S&F, Once Bitten- Twice Shy.

I would appreciate some direction as my head is spinning with product info and product changes that seem to rarely improve a good mattress.

A year and half ago we purchased a S&F Queensborough from Sears, Canada which has a memory foam pillow top, queen size, firm. It was great in the store and I ordered it. I live in Yellowknife, Canada so we took advantage of a family holiday to visit a major store to try out the selection as there is next to nothing local except a Sears outlet which qualified us for free shipping to that location.

Anyway- the mattress sleeps hot for me (not a big complaint), the pillow top has developed pockets and a ridge. So I contacted Sears and they have agreed to exchange for what I am assuming is a S&F Cardinal or an Serta Icomfort.

Hi David, we have two mattresses in mind that are quite firm and upper end quality. One is a Stearns and Foster which would cost about $100.00 more and the other is a Serta I comfort which is about $500.00 more. Let me know what you think. Christa

http://www.sears.ca/catalog/queen-firm/12439-4294564863-4294565368#guidedNav

Before I attempt for a refund which I think won’t happen- is there anything in Sears lineup that stands out in your experience that would be acceptable if I’m stuck dealing with what they have in stock?

The bottom line is I’m looking for a good quality firm mattress, spring or latex doesn’t matter to me as long as it has a decent service life and would love to have fully flip-able (is that a word). I wieght in at 195 and wifey is about 155lb.

Really wish I had found the TMU site before purchase- it really opened my eyes to allot of garbage in the industry and particularly the links to Canadian vender’s as well.

Regards

Dave

Hi dfarr67,

Like many of the members that have come here that have been in a similar situation, you are in a somewhat difficult position where you need to exchange a mattress at a store that I would normally suggest avoiding and where there may not be any particularly good quality/value options available to you.

There are some suggestions and ideas in post #2 here about the two main strategies that you can use that can help you make the best of a difficult situation. There is also more in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase or exchange that may be helpful as well.

Unfortunately the Sears comfort exchange is 60 days (365 days in Canada) and you have a warranty exchange rather than a comfort exchange so I don’t think it would be likely that they would give you a refund but it’s always worth a try.

There aren’t any mattresses there that I would choose and they also don’t provide the information that I would need to make any meaningful comments about any of their mattresses.

If I was in your shoes and they can’t provide the information that you would need to make an informed choice about any of their mattresses … I would probably lean in the direction of choosing a firm mattress that had the least amount of “unknown” or lower quality foam (which would have less risk of premature foam softening and breakdown) and then add a high quality softer topper to provide the comfort and pressure relief that you will need. While choosing a suitable topper can be somewhat uncertain because you won’t know for sure whether it will be a good match for you in combination with the mattress you choose until you sleep on it … I would personally rather take this risk and end up with a more durable choice than the risk of choosing another mattress that will soften, break down, or impress much too quickly relative to the price you paid. You can always soften up a mattress that is too firm with a topper but it’s very difficult to “fix” a mattress that is too soft or has developed soft spots or impressions without removing and replacing the foam layers that have softened or are sagging (see post #4 here) and if the visible impressions aren’t deep enough you may not qualify for another warranty exchange even though you may not be able to sleep on the mattress any longer (see post #174 here about mattress warranties).

If you do decide to go in this direction then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience on the mattress as a guideline to choose the type, firmness, and thickness for a topper that would have the best chance of success.

Phoenix

I would like to point out under Sears Canada warranty that if you buy a proper topper to prevent damage, their ‘comfort’ warranty is 1 year. Although as pointed out the products available are not what I would be after now. So after 17 months they have agreed to replace with a different model. I did shop here for the service- but now that I know there are better alternatives, I will keep an eye on this site and the venders listed. One question- are the Canadian vender’s listed as comprehensive as the USA vender list?

Hi dfarr67,

I didn’t realize that the comfort exchange period was longer in Canada than it is in the US. Thanks for correcting the misinformation in my last reply which I’ve also edited. A comfort exchange is certainly an easier process than a warranty exchange.

There are generally less options available in Canada than there are in the US just because of the difference in the population size of both countries but I do the same type of research in both countries.

Post #21 here includes a list of the better online options or possibilities I’m aware of that ship across Canada.

Phoenix