Rotating a latex mattress

Thanks for your very informative site, even if it has made choosing the right mattress harder!
I’ve been trying out different styles and the Berkley Ergonomics all latex 7 zone mattress is one of the ones I have liked. However, the way the mattress is designed with the zones being created by putting grooves of various sizes at the interface between 2 3"layers of the latex support core, the mattress definitely can’t be can’t be rotated. After reading about 2 sided mattresses lasting longer and rotating the mattresses, especially in the beginning, is that a significant concern? Would we need to take the thing apart and flip individual components?

Hi MattressCarolina,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

Can you provide a link to the item you’re describing? Your description does not match with the all-latex mattress on the Berkeley Ergonomics site, so I’m a little stumped here.

In general, zoned cores like you described can be rotated head-to-toe, as the zones are usually the same on either side of the center of the middle.

I’ll look at what you’re referencing once you post the link.

Thanks!

Phoenix

There’s a picture of a cross-section here if you scroll down 100% Natural Talalay Latex Mattresses > Berkeley Ergonomics
I hadn’t paid that much attention to the holes, I just knew they claimed 7 zones. Looking at it again, the pattern of the holes looks pretty symmetrical so I guess you can rotate it.

That said, I ended up buying a 9" latex mattress from Sleep EZ late this afternoon. 3" firm dunlop, 3" med dunlop, 2" soft talalay. They seemed to be the most knowledgeable of the people I talked to and I was sick to death of researching.

Their online questionaire suggested a firm-med-med but I liked the Berkley with a 2" soft talalay layer and 6" firm talalay layer and couldn’t tell much difference between that and the 6" med support layer so I’m hoping what I got will work. I thought about getting the 10" but the bed is too high with our set as it is and with the med mid layer, I was afraid a 3" top layer would be too soft. I guess we’ll see.

Now I have to research a mattress protector. If you bother to get a knitted wool mattress cover, It seems like it makes sense to get a knitted wool protector or you lose some of the benefits of having the wool underneath, no?

Based on this post of yours I found relating to to mattress protectors, I think I’m going to use my old one to start so I can see if I need to tweak anything by my choice of protector.

Hi MattressCarolina,

Yes, that’s the product I was referencing. The mattress can be rotated. From your earlier posts, it was unclear to me and it sounded and if you were describing some sort of two-sided mattress, which this is not. That was the source of my confusion.

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer: You certainly chose an item using good quality and durable materials. As you may be aware, SleepEZ is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

It’s helpful to relate to any manufacturer you’re considering any local testing that you have done. I’m looking forward to learning about your new mattress after you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for awhile.

That sounds like a good plan. You can always change if it doesn’t work out.

Phoenix