Review of the Ultimate Dreams mattress

Finally I will have a place to rest my spine!

Considering I too am on a budget, Iā€™ve finally decided on the Ultimate Dreams 10" latex mattress
Iā€™ll be sure to return with updatesā€¦

Many thanks to Phoenix for creating this indispensable resource.

It has arrived! Will report back soonā€¦

Hi phate,

Youā€™ve certainly making a good choice and Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when the tree marks reach the day of the mattressā€™ arrival :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new mattress!

Phoenix

This is my very first post; as already mentioned this is Great Site with Great Information. I go between this site and another mattress review site. My wife and I are in need of a new mattress. Our 14 yr old Aireloom double-side pillow top innerspring mattress had served us well, but is showing her age and it time to go. So I started my quest to find a new mattress. We visited a few brick and mortar stores and tried a couple of beds, primarily Serta iComfort and iSeries. My wife like the hybrid iSeries bed; but I wasnā€™t crazy about it. We also tried some memory foam beds; but getting in and out of some were difficult. Both my wife and I are not small people. You would definitely put us on the heavy side of the scale; so Iā€™m concerned whether or not a foam or latex bed is suited for us. I hear so many good things about them.

I initially started my search looking at the Saatva mattress. A family member purchased one and loves it. But base on my research I was concerned with going with another innnerspring mattress. My wife and I are also interested in purchasing an adjustable base (Leggett & Pratt) for our new bed.

Which leads me to my first question will an adjustable base reduce the life and efficiency of a foam / latex mattress?

Iā€™ve been currently looking at Ultimate Dreams mattress on Amazon and seeing a large number of positive reviews. Now I just noticed Brooklyn Beddings Bamboo Bliss and the Aloe Alexis. Not sure if the Aloe bed is worth the extra cost. But being heavy people we are concerned about getting two thin of a mattress so to speak. Our current mattress is about 15" thick, it was probably close to 17" when we bought it new 14 yrs ago.

Both my wife and I are primary side sleepers and occasionally back. We like a firm mattress, but not a hard mattress.

So is it possible for a large couple, who desire to lose weight, to find a comfortable foam/latex mattress without having to break the bank?

Hi cviz,

Just in case you havenā€™t read it yet ā€¦ the first place i would start your research is post #1 here which has the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

If the mattress uses materials that are suitable for use on an adjustable bed then in most cases no or at least not significantly. All mechanical forces such as compression or bending will have some effect on the materials over time but better quality materials or foams are very durable and can easily withstand the extra bending with little negative effect on durability. I would also make sure you ask the manufacturer or retailer of a mattress about using it on an adjustable bed to confirm it would be suitable (there are a few exceptions or foam types which may not do as well on an adjustable bed) and to make sure it meets the criteria of the warranty.

The thickness of the mattress is not nearly as important as what is in the mattress. Thick mattresses that use lower quality materials (which is the ā€œnormā€ with many of the major manufacturers) are less durable than much thinner mattresses that use higher quality materials. Mattress thickness in other words is more of a marketing poly if the thickness comes from lower quality materials. There are some legitimate benefits in some cases for a thicker mattress which uses high quality materials though which you can read about in post #14 here.

A mattress softens and breaks down from the top down so the top layers of a mattress are the ā€œweak linkā€ of most mattresses in terms of durability and the heavier you are the more important the quality of the top layers are. For someone who was lighter the top 3" or so may be the most important while for someone who was heavier then the top 6" or so may be more important because heavier weights will sink into the mattress layers more deeply. The extra layer of latex is a ā€œtransitionā€ layer which acts partly for comfort and partly for support and in addition to the performance benefits ā€¦ latex is more durable than polyfoam. You can read a little more about some of the benefits of all latex vs a latex polyfoam hybrid in post #2 here. In the case of the Aloe Alexis, the top two layers (6") would be latex so this would be beneficial in terms of durability for higher weights than a mattress where only the top layer used latex such as in the Bamboo Bliss (which uses high quality materials but only has 3" of latex so if you were heavier then you would ā€œgo throughā€ the top 3" more and the durability of the layers below this become more important).

I guess it would depend on the relative size of the bank but IMO, in most cases absolutely yes :slight_smile:

The other benefit of a mattress which has exchangeable layer is if you do lose weight and your needs and preferences change as a result then you can just replace a layer for a different firmness/softness level instead of the entire mattress.

Phoenix

Iā€™m glad I came across this thread while looking into a new mattress. I am pretty set on Ultra Plush with a softness of 10, as Iā€™m only 150 lbs and an avid side sleeper. Would a slotted bed base such as the Sultan Luroy from Ikea be appropriate for a mattress of this nature? Or do I really need a box spring. I know nothing!

Hi amart798,

You can read more about the different types of foundations that are suitable for different mattresses in post #1 here and the post it links to.

You can see Brooklyn Bedding /Dreamfoamā€™s suggestions for a foundation here and in most cases a foam mattress does best on a firm non flexing foundation or platform bed not on flexible slats or box spring (unless the mattress is thinner and your specific experience or testing or the specific recommendation of a manufacturer indicates that a flexing support system would be better for you on a specific mattress).
ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint:brooklynbedding.com/memory-latex-foundations.

Phoenix

To answer this question, I just called Chuck and asked him about the difference. They are the same mattress with exception of the zipper top in the more expensive Cotton Camilia. He was super nice BTW.

I went ahead and ordered the Dreamfoam as the zipper isnā€™t that important to me.

Thanks for the wonderful site, and wealth of information guys. Iā€™ll be sure to post my thoughts after I receive the bed (and free pillow!).

Hi Stridingman,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Out of curiosity ā€¦ what firmness level did you choose?

Phoenx

I just ordered mine and canā€™t wait.

Hi Nealdo,

You wonā€™t have to wait too long because they normally ship very quickly.

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you receive it.

Phoenix

so after a long debate i ordered the UD 10" latex mattress in a 28 ILD. i also ordered the wire frame from amazon you posted in the bed frame thread. got the mattress friday. quality looks nice. i was a little disappointed though, the only thing i wasnā€™t expecting was that the mattress has a pillow top with that 1.5 " of polyfoam in the quilting. thats really not listed in the description. after two nights i have some lower back pain, not terrible, but definitely not what i was expecting. i thought the mattress would be more like a tight top or that the polyfoam was highly compressed. the pillow top makes the mattress seem way to soft. i have to call chuck tomorrow but i dont know what to do, i am pretty confident it is not the latex, i actually went a step higher than i was thinking of getting originally which was an ILD 24. and the mattress i liked in the store has the following specs below.

1" talalay latex 16 ILD
2" Soy Based High Density 2LB polyfoam 19 ILD
2" Dunlop Latex 24 ILD
6 1/2" Soy Based 1.8 LB Polyfoam 28 ILD

so that leads me to believe that its not the ILD i chose but the top quilting/pillow top. i really wish i would have known that prior to purchasing. i was thinking maybe get another 2" latex topper or 2" memory foam topper to sit on top of the existing pillow top to give the bed more of a tight top feeling. like i said i will call chuck on monday but figured i would ask around here since there is a wealth of knowledge here.
thanks

Hi suffolk,

It actually is listed in their descriptions (see the product description here) and is also mentioned in many threads around the forum. There have even been threads that talked about how they changed the quilting pattern for some of their customers to create a firmer or softer surface that was ā€œin betweenā€ their regular comfort choices. Their description couldnā€™t be more clear that they use 1.5" of soft reflex foam in their quilting.

Your comfort choice is actually a fairly ā€œstandardā€ choice but softness and firmness is subjective and varies with each personā€™s perceptions. For some people your choice would be too firm. For some it would be too soft, and for many it would be just right. I would give it some time though to let the mattress break in and for you to go through the initial adjustment period that is part of every new mattress purchase. I should also clarify that this mattress isnā€™t a pillow top (which has a separate layer that is attached to the mattress like a separate ā€œpillowā€ and the attachment is recessed like thisā€¦ itā€™s what is normally called a tight top.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: 1800mattress.com/en/1800-Mattress-Collection-Hotel-Premium-Pillow-Top-Mattress_73624/.

Your mattress has a very different design than the one you mentioned and there are many different specs that contribute the ā€œfeelingā€ of softness and firmness in a mattress besides just ILD along but based only on ILD then the mattress you listed would appear to be softer overall than the mattress you chose ā€¦ although again softness and firmness are very subjective and ā€œbest guessesā€ based on averages that are part of an online purchase may be accurate for most but of course not for everyone.

If your mattress is already too soft then adding a topper is not a good idea because the softer layers would still compress under the topper and could create an alignment issue (or make an existing issue worse). Itā€™s fairly easy to soften up a mattress that is too firm but itā€™s not very effective to make a mattress firmer by adding layers on top and would normally require the softer layers in either the core or comfort layers to be replaced with firmer or thinner layers. There are some options that may help (at least partially or temporarily) in post #4 here.

Your best course of action would be to do what you are doing and talk to them. If your order was fulfilled by Amazon then you would be covered by their large items return policy but if it was fulfilled by Dreamfoam then it would be best to discuss any options you may have with them.

Phoenix

i guess i was expecting the 1.5" of polyfoam to be tightly compressed, this definitely does not feel like a tight top to me. guess thats subjective too but from my experience at the mattress stores the plush feel in the top inches that feels more like a pillow would be a pillow top. now i have to figure out what to do to get rid of that pillow top feeling. memory foam or another 2" of latexā€¦thats the big question. any advice?
thanks

Hi suffolk,

Oops ā€¦ I hit submit on my last reply before it was complete.

This is very true and softness and firmness is completely subjective and varies with each person. One personā€™s ā€œtoo softā€ is another personā€™s ā€œtoo firmā€ and there is no ā€œformulaā€ that can predict what someone will feel on a mattress outside of their own personal experience. Again though ā€¦ I would always give a new mattress some time to get used to a new sleeping surface because your perceptions can change significantly over the course of the first few weeks.

In general ā€¦ adding a topper to a mattress that is too soft can make an existing alignment issue worse because you would be adding even more soft foam to the top of the mattress which would ā€œallowā€ your pelvis to sink down even further. firmer toppers will still ā€œbendā€ into the softer layers below them.

Post #4 here has some suggestions that may be helpful.

Phoenix

Have any people who sleep very hot tried this bed? Iā€™m in LA and have problems with overheating. Iā€™m thinking the latex should keep everything cooler, but does the top foam make the bed sleep much warmer than something with a top layer of wool?

Hi LA47,

There are many factors that work together which affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress and while youā€™re waiting for any replies from other members ā€¦ post #2 here may be helpful.

Your choice of a mattress protector, a wool or other more breathable mattress pad, or different choices in the type of sheets and bedding you have can also have a significant effect (in either direction) on the sleeping temperature of a mattress that can play just as important a role as the actual foam or the ticking and quilting in the mattress itself.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix, and all you other posters, this thread (and site) is a goldmine of information. After reading about BB and a lackluster trip to Sleepys, my wife and I have decided on the Bamboo Bliss with a level 3 firm comfort layer. Iā€™ll be sure to report back at regular intervals to let everyone know how weā€™re getting along once it arrives.

Hi Deeoh,

Iā€™m glad you found us and that the forum could help.

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback once youā€™ve slept on it and of course from time to time as you have the chance.

Phoenix

Thanks for the info everyone. Iā€™m moving in 2 weeks with my girlfriend and we need a Queen mattress that is not too firm yet not too soft, since we are both side sleepers and like some good support when we sleep. We are both small-average in size. After much thought, I am deciding between the Ultimate Dreams Latex with the #7 firmness level, or the DynastyMatress 10" gel memory foam.

Reviews show that the Latex #7 firmness would provide a nice amount of softness for side sleepers. Reviewers also say that the DynastyMatress gel foam may be too firm for side sleepers. Iā€™m upgrading from my current mattress, an 8 inch Independently Encased Coil Premium Futon Mattress from Walmart. Not bad, but I sometimes wake up with soreness on the side.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hi bmurphy,

Memory foam and latex have a completely different feel and performance but the choice between them is an individual preference so the first thing I would do is test both memory foam and latex at local stores (that can provide you with the information you will need about what you are testing) so you can decide which of these two very different materials are your preference (see post #2 here).

I would never go by reviews when making a mattress choice because each person is very individual and what works well for one person (even if their specific body type and sleeping position is the same) can be completely unsuitable for the next person.

Post #2 here has more information about making comfort choices and the best way is with your personal testing and/or experience and if this isnā€™t possible then a more detailed phone discussion with the manufacturer (who knows more about their mattresses than anyone else and can give you some guidance based on the ā€œaveragesā€ of their customers that may be similar to you) is the next best way to choose. Many manufacturers can also tell you about some local mattresses that are similar to one of their models so you can test a mattress locally to get a sense of what some of their mattresses may feel like. Itā€™s also a good idea if you are unsure to make sure you know the details of any exchange or return policy in case you make a choice that is less than ideal.

Phoenix