Review of the Ultimate Dreams mattress

So, Dreamfoam is the same company as Brooklyn Bedding? Interesting. If so, I’m wondering…

Why is the Ultimate Dreams Latex (10") on Amazon only $50 more than the Cotton Camilla (10") on the BB website? They seem to be the same build but the Dreams has a much higher density foam core. Any one do the comparison and can share?

Hi JDMWDC,

While I have no idea into all the factors that may go into the prices that are chosen by individual manufacturers … I can tell you they are different designs with different options available. The Ultimate Dreams is a finished design that has no exchange or return options (unless Amazon fulfills the order in which case a return would be subject to the Amazon large item return policy) while the Cotton Camilla has a different cover and a 120 day comfort guarantee where the top layer of latex can be removed and replaced so you can exchange your comfort layer at no cost if you make the wrong comfort choice.

You could also call them and I know they will be happy to help you compare any other differences between the two mattresses.

Phoenix

So I received my Ultimate Dreams 13’’ Memory Foam Mattress yesterday and would like to post a quick review after sleeping on it for one night.

First off I would like to say that the comparison to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe is tenuous at best. They do have similar softness feels, with the Ultimate Dreams being a touch firmer. The main difference that I notice is in the feel of the memory foam. While the Ultimate Dreams is better than many cheaper foam mattresses that I have tried, it doesn’t quite conform to the body the same way the Luxe does. For people who really like the Cloud Luxe and then buy the Ultimate Dreams, just realize its not the same bed. The Ultimate Dreams is cheaper for a reason.

Now for the good parts. I still love my bed! It’s the best night sleep I’ve had in a while. It was also about 5x cheaper than the cloud luxe. That is the key here. For people who don’t have tons of cash to spend on the absolute best (which I honestly believe the Cloud Luxe was for my sleeping type), this is a great substitute.

Overall the Ultimate Dreams is a great value for the money, and a very comfy bed :slight_smile:

Hello!

New to the forum and just started researching mattresses. This site is awesome; thanks, Phoenix! A couple of questions about the Ultimate Dreams 10 inch Latex Mattress:

1. Is “reflex foam” the same as polyfoam comfort layer? Has anyone had problems with degradation of the top 1.5" of this mattress? Does the addition of this easily degradable layer make it functionally an 8 inch mattress instead? Is that even how degradation of a mattress layer works – meaning If it breaks down, will this cause significant increase of discomfort, or will it basically feel like the layer isn’t there?

2. What is the density of the base layer of this mattress? The original poster of this thread said that the density of this matress’s base layer was 2.5lb (which is the highest quality), however this reviewer on Amazon claims that they have since downgraded to a 1.5lb foam:

https://www.amazon.com/review/R2180FV6UFXLT3/ref=cm_cr_dp_titleie=UTF8&ASIN=B0051AQXZK&nodeID=1055398&store=home-garden

The information on this website (mattress underground) would suggest this ultimately doesn’t matter because the base layer isn’t the weakest link, but I’m just curious!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi photuris,

Reflex foam is a name for polyfoam yes.

Not that I’ve heard of no. It’s quilted which means that it’s pre-compressed and any false loft is removed. The polyfoam would soften faster than the latex but in a layer this thin the softening of the foam would have little effect on the mattress as a whole beacuse you are already “going through” the softer quilting layer into the layers below. This is the reason why I usually suggest a guideline of no more than “around” an inch or so of polyfoam in the comfort or quilting layers because more than this could result in foam softening having a bigger effect on the feel and performance of the mattress because the layer would be more about pressure relief and have a larger effect on alignment rather than being more about the surface feel of the mattress.

Every layer in a mattress performs a function and has an effect to different degrees on all the other layers of the mattress. I’m not quite sure what you mean by being “functionally an 8” mattress". It would be “functionally” a 10" mattress but each layer would perform a different role in the overall feel and performance of the mattress. if you removed the quilting layer it would be a different mattress both in terms of feel and performance.

The density was never 2.5 lbs but was originally 2.35 lb. It was also not the “highest quality” of polyfoam available (which is HR) but was what is called HD foam. You can read more of my thoughts about the change in my long reply to the forum member who changed her review post #14 here.

Yes … while it is certainly a change … it is not a “functional” change that would have a significant effect for most people and for some may even represent an improvement in terms of how the mattress feels.

Phoenix

Hi Buddmann31,

Thanks for your comments :slight_smile:

I think that the comparisons they are trying to make are in terms of the overall softness/firmness level not in terms of the exact design or subjective feel of the mattress which would be much different. You can read more about the different ways to match a mattress in post #2 here.

They certainly are cheaper than the Tempurpedics for a reason but the reason isn’t mostly about the quality of the materials they use. They use the same quality of materials as the Cloud Select mattresses (4 and 5 lb memory foam and 1.5 lb base foam) although the foam in their middle layer is lower density than the 7 lb memory foam used in the middle layer of the Luxe. Like all different foams though … the same type and quality of materials can have different properties and types of response even though in quality/durability terms they may be very similar.

You can’t feel the quality of a material because low quality and high quality materials can feel the same or two equivalent quality materials can feel very different. Quality (as defined by durability) is mostly about how long a mattress will remain close to it’s original specs and how it will feel years down the road.

Phoenix

Hey all,

I just wanted to contribute my 2 cents since I spent quite a few hours on this site before pulling the trigger on my Ultimate Dreams mattress. I actually bought my mattress several months ago, but it took me a month or 2 to get used to it, and then after that I was just busy for a while… hence the long delay before posting back with my thoughts.

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

I always believed that I could literally sleep on just anything (including the floor), but what I discovered throughout the whole bed buying process is that I can actually only sleep on anything IF it’s sufficiently firm. College dorm bed? No problem. Cheap innerspring built for a child? You bet! $200 futon from Walmart? Heck yes! The floor of a hotel room? Yes sir. A sleeping bag outside in a tent? Absolutely. But an expensive, cushy, fluffy, soft, high quality, memory foam bed that cradles my body and is “like sleeping on a cloud”? Heaven help my poor tired eyes and aching back the next morning.

So for years, I just slept on my aforementioned $200 Walmart futon and never thought twice about it. Then one day, my brother, who had previously also been sleeping on a different cheap futon, upgraded his bed, and he immediately started raving about how much better his sleep was than before. As such, when I moved into a bigger place closer to where I work, I figured I’d give the whole upgraded bed thing a try too. Before I bought the Ultimate Dreams bed, I actually bought and returned 2 different memory foam beds, both of which felt amazing to lay on, but both of which had me tossing and turning and waking up in pain the next morning, even after weeks and months of trying to adjust. It was at about this point that I came to realize that I can indeed sleep on just about anything firm, but if it’s too soft, or too cushiony, it will actually wreak havoc on my sleep. So with that in mind, I hit the internet and the local stores yet again, searching for something sufficiently firm, but also something made from high quality materials and with a very high customer satisfaction rating, and I eventually settled on a 3.5 Ultimate Dreams, which has a 32 ILD latex layer with a tight top (i.e. not much of a cushion layer on top).

My Ultimate Dreams mattress has certainly been a heck of a lot better than the 2 previously mentioned memory foam mattresses that I ultimately had to return. It has a very nice feel to it, and while I am by no means a bed expert, it definitely seems to me like it’s a pretty high quality mattress which should last a good long time. That said, I’m afraid I’d be lying if I said that I’m sleeping any better now than I was on that Walmart futon. I do generally fall asleep pretty quickly, but unless I’m dead tired, I still wake up about once or twice a night on average, and I don’t exactly hop out of bed in the morning when my alarm clock rings. However, I do wake up pain free, and once I’m up, I don’t have any issues with sleepiness throughout the day. When I first started the whole new bed process, I was really hoping to find “the perfect mattress,” which would allow me to sleep straight through the night and perhaps feel a bit peppier right off the bat each morning, but at this point I’m pretty convinced that that just isn’t going to happen for me. I might feel differently if I could identify anything specific about this mattress which I thought might be preventing me from getting a better sleep, but I think the firmness is right on the money for me, and I like the way the mattress feels, so I don’t really think there’s a whole lot of room for improvement. So while I do feel like it’s a very nice mattress and a pretty great value for what you get, I am a bit disappointed that it didn’t do for me what it apparently does for a lot of other people, which is to drastically improve my quality of sleep.

Long story short, even though I do agree that in terms of what you get for your money, the Ultimate Dreams is probably one of the best bed values around, in hindsight, for me personally, I would have been better off saving a lot of time, effort, and money by continuing to just stick with what was working well enough for me.

That all said, I’d still like to once again thank Phoenix for this pretty fantastic site. Even though I was ultimately unable to find that “sleep-altering mattress” that I originally set out to find, you clearly help an awful lot of people find theirs, and I certainly could have ended up with something a whole lot worse if not for the wealth of information available on this site.

And for anyone else who actually took the time to read through this, I hope it was worth the read, an I wish you happy (bed) hunting!

All the best,
Bouncer

Hi Bouncer,

You are making some great points and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback :slight_smile:

I think you are in the same position as many others who are looking for their “perfect sleep” by finding a “perfect mattress”. I think though that there are also many other aspects to this that can sometimes be neglected. One of these of course is the mattress but some of the other factors that contribute to the quality of our sleep include our bedtime regimen and schedule, overall health, wellness and fitness, emotional and physical stresses, any medications we may be taking, exercise routines, diet, the use of any stimulants (such as coffee or tea) close to bedtime, light/dark levels, sound in the environment, and many others.

A mattress can certainly help with pressure points and with the neutral alignment that contributes to healthy and regenerative sleep and can help prevent us from waking up (or sleeping poorly) if stresses on the body become too great and different mattresses can also affect temperature and humidity control to different degrees that can also contribute to deep and healthy sleep that can naturally progress through all the sleeping cycles (stage 1 through stage 4) but each of the many factors that contribute to sleep quality are part of a larger picture where all the pieces interact together.

The key … as difficult as it may be … is to try and identify why you may be feeling any symptoms you may be feeling or the reasons behind any lower quality of sleep that you may experience so you can work on correcting whatever the underlying issues may be. There are actually actually sleep clinics that are dedicated to doing just this.

To the degree that some of the underlying issues are connected with the mattress (pressure relief, posture and alignment, sleeping microclimate, motion separation, freedom of movement, etc) then these can of course be corrected with a change in a mattress or an adjustment to a mattress that we already have but all the other factors can be just as important and often more important to the quality of our sleep and of course they need other types of solutions that aren’t connected with a change or adjustment to a mattress.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and bringing up some important issues that are well worth thinking about when someone is looking for a new mattress.

Phoenix

Three weeks in with the Dreamfoam mattress, and no complaints at all. While I’m still unsure if we should have chosen a different level of firmness (we went with a “5”), the minor back and shoulder pain I was getting with our previous mattress is now gone.

I do have a quick question, and would appreciate your advice - we bought a standard 8" box foundation before the mattress was delivered, and it turned out to be entirely too high. We then had to order a low-profile foundation (the local store did not have any in stock), and it was just delivered yesterday. The two foundations, however, are very different in terms of materials. The 8" was wooden, and the Serta low-profile that we just received is labeled as a “steel boxspring foundation” - it has wood on the bottom and steel springs / braces of some sort on the top side that meets the mattress.

When I was buying the mattress, Chuck told me that we needed a foundation, not box springs, so the “steel boxspring foundation” is confusing. Is it okay to be using this with the new mattress?

Thanks in advance for any advice and help…greatly appreciated.

Hi Bazlactica,

This depends on the specifics of the box spring / foundation and how much flex it has.

The odds are that it is a Serta Stabl base foundation which is a wire grid foundation (not a box spring) has little to no flex and no springs inside it. If the foundation has very little to no flex at all then you will be fine.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: mdserta.com/media/images/interior/why_serta/triple_beam.

Phoenix

The frustrating part is not knowing what I have - all searches I do based on the manufacturer label have led to zero results - but the picture you showed me seems to be correct. Again, thank you very much.

Hi Bazlactica,

If you press firmly with your hands (or knees) and there is little to no flex across the whole surface then you will likely be fine (and you could probably feel the wire grid surface).

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix.

First off thank you for contributing your time and expertise to this forum. It is an invaluable source of information and guidance for someone who is trying to find their way through a mattress purchase.

After many hours of combing this site I have decided on a Bamboo Bliss from Brooklyn Bedding. I’m a pretty hot sleeper so I think the latex will be a little cooler to sleep on. Plus, when I’ve tried various memory foam vs latex mattresses I like the response of the latex better.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Spencer

Hi Sst3wart,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind words as well and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

It appears that the Camilla and Bamboo Bliss (on BB website) are now $200 more than the Amazon “equivalent”, Ultimate Dreams 10" or 12" (Eurotop). I’m guessing the main reason is the ability to interchange the top layer through BB. The Ultimate Dreams also mentions: “Quilted Bamboo cover contains 100% biodegradable bamboo fibers with 1.5 inches of super soft reflex foam”, where the BB one say “1 inch chemical free wool and soft reflex foam”. I remember reading somewhere (here) that anything over 1" was not good.

These Ultimate Dreams seem very popular and highly recommended, and are definitely a bargain if you get the firmness right. Think I am leaning towards the 12" over the Denver Telluride I was considering.

edit: I got info from Jacob (very responsive!). It is free within 120 days to exchange comfort on Brooklyn Bedding, it is not free on Amazon. Any information on BB only applies to BB, not Amazon. Amazon’s Dreamfoam Bedding is considered our sister company. The core foam on Amazon is 1.5#, the Brooklin Bedding core (Bamboo Bliss and Camilla) is 2.17#. Worth buying at BB and getting the 5% discount.

[quote=“JDMWDC” post=19243]So, Dreamfoam is the same company as Brooklyn Bedding? Interesting. If so, I’m wondering…

Why is the Ultimate Dreams Latex (10") on Amazon only $50 more than the Cotton Camilla (10") on the BB website? They seem to be the same build but the Dreams has a much higher density foam core. Any one do the comparison and can share?[/quote]

Hi tcat007,

As far as I know and just to clarify … the entry level Cotton Camilla also uses 1.5 lb HD base foam along with the Amazon mattresses.

The other mattresses on the BB site use the 2.17 lb polyfoam.

The Ultra Plush on Amazon doesn’t really have an equivalent on their own BB site because the top layer can’t be exchanged and is a different design although the materials are similar to the Cotton Camilla so from this perspective they are comparable. Outside of having 2" less polyfoam … the Cotton Camilla is more comparable to the Amazon Eurotop in terms of design, exchange options, and materials. There are fewer comfort options available but the exchange policy is more liberal.

The Amazon Eurotop is only similar to the Bamboo Bliss in terms of total thickness (which is not particularly meaningful). The base foam in the Bamboo Bliss is higher density than the Amazon Eurotop and the cover is also much higher quality because it includes wool in the quilting which is used for the fire barrier and wool also helps with humidity and temperature regulation (and is much more costly than polyfoam).

The guideline I use is “around” an inch or so. I tend to become more cautious once the thickness of lower density polyfoam used in a quilting layer or in the comfort layers is 2" or more. The 1.5" of polyfoam is also quilted to the cover which pre-compresses it and improves durability and removes any “false loft” from the foam. In other words quilted polyfoam would be more durable than the same foam used in a comfort layer that wasn’t quilted. There isn’t an exact point where the thickness changes from being OK to “not OK” so the guidelines I use have “fuzzy edges” to take small differences and fractions of an inch into account. With the quilting in the Ultimate Dreams I would consider the quilted polyfoam layer to be in an acceptable range where the the softening of the quilting layer won’t have a significant effect on the durability of the mattress.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=20056]Hi tcat007,

As far as I know and just to clarify … the entry level Cotton Camilla also uses 1.5 lb HD base foam along with the Amazon mattresses.

The other mattresses on the BB site use the 2.17 lb polyfoam.

The Ultra Plush on Amazon doesn’t really have an equivalent on their own BB site because the top layer can’t be exchanged and is a different design although the materials are similar to the Cotton Camilla so from this perspective they are comparable. Outside of having 2" less polyfoam … the Cotton Camilla is more comparable to the Amazon Eurotop in terms of design, exchange options, and materials. There are fewer comfort options available but the free exchange policy is better.

The Amazon Eurotop is only similar to the Bamboo Bliss in terms of total thickness (which is not particularly meaningful). The base foam in the Bamboo Bliss is higher density than the Amazon Eurotop and the cover is also much higher quality because it includes wool in the quilting which is used for the fire barrier and wool also helps with humidity and temperature regulation (and is much more costly than polyfoam). As you mentioned exchanges are also free while on the Amazon Eurotop there is a cost involved.

The guideline I use is “around” an inch or so. I tend to become more cautious once the thickness of lower density polyfoam used in a quilting layer or in the comfort layers is 2" or more. The 1.5" of polyfoam is also quilted to the cover which pre-compresses it and improves durability and removes any “false loft” from the foam. In other words quilted polyfoam would be more durable than the same foam used in a comfort layer that wasn’t quilted. There isn’t an exact point where the thickness changes from being OK to “not OK” so the guidelines I use have “fuzzy edges” to take small differences and fractions of an inch into account. With the quilting in the Ultimate Dreams I would consider the quilted polyfoam layer to be in an acceptable range where the the softening of the quilting layer won’t have a significant effect on the durability of the mattress.

Phoenix[/quote]

Phoenix,

Your level of knowledge and sharing is exceptional!!

I am trying to decide between the Amazon - Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress and the 12" Bamboo Bliss direct from Brooklyn Bedding and this information is really pushing me towards paying the extra money for the Bamboo Bliss. With the 5% discount and the higher quality etc. it makes way more sense!!

You and the mattress underground are awesome!!

Probably worth the extra $150 for the Bamboo Bliss. Since if you decide to exchange the top layer on the Ultimate Dreams, it’s an extra $75, making it only a $75 difference. You get the better base foam and the wool in the cover (although in the pictures the covers look identical). I’m allergic to wool, but under a mattress pad and sheets, I doubt it would effect me.

Just need to convince my wife that latex foam will be MUCH nicer and softer than the firm memory foam mattress we have in our second bedroom. I plan on showing her the Telluride at Denver Mattress and telling her it’s “the same” latex top layer so it will feel as good… (but I’d much rather order the Bamboo Bliss online since I think it’s a much better mattress and deal)

Hi zer0sum,

I know that it’s always tempting to look at “value” in terms of price alone or to make the price of a mattress the most significant part of “value” but when the differences are relatively small and both are in your budget range … my own thoughts are that one of the most significant parts of the “value” of a mattress is how well it matches your specific needs and preferences, how long it is likely to continue to do so (its durability), and what options you have if you need to make changes or adjustments either now or in the future.

A mattress is one of the most important purchases you can make and will have a more significant effect on your overall well being than almost any other purchase you will make (hidden or obvious). In most cases … over the life of a mattress … you will remember much more about how well you slept on a mattress than you will how much you originally paid for it (especially if the differences are relatively small).

All of these things are the basis behind what I call your “personal value equation” which is really a way to factor in all the most important parts of a mattress purchase that can determine it’s “value to you” rather than just it’s “commodity value” or the price alone.

The Bamboo Bliss is a better quality mattress with more beneficial features than the Eurotop and if these extra features have “value” to you in “real world” terms (better temperature control, a better exchange policy so you can make comfort adjustments if your initial choice isn’t close to your “ideal”, and a higher quality base layer) then the extra cost would certainly be worth it IMO.

For those where the initial cost alone is the most important factor in their personal value equation or where the additional benefits of the Bamboo Bliss are less important … then the Eurotop is also a great choice even though it’s not the same quality and lacks some of the features of the Bamboo Bliss.

Phoenix

After much research, I’ve decided to give this mattress a shot with price and quality in consideration (college student).