Saatva mattress review and analysis

As Think Twice mentioned neck tension and migraines which were two of my main complaints I felt it was from the extra firm perimeter foam being higher than the interior portion of the mattress and less compressible with the weight of your head. maybe what I’m trying to say is that your body is lower than your head. My wife and I both do not use a pillow unless we are on our side which is not that often. both are typically back sleepers. I would certainly contact them as I’m sure they would appreciate hearing from you. I don’t recall the warranty specifics but you may be able to salvage some of your investment with an exchange or so. maybe get a couple of extra years out of it. I think they have a repair option and I know Ed Brians is a very reasonable man that seems to care about his company.

What’s the refund policy for the Saatva? I’m seeing 30 days here but other sites are saying 45…I could obviously just call but am trying to avoid giving them my info so that I don’t get endless emails or calls haha.

Hi riley28,

Their site has the details of their 45 day refund/return/exchange policy here.

Phoenix

deleted

You can pretty much be sure that your review is NOT on the Saatva website. You write that you received a partial refund. Why were you not able to get a full refund and be rid of their mattress?

Hi timetomoveon,

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t work out for you but thanks for sharing your experiences with Saatva. I’m also curious about the circumstances behind your partial refund. I’m assuming that your initial exchange only incurred the original shipping charge (which is part of their return policy) and went without a hitch. Was the partial refund because it was your second mattress … and how did they calculate the refund amount (their return policy isn’t clear about how they deal with returns for a second mattress)?

In any case there are many good quality options available in a similar budget range (or even lower).

Hopefully you’ve read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices. It also includes links to several lists that include some of the better online options I’m aware of.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

deleted

Hi timetomoveon,

You can click my member name and then click on “private messages” to send me a PM.

I would normally only reply on the forum though (with a link to a forum list that includes the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in your area) because unfortunately I don’t have the time to provide private replies to PM’s or emails and because nobody else that was in the same area or had a similar question could read the questions or replies … unless of course a question isn’t appropriate for public posting.

You could also do a forum search for the closest city to you (see the help tab for more about searching the forum) and you would probably find the closest list to you as well.

Phoenix

deleted

deleted

Hi timetomoveon,

One of the things that I like most about Denver Mattress is that they are completely transparent about the materials inside their mattresses so you can identify any weak links and make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. Best of all … there are no obvious weak links in the quality of the materials or design of your mattress.

Congratulations on your new mattress … I think you made a good quality/value choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

deleted

Hi timetomoveon,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and the Durango firm uses good quality materials in its budget range.

It sounds like you did well this time!

Phoenix

Thank you for this information.

It looks like my next mattress purchase also won’t be a Saatva.

I will definitely ditch my current Saatva (which is so-so) for perhaps a better quality Denver Mattress.

deleted

Hi all,

I’m in the process of looking for a mattress and have been considering Saatva… I’m really on the fence at this point especially after reading a few of these posts. It seemed like a good candidate for me since I am looking for something fairly plush, under $1000 for a full size and most importantly NO chemical emissions. It seems like they tick off on the first two boxes, however I am not so sure about the third – I am highly sensitive to chemicals and the last two beds I have owned have caused me to get almost completely stuffed up about 15 mins into sleeping on the bed.

SO, my question is has anyone acquired any info during their search/purchasing from them, specifically regarding the fire retardants they use… (from mattress tags, documentation etc.) I haven’t been able to find anything on their website – honestly their green initiative: http://www.saatvamattress.com/green-initiative.html means almost nothing to me as those two mattress I mentioned were both certified, one with certi-pur and the other one something similar which I can’t recall at the moment. While digging around, I found this website: http://www.thenontoxicsnooze.com/ which claims to have a full list of chemicals they use, however I have no idea how legit that is…

If anyone here who has slept on a Saatva for any period of time, and is chemical-sensitive like me would love it if they could give me any feedback on this…

Thanks so much!!

Hi ownerofabrokenbed,

I’m guessing you’ve already read this (since you are posting in the same topic) but just in case you haven’t there is more detailed information about Saatva in post #1 here. A forum search on Saatva (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

Unfortunately you won’t find any mattress that meets your criteria for NO chemical emissions because it doesn’t exist in the market. All mattress materials have some VOC’s although not all VOC’s are harmful (fruits and vegetable have VOC’s that aren’t harmful for example).

Post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to have more information about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and green mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress and help you answer “how safe is safe enough for me”. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, and lifestyle choices.

There are a few comments about the Saatva fire barrier in posts #2 and #4 here.

The website you linked has a great deal of misleading content including information such as this …

[quote]To cut costs, however, manufacturers often blend the natural hevea milk with other fillers such as polyurethane, and other petro-chemicals. Unfortunately, a lack of US regulations for mattress labeling in the leaves room for marketing “greenwashing” resulting in terms like “Natural latex” applied to mattresses with no more than 20% latex and 80% filler chemicals (petro-chemicals).

Natural latex is obviously the optimal choice for health reasons but also tends to last much longer than blended and synthetic latex.[/quote]

… which indicates that they are confusing polyurethane with synthetic latex (which are very different materials) and aren’t very familiar with the properties or “safety” of different types and blends of latex. I wouldn’t take the information there as being particularly reliable or accurate.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks so much for the speedy and thorough reply! The post with the organic mattress companies is interesting and looks promising… I will take a look into those guys and maybe give them a call. Otherwise I will probably just go with a Saatva and risk the $100 return shipping fee.

Thanks again for your help!!

Hi ownerofabrokenbed,

As you know from the information in the previous post I linked if either green, natural, or organic materials are important to you then the Saatva probably wouldn’t be the best choice and you have many other good options available to you that would probably be either “greener”, more natural, or that included more organic components (or that only used organic materials and components). While Saatva would generally be “better than average” in terms of quality/value compared to most mainstream options … for most of the members of this site they probably wouldn’t be in the best quality/value range either. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between your “finalists”.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!

I came across your site researching a Saatva mattress. My husband and I are needing to replace our 20+ year old mattress but are having a very difficult time. He likes something very firm due to lower back pain. I need a softer mattress due to pain and pressure points. We need a king mattress as he is over 6 feet. We looked at the Sleep Number and found a lot of negative reviews. We looked at some VERY ($7000.00) expensive mattresses at Bob Mills that you could customize to the firmness you desired but was really hoping to find something more reasonable!! We are in Lubbock, TX zip 79424—are there any stores here that carry the mattresses you recommend considering? Any other brands that can accomodate 2 very different needs?

Thanks!