health conditions, sensitivities, special circumstances etc) to use any formula or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ or any other personā€™s experience to choose a suitable mattress that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing on similar mattresses with similar designs and materials that you can use as a pointer or approximation. If this is not possible ā€¦ then the next best way is more detailed discussions with an online manufacturer or retailer themselves. They are much more familiar with their own mattress designs than anyone else (including me) and can give you ideas based on the ā€œaveragesā€ of other customers that may be similar to you in their body type, sleeping style, or personal preferences and circumstances which can be a very useful guideline as long as you are inside the ā€œaveragesā€. Of course the options available with each design and your ability to exchange layers or the mattress itself or use other forms of fine tuning may also be an important part of your personal value equation.

So Iā€™m always happy to help the members here with ā€œhowā€ to choose or to connect with better manufacturers or retailers but ā€œwhatā€ to choose in terms of either a mattress or the balance between comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment is always up to the only person who can feel what you feel on a mattress and best left to personal testing and your own experiences or more detailed discussions with the more knowledgeable people at the retailers or manufacturers that sell the mattresses.

Like many other mattress questions ā€¦ this is also not as simple a question as it may seem because like most mattress questions the answer includes ā€œit dependsā€ in the answer. You can see the different factors that are part of durability in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

As you will read ā€¦ the upper layers of a mattress are usually its weak link in terms of durability and in these layers it uses medium and high quality memory foam or gel memory foam that are roughly equivalent to the Tempurpedic Cloud series that use 4 and 5 lb memory foam as well. The base layer is 1.5 lb polyfoam which is a lower to medium quality/density but this is not usually the weak link of a mattress. Overall ā€¦ it uses higher quality materials than most mattresses in this price range in the layers that are most important for durability and ā€œfeelā€ and has much better quality and value.

They have also said that it is very similar to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe except a little firmer and because softness is also a durability issue and because you are a little higher weight this may also have an effect. It would also be a very good idea to test the Cloud Luxe locally to make sure that it was suitable for you in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) because it is a softer memory foam mattress which can sometimes present some risk for alignment for higher weights and you are on the borderline where I would be a little cautious and make sure your testing indicated that it was suitable for your needs and preferences.

Phoenix

My wife and I have been sleeping on a Stearns & Foster mattress / box springs for 15 years at this point, and itā€™s time for a change. Not having been to ā€œbig nameā€ stores or actually tested any other types of mattresses, I feel fairly confident about which direction to go in based upon what Iā€™ve read here. I deeply appreciate the information found on this forum, and think itā€™s time to place an order with Chuck and Dreamfoam. So thank you.

Hi Bazlactica,

Your very welcome and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

I hope you let us know what you decide on.

Phoenix

Hi folks,

I am planning on getting a king size Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory foam mattress - my wife and I tried out the Cloud Luxe and loved it, and this seems like a great alternative.

My question is about what platform to get for it. To be honest, I am mostly just looking for something I can get online. Iā€™m looking at Amazonā€™s ā€œSleep Master - Platform Metal Bed Frame/Foundation.ā€ Would that be sufficient by itself? Are there better options I should be looking into? I donā€™t need a box spring, correct?

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered - my quick search didnā€™t turn up the information I was looking for.

Thanks!

Hi lookingforsleep44,

The issue with these types of these types of wire grid foundations (besides the fact that some of them seem to squeek but this may be fixable depending on where the squeek is coming from) is that the ones that have less longitudinal wires in them also have wider spaces in between the wires and that this can create the risk of the foam sinking into the spaces between the wires over time. In general ā€¦ the ones that have more longitudinal wires and smaller gaps are ā€œsaferā€ but sinking through the gaps is a bigger risk with a latex base layer than it would be with polyfoam which is stiffer. Either way though ā€¦ the larger the gaps are to sink into and the less surface area that supports the mattress, the greater the risk that the foam will sink into them over time.

The manufacturer themselves are usually the best source of information about whether a foundation would be suitable or meet their warranty requirements and you can see some of their foundation suggestions ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: How to Buy the Perfect Foundation for a Latex or Memory Foam Mattress - Brooklyn Bedding.
As you can see they donā€™t recommend box springs ā€¦ only rigid non flexing foundations (which are generally better for foam mattresses than a box spring which has springs in it).

Other suggestions are in the foundation thread here.

If the price is a bigger priority than the support of the foundation then these are probably an acceptable choice (and again the final ā€œauthorityā€ is always the manufacturer) but I would personally spend the few extra dollars to buy a less risky version with smaller gaps between the wires.

Phoenix

I decided on the Ultimate Dreams Queen Eurotop Latex Mattress which I ordered on Saturday. I got an e-mail from Chuck on Sunday with a pretty detailed description of some of the firmness options, and I ended up deciding on a ā€œ5ā€ this morning. I also spoke to Chuck after finalizing the order to ask a few additional questions (if we decide to switch the latex, how long do we have to decide? What are the costs involved, etc?), and he was very helpful.

So far, the process has been great. The uncertainty about knowing what firmness level to order is definitely the worst part, but knowing that we have options if it doesnā€™t work out the first time is a great safety net to have.

Update: Chuck told me yesterday that they would get started making our mattress, and it would ship in the next few days. Less than 24 hours later, I received an e-mail saying that the mattress had been shipped via FedEx. Nice. :slight_smile:

Hi Bazlactica,

Most of the choices that they help people make seem to be very close but I agree that itā€™s always nice to have a backup.

Thanks for your feedback (and your kind comments in your earlier post as well) ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Is there a weight limit for the Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress or the Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress - Queen Size Ultra Plush? Iā€™ve narrowed it down to these two and my head is spinning!!! AHHHH! LOL

Iā€™m a side sleeper and belly sleeper if that helps?

Thanks and amazing site.

Aaron

Hi asjdwf,

I donā€™t think itā€™s as much a matter of a weight limit as it is a matter of the suitability or risk of different designs for different body types and sleeping styles and it will depend on your sleeping positions and your body type not just your weight. I would encourage you to talk with them because they are more familiar with their own mattresses than anyone.

Like most good manufacturers that are knowledgeable, experienced, and have good integrity ā€¦ they will be more concerned with helping to educate and inform you about the most suitable choice than they are trying to ā€œsellā€ you.

IMO though ā€¦ and in general terms ā€¦ once you are above 200 lbs or so I would begin to be a little cautious with memory foam designs that use relatively thick layers of softer or lower density memory foam because of the potential risk of alignment issues and possibly durability and softening issues in some cases as well and would look towards latex or higher density or more ā€œsupportiveā€ memory foam and base layers as well. Once again though ā€¦ the specific design and foam quality will make a difference and they are more familiar with the ā€œrisksā€ of any of their different models than anyone and will give you good advice.

Phoenix

I was leaning towards the latex truthfully anyways. I know Iā€™ve read that the quality seems top notch on the UDLM but how suitable is it for a big guy Lol? Also would you reccommend plush top or euro?

Hi asjdwf,

These types of choices where you are choosing between ā€œgood and goodā€ are really a matter of preference and it would depend on the parts of your ā€œpersonal value equationā€ that are part of every mattress purchase (not just the mattress) that are most important to you. Personally, I put a high value on manufacturers that sell mattresses online that have good options after a purchase for either exchanging the mattress or individual layers in case you make a choice that is not as suitable for your needs and preferences as you would have hoped. This would also depend though on your ā€œrisk toleranceā€ and on your confidence in the suitability of your choice. Less options can mean lower prices and for some people price may be more important than any options after a purchase.

The more challenging the circumstances and the more important the most suitable choice may be (and higher weights can be a more challenging variable in a purchase) the more value I would place on these types of options with an online purchase. I would also consider that with higher weights the layers under the top 3" layer will be more important as well (because you will be compressing them more) and it may be worth considering a mattress where the middle transition layer (the materials under the top 3ā€™ latex layer) is a higher quality and more responsive and adaptable material as well.

I would also keep in mind that the exchange policies with the mattresses on their own site that have them are less costly and more liberal than the ones on Amazon that allow exchanges and there are also options there that are not available with their Dreamfoam line on Amazon.

Finally I would make sure that you have talked to them in more detail about all your options because they are more knowledgeable than anyone about which of their mattresses have the best odds of success for different body types and sleeping styles based on the ā€œaveragesā€ of their customers that may be similar to you and your own personal testing on local mattresses that have similar materials and designs (if they are available locally) can also be useful in helping you to narrow down your best choices based on your actual experience and testing instead of using ā€œaveragesā€ or 'theory".

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Okay Iā€™ve made a choice after laying on the Tempurpedic Cloude Luxe today. I thought it was a bit soft so the DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams 13-Inch Gel Memory Foam should be right down my alley. Two questions though. Since I am a member here how do I get the pillow and the also, what base do you recommend? Does wal-mart sell one or should I get one offline?

Thanks a ton,

Aaron

Hi asjdwf,

To get the ā€œpillow bonusā€ you just need to call or email them to tell them you are a member here and make sure that the mattress is fulfilled by Dreamfoam not Amazon.

The foundation thread here has a large list of foundations in many types and budget ranges that will work. Dreamfoam also sells one here and they also have a list of acceptable foundations here ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint:brooklynbedding.com/memory-latex-foundations.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you very much. If I wanted to get a mattress base locally would this work?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-Steel-Smart-Base-Bed-Frame-Black-Multiple-Sizes/15739163?findingMethod=rr#Product+Reviews

I just want to get it together before I get the mattress.

Also why is the mattress cheaper at the link you sent me than when I search for it on Amazon? Thank you.

Thank you again,

Aaron

Hi asjdwf,

You can see my comments about the wire grid frames with less longitudinal wires in post #48 here.

I would personally buy a better one with more longitudinal wires and better more even support but it would probably be OK but a little more risky over the long term (although the manufacturer is always the one to check with as the final ā€œauthorityā€ about which foundation is OK with their mattresses).

One is fulfilled by Amazon and costs a little more but has the Amazon return policy and has more shipping options and no bonus pillow. You can read about Amazonā€™s large item return policy for mattresses here and as you can see the costs involved are more than their return policy for regular sized items.

The other link is fulfilled by Dreamfoam and includes the bonus pillow and is slightly lower cost.

I suppose that Amazonā€™s search favors the products that they fulfill but I donā€™t know why for sure. The Dreamfoam site is here and if you click the ā€œview our inventoryā€ link it will take you to their Amazon page which includes all the products which they fulfill themselves.

Phoenix

After reading all of the comments on this thread I have decided to go with the Ultimate Dreams mattress as well. I tried out both the Tempurpedic Luxe and Supreme, and honestly thought both were amazing (Iā€™m coming from a 20 year old spring bed). Iā€™ll post an update with how I like it!

Hi Buddmann31,

Congratulations on your new mattress!

I think itā€™s safe to say that it will be a big improvement on your 20 year old mattress :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

So, Dreamfoam is the same company as Brooklyn Bedding? Interesting. If so, Iā€™m wonderingā€¦

Why is the Ultimate Dreams Latex (10") on Amazon only $50 more than the Cotton Camilla (10") on the BB website? They seem to be the same build but the Dreams has a much higher density foam core. Any one do the comparison and can share?

Hi JDMWDC,

While I have no idea into all the factors that may go into the prices that are chosen by individual manufacturers ā€¦ I can tell you they are different designs with different options available. The Ultimate Dreams is a finished design that has no exchange or return options (unless Amazon fulfills the order in which case a return would be subject to the Amazon large item return policy) while the Cotton Camilla has a different cover and a 120 day comfort guarantee where the top layer of latex can be removed and replaced so you can exchange your comfort layer at no cost if you make the wrong comfort choice.

You could also call them and I know they will be happy to help you compare any other differences between the two mattresses.

Phoenix