Right mattress for us?

So I’m 5’7 fluctuate between 150 -190lbs (powerlifter) , GF is 5’4 125-130 lbs we fall asleep on our sides but are a bit of combination sleepers looking for a hybrid. We’re eyeing the 360 pillowtop Hybrid but a bit confused about what exactly the 2" bottom layer would be if we customized the bed to be medium plush talaylay. If not that mattress configuration, what would you recommend? I’m tired of having back pain :S

Hello Will22ns and thanks for the inquiry! The 360 Hybrid has 2" of firm Dunlop (40 ILD) on the bottom regardless of what the top layer is.

Outside of the 360 Hybrid, I would recommend the 10" organic latex mattress with soft Talalay for the top layer, medium Dunlop for the middle layer, and firm Dunlop for the bottom layer for both sides of the mattress. The top Talalay layer should provide all the contour and pressure relief needed to avoid any pressure point issues and will add secondary support to the mattress. Secondary support is needed to fill in the gaps between your body and the mattress – back sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between the small of their back and the mattress; side sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between their mid-section and the mattress. If these parts of a person’s body aren’t supported by the mattress, their muscles will work throughout the night to hold these parts of the body up, and by the time they wake up they’ve got back pain. So the top 3" of Talalay latex will provide contour, pressure relief, and secondary support. The remaining Dunlop layers should provide all the support needed to maintain proper spinal alignment and avoid back pain. Please keep in mind that our initial recommendations have a 90% success rate (we only have a 10% layer exchange rate and a 3%-4% return rate) so there’s a 90% chance that the above recommendation works perfectly for you.

Even though both sides would be the same, I would still recommend splitting all of your layers. About 95% of our mattresses go out with all split layers from top to bottom, and we get zero complaints on being able to feel the split and we get zero complaints about the layers shifting or anything like that. If all of your layers are split, you will always be able to adjust your side without affecting your partner’s side and vice versa, and you’ll have that option for the entire 20 year lifespan of the mattress. Additionally, the mattress will be easier to assemble, easier to move if needed, easier to do any layer exchanges if needed, and easier to return if needed. There really are no downsides to having all split layers.

Which one would you recommend based on our stats and sleeping positions? Do most side and stomach sleepers with our stats usually purchase your all latex or hybrid model? Thanks for the response btw.

Since I can’t say in advance which mattress would be better for your specific needs and preferences, I’m hesitate to recommend one directly over the other, but I’m happy to give you some extra info to help you make a more informed decision regarding the differences. All-latex mattresses offer a much finer degree of adjustability than latex and coil hybrids do. All-latex mattresses can be adjusted to be slightly softer, moderately softer, much softer, or slightly firmer, moderately firmer, much firmer. You can increase the pressure relief slightly, moderately, or vastly. You can increase the back support slightly, moderately, or vastly. Since latex and coil hybrids normally have only 2 components (3" of latex and the coils) you really have limited options to adjust the mattress, and any change that is made is normally a big change. Not everyone needs the level of adjustability that the all-latex mattress offers. As such, customers will choose latex and coil hybrids if they’re 230 pounds or less; like the feel of a latex and coil hybrid; want a mattress with more edge support than all-latex mattresses; like the lower price point; and / or want to retain some of the feel of a standard spring mattress while getting some of the benefits of latex. Latex and coil hybrids typically last 10-15 years and all-latex mattresses typically last 15-20 years, just FYI.

With all that said, given the level of adjustability that the organic mattress offers, my advice is to order the organic mattress just to ensure you both can find a setup that mattresses your specific needs and preferences in both the short term and long term.