Rocky Mountain mattress, any insight?

Hi haeffele,

If you look at this page you will see the goals, ideals, and values of this site and you will notice that one of the ideals is “knowledgeable consumers” and the information that can help consumers become more knowledgeable is much of what this site is all about and the reason it exists.

I’m not sure if you read my previous reply which deals with most of what you repeated in your last post but regardless of your experience … the reality of the industry is that by your standards … most if not all mattress manufacturers would be “thieves, liars, and shysters” because their written warranty requires you to return a defective mattress at your expense and your “warning” basically translates into “don’t buy a mattress from anyone” and you may as well be sleeping on the floor. Part of being an informed consumer and one of the goals of the site is to help consumers replace hindsight with foresight so that you would be aware of this type of information before you make a purchase.

While of course nobody wants to be in a situation like yours and I think that most people would be frustrated to have a defective product of any type … it’s also a reality that some mattresses will be defective and I think that most people would realize that to judge every mattress made by a company based on one person’s experience with a defective mattress makes no sense at all. As unfortunate as it may be … every company will have a defective mattress on occasion.

The corporate offices of Rocky Mountain Mattress are in Lehi, Utah and the factory that manufactures their mattresses is in Conover, NC (see here). I’m not clear why this would somehow mean that they aren’t “Rocky Mountain Mattress Company” or that they aren’t legitimate. The company that designs and sells a mattress is often not in the same city or area or state as the factory that makes it.

If you change your approach from one of belligerence and reaction to one of reason and cooperation then they may be willing to work with you to help you find a shipper that can return your mattress for a lower cost but it certainly shouldn’t cost you $800 to return your mattress and have a new one delivered to you.

If you were more knowledgeable and informed about mattress materials and the industry you would realize that they certainly aren’t “junk products” and if you step back a little bit from your more emotional and reactive approach you would realize that as unfortunate as it may be … you appear to have a defective mattress and the most effective approach to resolve your situation would be to talk with them and find out what it’s possible to do rather than just venting about issues that are part of the whole industry and not just one company that you purchased a mattress from.

Sometimes the reality of a situation isn’t what we hope for or even like very much … but it’s what we have to deal with until it changes.

Phoenix