Review of the Ultimate Dreams mattress

Is there a weight limit for the Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress or the Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress - Queen Size Ultra Plush? Iā€™ve narrowed it down to these two and my head is spinning!!! AHHHH! LOL

Iā€™m a side sleeper and belly sleeper if that helps?

Thanks and amazing site.

Aaron

Hi asjdwf,

I donā€™t think itā€™s as much a matter of a weight limit as it is a matter of the suitability or risk of different designs for different body types and sleeping styles and it will depend on your sleeping positions and your body type not just your weight. I would encourage you to talk with them because they are more familiar with their own mattresses than anyone.

Like most good manufacturers that are knowledgeable, experienced, and have good integrity ā€¦ they will be more concerned with helping to educate and inform you about the most suitable choice than they are trying to ā€œsellā€ you.

IMO though ā€¦ and in general terms ā€¦ once you are above 200 lbs or so I would begin to be a little cautious with memory foam designs that use relatively thick layers of softer or lower density memory foam because of the potential risk of alignment issues and possibly durability and softening issues in some cases as well and would look towards latex or higher density or more ā€œsupportiveā€ memory foam and base layers as well. Once again though ā€¦ the specific design and foam quality will make a difference and they are more familiar with the ā€œrisksā€ of any of their different models than anyone and will give you good advice.

Phoenix

I was leaning towards the latex truthfully anyways. I know Iā€™ve read that the quality seems top notch on the UDLM but how suitable is it for a big guy Lol? Also would you reccommend plush top or euro?

Hi asjdwf,

These types of choices where you are choosing between ā€œgood and goodā€ are really a matter of preference and it would depend on the parts of your ā€œpersonal value equationā€ that are part of every mattress purchase (not just the mattress) that are most important to you. Personally, I put a high value on manufacturers that sell mattresses online that have good options after a purchase for either exchanging the mattress or individual layers in case you make a choice that is not as suitable for your needs and preferences as you would have hoped. This would also depend though on your ā€œrisk toleranceā€ and on your confidence in the suitability of your choice. Less options can mean lower prices and for some people price may be more important than any options after a purchase.

The more challenging the circumstances and the more important the most suitable choice may be (and higher weights can be a more challenging variable in a purchase) the more value I would place on these types of options with an online purchase. I would also consider that with higher weights the layers under the top 3" layer will be more important as well (because you will be compressing them more) and it may be worth considering a mattress where the middle transition layer (the materials under the top 3ā€™ latex layer) is a higher quality and more responsive and adaptable material as well.

I would also keep in mind that the exchange policies with the mattresses on their own site that have them are less costly and more liberal than the ones on Amazon that allow exchanges and there are also options there that are not available with their Dreamfoam line on Amazon.

Finally I would make sure that you have talked to them in more detail about all your options because they are more knowledgeable than anyone about which of their mattresses have the best odds of success for different body types and sleeping styles based on the ā€œaveragesā€ of their customers that may be similar to you and your own personal testing on local mattresses that have similar materials and designs (if they are available locally) can also be useful in helping you to narrow down your best choices based on your actual experience and testing instead of using ā€œaveragesā€ or 'theory".

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Okay Iā€™ve made a choice after laying on the Tempurpedic Cloude Luxe today. I thought it was a bit soft so the DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams 13-Inch Gel Memory Foam should be right down my alley. Two questions though. Since I am a member here how do I get the pillow and the also, what base do you recommend? Does wal-mart sell one or should I get one offline?

Thanks a ton,

Aaron

Hi asjdwf,

To get the ā€œpillow bonusā€ you just need to call or email them to tell them you are a member here and make sure that the mattress is fulfilled by Dreamfoam not Amazon.

The foundation thread here has a large list of foundations in many types and budget ranges that will work. Dreamfoam also sells one here and they also have a list of acceptable foundations here ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint:brooklynbedding.com/memory-latex-foundations.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you very much. If I wanted to get a mattress base locally would this work?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-Steel-Smart-Base-Bed-Frame-Black-Multiple-Sizes/15739163?findingMethod=rr#Product+Reviews

I just want to get it together before I get the mattress.

Also why is the mattress cheaper at the link you sent me than when I search for it on Amazon? Thank you.

Thank you again,

Aaron

Hi asjdwf,

You can see my comments about the wire grid frames with less longitudinal wires in post #48 here.

I would personally buy a better one with more longitudinal wires and better more even support but it would probably be OK but a little more risky over the long term (although the manufacturer is always the one to check with as the final ā€œauthorityā€ about which foundation is OK with their mattresses).

One is fulfilled by Amazon and costs a little more but has the Amazon return policy and has more shipping options and no bonus pillow. You can read about Amazonā€™s large item return policy for mattresses here and as you can see the costs involved are more than their return policy for regular sized items.

The other link is fulfilled by Dreamfoam and includes the bonus pillow and is slightly lower cost.

I suppose that Amazonā€™s search favors the products that they fulfill but I donā€™t know why for sure. The Dreamfoam site is here and if you click the ā€œview our inventoryā€ link it will take you to their Amazon page which includes all the products which they fulfill themselves.

Phoenix

After reading all of the comments on this thread I have decided to go with the Ultimate Dreams mattress as well. I tried out both the Tempurpedic Luxe and Supreme, and honestly thought both were amazing (Iā€™m coming from a 20 year old spring bed). Iā€™ll post an update with how I like it!

Hi Buddmann31,

Congratulations on your new mattress!

I think itā€™s safe to say that it will be a big improvement on your 20 year old mattress :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

So, Dreamfoam is the same company as Brooklyn Bedding? Interesting. If so, Iā€™m wonderingā€¦

Why is the Ultimate Dreams Latex (10") on Amazon only $50 more than the Cotton Camilla (10") on the BB website? They seem to be the same build but the Dreams has a much higher density foam core. Any one do the comparison and can share?

Hi JDMWDC,

While I have no idea into all the factors that may go into the prices that are chosen by individual manufacturers ā€¦ I can tell you they are different designs with different options available. The Ultimate Dreams is a finished design that has no exchange or return options (unless Amazon fulfills the order in which case a return would be subject to the Amazon large item return policy) while the Cotton Camilla has a different cover and a 120 day comfort guarantee where the top layer of latex can be removed and replaced so you can exchange your comfort layer at no cost if you make the wrong comfort choice.

You could also call them and I know they will be happy to help you compare any other differences between the two mattresses.

Phoenix

So I received my Ultimate Dreams 13ā€™ā€™ Memory Foam Mattress yesterday and would like to post a quick review after sleeping on it for one night.

First off I would like to say that the comparison to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe is tenuous at best. They do have similar softness feels, with the Ultimate Dreams being a touch firmer. The main difference that I notice is in the feel of the memory foam. While the Ultimate Dreams is better than many cheaper foam mattresses that I have tried, it doesnā€™t quite conform to the body the same way the Luxe does. For people who really like the Cloud Luxe and then buy the Ultimate Dreams, just realize its not the same bed. The Ultimate Dreams is cheaper for a reason.

Now for the good parts. I still love my bed! Itā€™s the best night sleep Iā€™ve had in a while. It was also about 5x cheaper than the cloud luxe. That is the key here. For people who donā€™t have tons of cash to spend on the absolute best (which I honestly believe the Cloud Luxe was for my sleeping type), this is a great substitute.

Overall the Ultimate Dreams is a great value for the money, and a very comfy bed :slight_smile:

Hello!

New to the forum and just started researching mattresses. This site is awesome; thanks, Phoenix! A couple of questions about the Ultimate Dreams 10 inch Latex Mattress:

1. Is ā€œreflex foamā€ the same as polyfoam comfort layer? Has anyone had problems with degradation of the top 1.5" of this mattress? Does the addition of this easily degradable layer make it functionally an 8 inch mattress instead? Is that even how degradation of a mattress layer works ā€“ meaning If it breaks down, will this cause significant increase of discomfort, or will it basically feel like the layer isnā€™t there?

2. What is the density of the base layer of this mattress? The original poster of this thread said that the density of this matressā€™s base layer was 2.5lb (which is the highest quality), however this reviewer on Amazon claims that they have since downgraded to a 1.5lb foam:

https://www.amazon.com/review/R2180FV6UFXLT3/ref=cm_cr_dp_titleie=UTF8&ASIN=B0051AQXZK&nodeID=1055398&store=home-garden

The information on this website (mattress underground) would suggest this ultimately doesnā€™t matter because the base layer isnā€™t the weakest link, but Iā€™m just curious!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi photuris,

Reflex foam is a name for polyfoam yes.

Not that Iā€™ve heard of no. Itā€™s quilted which means that itā€™s pre-compressed and any false loft is removed. The polyfoam would soften faster than the latex but in a layer this thin the softening of the foam would have little effect on the mattress as a whole beacuse you are already ā€œgoing throughā€ the softer quilting layer into the layers below. This is the reason why I usually suggest a guideline of no more than ā€œaroundā€ an inch or so of polyfoam in the comfort or quilting layers because more than this could result in foam softening having a bigger effect on the feel and performance of the mattress because the layer would be more about pressure relief and have a larger effect on alignment rather than being more about the surface feel of the mattress.

Every layer in a mattress performs a function and has an effect to different degrees on all the other layers of the mattress. Iā€™m not quite sure what you mean by being ā€œfunctionally an 8ā€ mattress". It would be ā€œfunctionallyā€ a 10" mattress but each layer would perform a different role in the overall feel and performance of the mattress. if you removed the quilting layer it would be a different mattress both in terms of feel and performance.

The density was never 2.5 lbs but was originally 2.35 lb. It was also not the ā€œhighest qualityā€ of polyfoam available (which is HR) but was what is called HD foam. You can read more of my thoughts about the change in my long reply to the forum member who changed her review post #14 here.

Yes ā€¦ while it is certainly a change ā€¦ it is not a ā€œfunctionalā€ change that would have a significant effect for most people and for some may even represent an improvement in terms of how the mattress feels.

Phoenix

Hi Buddmann31,

Thanks for your comments :slight_smile:

I think that the comparisons they are trying to make are in terms of the overall softness/firmness level not in terms of the exact design or subjective feel of the mattress which would be much different. You can read more about the different ways to match a mattress in post #2 here.

They certainly are cheaper than the Tempurpedics for a reason but the reason isnā€™t mostly about the quality of the materials they use. They use the same quality of materials as the Cloud Select mattresses (4 and 5 lb memory foam and 1.5 lb base foam) although the foam in their middle layer is lower density than the 7 lb memory foam used in the middle layer of the Luxe. Like all different foams though ā€¦ the same type and quality of materials can have different properties and types of response even though in quality/durability terms they may be very similar.

You canā€™t feel the quality of a material because low quality and high quality materials can feel the same or two equivalent quality materials can feel very different. Quality (as defined by durability) is mostly about how long a mattress will remain close to itā€™s original specs and how it will feel years down the road.

Phoenix

Hey all,

I just wanted to contribute my 2 cents since I spent quite a few hours on this site before pulling the trigger on my Ultimate Dreams mattress. I actually bought my mattress several months ago, but it took me a month or 2 to get used to it, and then after that I was just busy for a whileā€¦ hence the long delay before posting back with my thoughts.

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

I always believed that I could literally sleep on just anything (including the floor), but what I discovered throughout the whole bed buying process is that I can actually only sleep on anything IF itā€™s sufficiently firm. College dorm bed? No problem. Cheap innerspring built for a child? You bet! $200 futon from Walmart? Heck yes! The floor of a hotel room? Yes sir. A sleeping bag outside in a tent? Absolutely. But an expensive, cushy, fluffy, soft, high quality, memory foam bed that cradles my body and is ā€œlike sleeping on a cloudā€? Heaven help my poor tired eyes and aching back the next morning.

So for years, I just slept on my aforementioned $200 Walmart futon and never thought twice about it. Then one day, my brother, who had previously also been sleeping on a different cheap futon, upgraded his bed, and he immediately started raving about how much better his sleep was than before. As such, when I moved into a bigger place closer to where I work, I figured Iā€™d give the whole upgraded bed thing a try too. Before I bought the Ultimate Dreams bed, I actually bought and returned 2 different memory foam beds, both of which felt amazing to lay on, but both of which had me tossing and turning and waking up in pain the next morning, even after weeks and months of trying to adjust. It was at about this point that I came to realize that I can indeed sleep on just about anything firm, but if itā€™s too soft, or too cushiony, it will actually wreak havoc on my sleep. So with that in mind, I hit the internet and the local stores yet again, searching for something sufficiently firm, but also something made from high quality materials and with a very high customer satisfaction rating, and I eventually settled on a 3.5 Ultimate Dreams, which has a 32 ILD latex layer with a tight top (i.e. not much of a cushion layer on top).

My Ultimate Dreams mattress has certainly been a heck of a lot better than the 2 previously mentioned memory foam mattresses that I ultimately had to return. It has a very nice feel to it, and while I am by no means a bed expert, it definitely seems to me like itā€™s a pretty high quality mattress which should last a good long time. That said, Iā€™m afraid Iā€™d be lying if I said that Iā€™m sleeping any better now than I was on that Walmart futon. I do generally fall asleep pretty quickly, but unless Iā€™m dead tired, I still wake up about once or twice a night on average, and I donā€™t exactly hop out of bed in the morning when my alarm clock rings. However, I do wake up pain free, and once Iā€™m up, I donā€™t have any issues with sleepiness throughout the day. When I first started the whole new bed process, I was really hoping to find ā€œthe perfect mattress,ā€ which would allow me to sleep straight through the night and perhaps feel a bit peppier right off the bat each morning, but at this point Iā€™m pretty convinced that that just isnā€™t going to happen for me. I might feel differently if I could identify anything specific about this mattress which I thought might be preventing me from getting a better sleep, but I think the firmness is right on the money for me, and I like the way the mattress feels, so I donā€™t really think thereā€™s a whole lot of room for improvement. So while I do feel like itā€™s a very nice mattress and a pretty great value for what you get, I am a bit disappointed that it didnā€™t do for me what it apparently does for a lot of other people, which is to drastically improve my quality of sleep.

Long story short, even though I do agree that in terms of what you get for your money, the Ultimate Dreams is probably one of the best bed values around, in hindsight, for me personally, I would have been better off saving a lot of time, effort, and money by continuing to just stick with what was working well enough for me.

That all said, Iā€™d still like to once again thank Phoenix for this pretty fantastic site. Even though I was ultimately unable to find that ā€œsleep-altering mattressā€ that I originally set out to find, you clearly help an awful lot of people find theirs, and I certainly could have ended up with something a whole lot worse if not for the wealth of information available on this site.

And for anyone else who actually took the time to read through this, I hope it was worth the read, an I wish you happy (bed) hunting!

All the best,
Bouncer

Hi Bouncer,

You are making some great points and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback :slight_smile:

I think you are in the same position as many others who are looking for their ā€œperfect sleepā€ by finding a ā€œperfect mattressā€. I think though that there are also many other aspects to this that can sometimes be neglected. One of these of course is the mattress but some of the other factors that contribute to the quality of our sleep include our bedtime regimen and schedule, overall health, wellness and fitness, emotional and physical stresses, any medications we may be taking, exercise routines, diet, the use of any stimulants (such as coffee or tea) close to bedtime, light/dark levels, sound in the environment, and many others.

A mattress can certainly help with pressure points and with the neutral alignment that contributes to healthy and regenerative sleep and can help prevent us from waking up (or sleeping poorly) if stresses on the body become too great and different mattresses can also affect temperature and humidity control to different degrees that can also contribute to deep and healthy sleep that can naturally progress through all the sleeping cycles (stage 1 through stage 4) but each of the many factors that contribute to sleep quality are part of a larger picture where all the pieces interact together.

The key ā€¦ as difficult as it may be ā€¦ is to try and identify why you may be feeling any symptoms you may be feeling or the reasons behind any lower quality of sleep that you may experience so you can work on correcting whatever the underlying issues may be. There are actually actually sleep clinics that are dedicated to doing just this.

To the degree that some of the underlying issues are connected with the mattress (pressure relief, posture and alignment, sleeping microclimate, motion separation, freedom of movement, etc) then these can of course be corrected with a change in a mattress or an adjustment to a mattress that we already have but all the other factors can be just as important and often more important to the quality of our sleep and of course they need other types of solutions that arenā€™t connected with a change or adjustment to a mattress.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and bringing up some important issues that are well worth thinking about when someone is looking for a new mattress.

Phoenix

Three weeks in with the Dreamfoam mattress, and no complaints at all. While Iā€™m still unsure if we should have chosen a different level of firmness (we went with a ā€œ5ā€), the minor back and shoulder pain I was getting with our previous mattress is now gone.

I do have a quick question, and would appreciate your advice - we bought a standard 8" box foundation before the mattress was delivered, and it turned out to be entirely too high. We then had to order a low-profile foundation (the local store did not have any in stock), and it was just delivered yesterday. The two foundations, however, are very different in terms of materials. The 8" was wooden, and the Serta low-profile that we just received is labeled as a ā€œsteel boxspring foundationā€ - it has wood on the bottom and steel springs / braces of some sort on the top side that meets the mattress.

When I was buying the mattress, Chuck told me that we needed a foundation, not box springs, so the ā€œsteel boxspring foundationā€ is confusing. Is it okay to be using this with the new mattress?

Thanks in advance for any advice and helpā€¦greatly appreciated.

Hi Bazlactica,

This depends on the specifics of the box spring / foundation and how much flex it has.

The odds are that it is a Serta Stabl base foundation which is a wire grid foundation (not a box spring) has little to no flex and no springs inside it. If the foundation has very little to no flex at all then you will be fine.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: mdserta.com/media/images/interior/why_serta/triple_beam.

Phoenix