S-cape mattress decisions

Because of health issues, I have decided to purchase a split king adjustable bed, and after weighing a huge variety of factors I’m currently considering the following:

The OMF S-cape…but you must purchase their Serenity mattress. If I do, I’m leaning to trying their latex. The sales rep referred all mattress questions ‘to the OMF website.’ He was quite surprised I knew what talalay was, and that latex could be NR or synth SBR, or a blend, :wink: and it felt a bit like a brush-off. But I was happy to have info to research, until I got home and looked up the composition, and the link had very little content and in fact is ‘coming soon.’

http://www.originalmattress.com/adjustable/comfort-choices#serenity_latex

I could also purchase an S-cape online, and have had a friend recommend Richmond Bedding. I buy stuff from Amazon routinely (even bathroom remodeling items like a toilet and vanity!) so I’m not as fearful of a major online purchase. They have a couple latex options they recommend for the S-cape, and I’d like to know if others have any experience with their latex mattresses or advice about them.

http://www.richmondbedding.com/innerspring-adjustable-mattresses/ (latex options - scroll down)

A third option is to get the bed from Richmond, and two latex twin XLs elsewhere…

and I guess the fourth and fifth options can also come into play…Find other online options for the S-cape and mattress; opt for a different adjustable bed…

So I think I’ve reached the point in my research to realize that the more I am learning the less I am able to ‘pull the trigger.’ B)

Knowing ANY of the following will help:

–That the OMF serenity latex mattress is a good option. I should mention I am leaning toward latex partly because of severe allergies, but I also like a plush comfort level.

–That there isn’t a better value than the S-cape at my pricing. I’ve checked locally, and a couple places online…

–That the Richmond Bedding site is a reliable one to deal with.

–That the latex mattresses offered by Richmond with their bed are good options and good value…

Thanks in advance. This is an awesome site, and I’m so glad I found it. Phoenix deserves some kind of award!

Hi KMcollies,

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

I would also treat the purchase of a mattress (or two twin XL mattresses) and an adjustable bed as two separate purchases and I would start with choosing the mattress(es). A mattress is much more personal choice and involves more research and effort to find the mattress that is the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Once you have found a mattress that works on an adjustable bed then an adjustable bed can be purchased at any retailer and is more of a “features vs price” purchase. There is more about buying an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to which includes some retailers that I use as a “value” reference (including Richmond Bedding).

You can see my thoughts about the OMF Serenity latex mattress in post #2 here and in post #3 here. It would certainly be a good quality/value choice and would be well worth considering as one of your finalists if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP. I would also be aware that OMF puts their mattresses on a “working” box spring which would change the feel and performance of the mattress vs a solid non flexing support system such a non flexing foundation or an adjustable bed so I would make sure you test it on an adjustable bed instead of the box spring since that’s what you would be using it on.

[quote]–That there isn’t a better value than the S-cape at my pricing. I’ve checked locally, and a couple places online…

–That the Richmond Bedding site is a reliable one to deal with.[/quote]

I think the adjustable bed thread and my previous comments cover these and should help you find the adjustable bed that is the best value for the features that are important to you.

This would depend on how the specific mattress you were considering there compared to your other finalists in terms of PPP, the quality of the materials, and the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you.

The tutorial post also includes links to some of the better online mattress retailers and manufacturers I’m aware of and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix.

Thanks so much for the quick response and advice. I’ve read up on everything on the site, and have now started taking notes since I’m overloaded.

I’m in Pittsburgh, so any local connections or suggestions are welcome. I don’t see any nearby retailers or manufacturers on the Membership list.

The Personal Value Equation post will be especially useful in helping me be thorough in assessment, and not overlooking various criteria. I’m a little worried because the OMF S-cape on display does NOT have a latex with it, so I will be testing that on a different foundation. Is there any way to ‘adjust?’ I am assuming from what I’ve read elsewhere, that the mattress may feel more comfortable/broken in under these circumstances. I might try visiting other adjustable bed retailers just to test the feel of the latex mattress on them – if I can find that combo. It seems to be less ‘available.’

I currently have my mattress inside an allergy barrier, and covered with a 100% cotton mattress pad which is laundered weekly. Will I need to/be able to cover the latex mattress with an allergy barrier? I assume if it is all latex that might not be necessary, except if the cloth covering is an issue and can’t easily be removed for regular laundering.

I’m going to c&p the info about Serenity you linked in Post #3 so I can reference it easily in this thread. It was very helpful:

[quote]The new Serenity Latex has a different “feel” and design from the old Latex Supreme and for lack of a better word the new one feels firmer or more “substantial” (that’s how it was described to me). The old one was fairly soft compared to many other latex choices.

Both of them have no weak links in the mattress so from a durability point of view both would be good choices (2.5 lb polyfoam is a high quality material and the comfort layers are the most significant factor in the durability of a mattress).

In terms of material value … the old one had 9" of latex (3" of it was convoluted on each side) and was $1559 in queen (mattress only) and the new Serenity has 6" of latex (3" on each side) and a core of high quality polyfoam and is $1449 in a queen so they are very close although in terms of “raw material value” I would probably give the slight edge to the old Latex Supreme but the new one may be a design that more people would prefer. With the new Serenity you are also sleeping more directly on the latex which would be more contouring because the Latex Supreme had 1.5" of polyfoam in the quilting of the mattress. The cover of the Serenity is also a good quality stretch knit vs the Damask (less stretchy) in the Latex Supreme

The raw material cost of a mattress though is only part of the “value” of a mattress and the differences are small enough that I would choose the one that was the best match for you in terms of PPP and your “personal value equation” because both of them are good quality/value choices and the one that “sleeps” the best for you would be the better choice IMO.[/quote]

I am interpreting the bold statement to mean this version will have more of the feel of a memory foam in that the body will ‘sink in’ more?

I am going to also add my notes based on the PPP equation, just so I have all my info I one place. But I welcome ANY comments and help.

Again, many thanks.

My PPP Equation notes:

P1 - Pressure relief in all your sleeping positions and in all the pressure points of your body (most commonly hips and shoulders) … especially on your side if this is one of your sleeping positions. See below* (reminders to check things in-store)

P2 - Posture and alignment
in all your sleeping positions. This is about making sure that your spine is in its neutral alignment when you are completely relaxed on the mattress (which would normally involve at least 15 minutes on the mattress to “simulate” the pre-sleep state when your muscles “let go”). See below* (reminders to check things in-store, based on alignment post )

P3 - What you prefer:

Microclimate, breathability and temperature control – Generally, comfort is more important, and I am pretty tolerant of temperature. I already use only cotton, and maintain other climate concerns carefully due to allergies. I think this will end up being a non-factor if I have already limited myself to latex.

Slow or fast response and where in the range you prefer

Sleeping “on” vs “in” the mattress – I am torn here. On the one hand, I’ve disliked memory foam that made me feel trapped and unable to shift easily, but I also prefer a soft plush feeling. Is there a happy medium in terms of criteria, or is this based purely on subjective experience?

Durability of materials in the mattress – As best as I can afford, naturally. All latex – but that may be out of my price range, and isn’t available if I choose the OMF setup.

Durability of construction (such as one or two sided) – Two sided only. That’s not subject to debate.

Quality and performance of materials and construction – The two so far narrowed seem good choices if they fit my PPP. Can I upgrade, make a better choice?

Ability to open the mattress and exchange layers or make changes after purchase – Nope. If I had $$$ and time, then I’d consider this. But in terms of value and peace of mind I think not. Otherwise, I can see myself ‘chasing the willo-wisp…’

Warranty and warranty exclusions (which are often more important then the warranty itself). You can read more about mattress warranties here. – To do when closer to a decision.

Budget limitations and range – Tentatively decided, try to avoid upselling myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

Price vs quality and value of materials - Ditto.

Mattress only or foundation included – Adjustable Bed

Motion separation with small and large movements – Adjustable Bed, split king

Natural materials vs synthetic – As much natural as possible

The type of cover and quilting (if any) you prefer – cotton, washable regularly, allergy barrier needed?

The ease of movement or movement restriction on the mattress for changing position and “other activities” – see above…

Overall “feel” (such as the difference between combinations that include the “feel” of innersprings and/or different types of foam in the comfort or support layers) – Since I have never had a latex mattress, make sure I compare them with inner spring options again, just to verify it IS latex I want… Easy to do with OMF since there are only three options with the S-cape.

Hi KMcollies,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Pittsburgh area are listed in post #2 here.

I would completely separate the purchase of a mattress from the purchase of an adjustable bed. A latex mattress will feel the same on any flat, solid, non flexing surface (whether it is an adjustable bed, a foundation, or a platform bed) as it will on an adjustable bed in the flat position and the different positions for an adjustable bed would have the same benefits for any mattress regardless of whether it’s latex. I would test for the suitability of a mattress in the flat position and wouldn’t buy a mattress based on how it feels on an adjustable bed that is elevated. If the Serenity at the OMF store you visit is on their box spring then they should be able to switch it to a solid surface such as their adjustable bed so you can feel the difference.

You can cover any mattress with an allergy barrier but it would be less necessary with a latex mattress (see post #2 here for more about dust mite allergies and post #2 here for more about mattress encasements). For most people a regular mattress protector would be fine (see post #89 here for more about the different types) but an encasement would still be a preference for those that are more sensitive or have more significant allergies to dust mites.

You will sink in more to softer latex (or any material) than you will with firmer latex but either way latex and memory foam would be very different from each other. There is more about how they compare in post #2 here but these types of comparisons can also be very subjective so the best way to know how they feel and compare to you would be based on your own experience and perceptions.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=35764]Hi KMcollies,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Pittsburgh area are listed in post #2 here.

[/quote]

This is VERY helpful. thanks!

Update:

I’ve tried a few latex mattresses now and am confident that is the direction I will pursue. I spent a half hour reading and relaxing on the OMF Serenity Latex and liked it a lot. I wouldn’t mind if it was a bit softer, but it felt great, let me relax comfortably, let me move around on it better than the memory foam I’ve experienced and disliked, and fit the criteria I was questioning via the PPP equation.

But.

I did have a couple of concerns. OMF had the data on a placard, but the data seemed less specific than I expected. The mattress is a hybrid. The older version that I’d researched was all latex, including a 6" Dunlop core instead of a poly core so that disappointed me.

The sales rep did show me a cut-away that seemed to be 2½" of latex on either side of a 5" poly core, but the exact measurements of each layer was NOT listed on the placard. After some further questions, he located an ‘internal use only’ spec sheet and made me a copy.

Here are the specs:

[b]CORE:
High density Polyurethane Foam Core – 26-34 ILD, 2.5 lb/ft³ Density, tolerance +/- .1 lb

TOPPER (Two Sided):
Talatech® Talalay Latex Dual Comfort Foam Topper, 16-22 ILD, 3 lb/ft³ Density (Tolerance ±.25lb/ft³) and 21-27 ILD, 3 lb/ft³ Density (Tolerance ±.25lb/ft³)

Topper is approximately 40% natural latex and 60% synthetic latex. Blended latex is best as it creates the most consistent, comfortable, and durable product.[/b]

It does NOT specifically list how thick each layer is. I am assuming the topper stats differ because you can flip from the softer to the firmer side. The sales rep wasn’t sure which side was ‘up’ on the display I tested.  He did call the factory to discuss some of my questions that he couldn’t answer.

Is it normal that ILD is expressed in a range like above? It seems pretty wide. If the mattresses will vary from 16 ILD to 22 ILD and I’ve tested one that was in fact 16 and was shipped one that was actually 22 wouldn’t I notice a difference? The factory manager we called said the range wasn’t significant enough for people to notice a difference.

Hi KMcollies,

Their old mattress had a Talalay core … not a Dunlop core.

The ILD specs are similar to their website here but the density of the firmer Talalay would be higher than the softer Talalay so the information on their site is probably correct (both layers wouldn’t be 3 lb density). My guess is that the top layer is 19 ILD and that the second layer is 24 ILD which would match Latex International’s blended Talalay ILD ratings and the variance is the +/- variance for latex (ILD is never exact). Blended Talalay would be a about a 30/70 blend rather than 40/60 blend but it really wouldn’t make any difference in any practical terms. They told me that the thickness of the latex layers on each side are 3" (this is now confirmed) so this is slightly different from what you mentioned (2 1/2" on each side) but either way the most important thing is that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP because there isn’t any weak link in the mattress.

Blended Talalay ILD’s are normally expressed as a single ILD (see here) but there is a +/- variance for all latex ILD’s so they are showing the range rather than the “target” ILD which is closer to the middle of the range. The ILD is measured in 9 places on the core and then the measurements are averaged and the target ILD that is closest to the average would be the ILD rating for a blended Talalay core. For example … you can see an example here of a blended Talalay core that averages 35 ILD and is rated as a 36 ILD which is the closest rating to the average.

They are right that in practical terms and considering that the average of the ILD measurements will be close to the target ILD that most people wouldn’t notice any difference.

Phoenix

Thanks again. That gives me more confidence. The sales rep really did work hard at getting me help and answers, but I suggested that if they are going to have latex, and if that’s a rising demo, they might want to have a couple reps who ‘specialize’ in that info. :cheer:

I appreciated that he didn’t try to bluster or pretend to know more than he did, and I liked that he followed up with an email with more info that he tracked down from the factory manager.

I’m going to test a few other latex mattresses for comparison from other retailers, then go back.

Off to check the Pittsburgh thread I just noticed.