Review: Select Foam's Regalis HD Memory Foam Mattress

Last night was my first time sleeping on my new Regalis HD Memory Foam Mattress from Select Foam. It was the best sleep I’ve had in months. However, that could have been somewhat due to the gym workout I had earlier that night. Over the next few weeks I will be updating this thread to give you all some insight into how this mattress feels.

Hi VA sleeper,

Thanks for the update and feedback … I appreciate it.

I’m looking forward to any ongoing reports that you have the chance to share with us :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’ve had the Regalis for two weeks.

No odor at all.

I think it is definitely more comfortable and healthy than a regular mattress because it conforms to your body. However, I think it may be too firm for my back.

I had back surgery in December and since some time in February I experience pain in my lower back after laying in bed for more than about 4.5 hours. The pain is enough that it wakes me up. When I wake up, it feels as if the mattress is pushing upward into my lower back. Compared to my old regular mattress, the pushing up feeling of the Regalis is much less, but it is still quite evident. This seems odd because when I first lay down for bed it feels like it conforms to my body very well. Who knows, it may just be my back and not the mattress at all.

I’m also wondering if the problem may be the box spring and/or the metal frame that the box spring is sitting on instead of the mattress itself (I didn’t get a foundation).

I’m thinking about sending this back and trying Select Foam’s Cirrus Luxe or Cirrus Supreme and/or purchasing a foundation. Even though it hasn’t worked out great for me so far, the Regalis seems to be a good quality mattress, so at this point I would still recommend Select Foam.

Hi VAsleeper,

Thanks for update #2 :slight_smile:

Post #2 here has more information about the break in (for the mattress) and adjustment period (for the person on the mattress) of a new mattress. Both of these will often take longer than 2 weeks … particularly if your mattress has higher quality foam in it. Memory foam has very low resilience so it wouldn’t be “pushing back” on your back (just like a floor can feel firm under the areas of contact but doesn’t push back) but a new mattress will also distribute pressure across the body surface differently from what you are used to which is part of why a mattress needs to conform to your body shape. A mattress that is more supportive under the lumbar curve is usually a “good thing” … at least within reason … and the feeling you are describing is often part of the adjustment period for any new mattress. The last thing you would want is no support under the lumbar curve (usually caused by a mattress with comfort layers that are too firm or thin so you don’t sink in far enough to fill in the gaps in your sleeping profile and help maintain the natural spinal alignment).

Of course this could also be related to your medical issues which could lead you to be more sensitive to changes in your sleeping surface or experience pain and discomfort that are the result of your back issues themselves rather than the mattress.

Yes … if you have a box spring that flexes then this could make a significant difference as well. A memory foam mattress is designed to work best on a rigid non flexing foundation and if your boxspring has springs in it then it would be contributing to allowing your heavier areas (pelvis/hips) to sink in too far which could add pressure to the lumbar spine. You could test this by putting the mattress on a non flexing surface like the floor and sleeping on it for a few days to see what difference it makes.

The first (and best) suggestion though when you have any questions or concerns about a mattress is to talk with the manufacturer or retailer where you purchased it who will generally be able to provide you with some good guidance and insight based on their knowledge and experience with their mattresses.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. I took your advice by moving the mattress on to the floor. This is my third night using it on the floor; it’s been considerably more comfortable this way. Still have some of the pushing back feeling that I described, but much less since I moved the mattress to the floor. I’m considering either leaving it on the floor or purchasing a foundation. When I initially purchased this mattress from Select Foam, they were offering it with a free foundation but I declined the foundation because it was not returnable; if I decided to return the mattress, I’d still have to keep and pay $300 for the foundation. I’m going to contact Select Foam this week to ask if they’ll still honor the free foundation offer.

I’m only about 35 days into my 90-day trial. I want to keep this mattress, and I think I will, but I’m also considering purchasing their Cirrus Luxe or Cirrus Supreme. Perhaps I’ll keep this mattress and try out the Luxe/Supreme while still owning the Regalis and just keep whichever is most comfortable. It’s difficult to imagine being able compress one of these mattresses enough to be able to get it back into the box to return it.

As of now, I’m happy with the improvement resulting from moving my mattress to the floor, and I’m looking forward to seeing if it becomes even more comfortable as it continues to go through the break-in period. It’s definitely way more comfortable than the mattress I had before.

Hi VAsleeper,

I’m glad that a firmer support surface is helping you … and thanks for keeping us up to date :slight_smile:

You wouldn’t be able to compress the mattress back into the box (it needs specialized equipment to compress it) but this isn’t required to be able to return the mattress.

I would check with them though before you did this because if I was a manufacturer or retailer I wouldn’t allow a customer to buy a second mattress and still be able to return the first one … even if it was a “loophole” in their return policy. A manufacturer would need to double their prices (or at least increase them substantially) to make this a viable option.

Phoenix

Update: I decided that the Regalis is too firm for me. It’s good quality and is as described on Select Foam’s website, but I feel that I should have initially gone with a soft mattress as opposed to a “medium/firm” which is what the Regalis is listed as.

I’m using Select Foam’s 90-day return/exchange policy by exchanging my queen Regalis for a queen Cirrus Luxe ES. I decided to go with the Luxe after spending about 40 minutes in a department store laying on a TP Cloud Luxe. Today I paid the difference (the Luxe is more expensive) and promptly received an exchange confirmation via email.

One key thing is they do not require me to return the Regalis until the Luxe arrives, that way I’m not without a bed for a couple weeks.

Also, they’re currently offering $300 off any purchase over $2000, and even though my original purchase was during a time when they weren’t offering that deal, they are honoring the $300 off on my exchange. The queen sized Cirrus Luxe ES is just under $2000 (it’s $1999) but I decided to also purchase a foundation along with this exchange, which put me over the minimum for the $300 off sale. The foundation is priced at $300, so I’m essentially getting the foundation for free.

My sales agent at Select Foam is Peter Guerrero. Peter has been very helpful, listened carefully to my back and sleep issues, did not give me any trouble at all about doing the exchange, and seems to be genuinely focused on helping me find the right mattress.

Hi VAsleeper,

Thanks again for the update :slight_smile:

It’s great to see you are receiving the kind of good help and guidance … and service … that goes with dealing with better manufacturers.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive the Luxe ES and hopefully it will be a great match for you.

Phoenix