Saatva mattress review and analysis

Hi itsbillhill,

I removed a word from your post that was a personal attack and deleted your last post which was also a personal attack.

I would caution you again to keep your language more neutral.

You have every reason to ask the questions you are asking but you need to stay on the right side of the forum rules.

Phoenix

Did I miss another Dickish remark thrown my direction from itsBillHill? sorry I missed it!

This thread is easily the most entertaining one in the entire forums. I am so glad I found the right bed for me and didn’t deal with Saatva. As per their customer service reps, Mr. Ed sounds like a true salesman. The number of posts that have been edited after talking to the guy is pretty astounding.

Very entertaining forum. some members seem to think it’s Jerry Springer show!

Like many others posting in this thread, I stumbled onto this gem while researching Saatva. I was dumbfounded by the amount of positive reviews they had, so I went on a search to find ANYTHING negative. I’m so conflicted after reading this thread.

My partner is a 260lb 6 ft wall of muscle that needs a firm mattress. I am a 140lb woman with a terrible swayback that needs a soft mattress, preferably with a pillow top for my arched back. Obviously this makes mattress shopping a pain in the rear. We recently got suckered into a VERY expensive Simmons black series that we’re extremely unhappy with. We have 100 days for a full refund so we’re currently on the hunt for a new mattress. After a visit to sit n sleep, we seem to agree on a firm mattress with a plush pillowtop. The problem is we liked a brand that got terrible reviews for longevity… so we took to the internet and found Saatva.

I was so close to clicking the “buy” button, but now this thread has me second guessing my decision. Does anyone have anything good to say about their saatva mattress? How does it compare to regular brands like simmons and serta?

Hi Nicoleski,

You’ve probably read it already but just in case you haven’t the first post in this topic has an analysis of the Saatva mattresses that may be helpful. In very general terms I would say that for most people it would be a “better than average” quality/value choice compared to most of the mainstream mattresses made by the major manufacturers but it wouldn’t be in the same “quality/value” range as many of the other options that most of the members here would know about as a result of the information on the site.

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here (it has a shorter and a longer version) which includes all the most important information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones including the major brands and the chain stores that usually sell them or any mattress where you can’t find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here).

Two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

Phoenix

Hi Nicoleski,
I just saw this post and I know I’m a bit late. I can tell you from experience that I purchased the “Saatva Luxury Firm” and it was a wiggly marshmallow for us. we also like a firm with some comfort on it. this was not it. for me it felt closer to a plush, now you might like it but your husband would not. we exchanged it for a Saatva Firm and it was a disappointment. pictures of it are posted here on this forum. likely it was defective but I think if it weren’t I would not of liked it. didn’t seem to have that quality feel. In my opinion they lack consistency in their manufacture. hope this helps.

They go above and beyond if you are unsatisfied with the mattress.

Hi incognito,

Have you purchased one of their mattresses?

It would be helpful if you could share more details about your experience with them.

Phoenix

Yes, I purchased their Luxury Firm mattress. Had it for a month. But returned it due to me being sensitive to Polyurethane.

This is my 3rd mattress. 1st one was a Simmons Beautyrest. That one was bad. After 3 days, I thought I was going to die. My brain was foggy, I had horrible headaches and got a weird numbing feeling on the top and right said of my head.

I was forced to return the mattress at my cost. US-Mattress didn’t accept any returns. But my an exception to my for my unusual case. However, I ended up losing 70% of my hard earn cash.

Thinking it was the Toxic Flame Retardant, I purchased an organic cotton mattress with no chemical flame retardant and a supposedly soy base foam mattress from Slumber N Serenity in Anaheim. It was some off-brand Mattress manufactured by Pleasant Mattress Company in Fresno, CA.

After receiving the mattress, I noticed that it was was a 70% polyurethane mattress and was pissed. The assured me it was flame retardant free. So I aired it out for 2 weeks. Slept on it and still got the weird side effects. Felt nauseated, my ears were ringing and top right and back side of head felt like I was under water or something. I had to tap my head a few times to make sure I still had feeling up there.

That mattress right now is setting in the garage in plastic. Since Slumber N Serentiy don’t take returns.

SAATVA MATTRESS

I then came across Saatva. I read their site front and back. Spoke with a rep who told me it was “Chemical free”. They also told me it was a soy or corn based mattress. Nice that they left out the Polyurethane part.

So when I got it, I again, noticed the tag and it was the same 70% Polyurethane blend as the mattress I had sitting in the garage. It didn’t smell as bad, but did have a slight smell to it. I aired it out for 2 weeks. I also noticed that this mattress was manufactured by the same company as my offbrand Organic Cotton mattress. Pleasant Mattress Company / Cannon Sleep Products.

Slept it on for 3 days, and slowly, I started to get the same side effects. Ear would be ringing and would start to feel pressure on the top right and back side of my head.

I had this mattress about a month and I tried all the combination possible. Slept on the floor with the mattress in the room. Slept in the room with the mattress in the hallway, and slept on the mattress when the Hepa filter running.

In the end, I felt 100% better with the mattress out of the room. It took about 4 hours for me to start to feel normal again. I would have my window fans on, HEPA running and had to wash all my bedding.

Comfort wise, It was a little stiffer than what I am use to. The Mattress was pretty cool. Didn’t make me feel hot. If it wasn’t for the weird side effects, I would have kept it.

I asked for a return and they issued a full refund before even picking up the mattress.

I just find it funny that they market the mattress as bio-based, no off gassing, etc etc.

They are CertiPUR-US certified. And if you look at their brochure it clearly says it is unacceptable to make these claims.

Hi incognito,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. It’s good to see that Saatva made the return process so easy.

It’s unusual that someone is that sensitive to polyfoam that is CertiPUR certified (memory foam is the foam material that tends to cause the most issues in terms of sensitivity) and it certainly limits your choices to some degree. Post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to have more information about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable with having in your mattress. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, and lifestyle choices.

If you are back in the market for a new mattress then the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

Phoenix

I currently looking at essentia and omi. Thoughts?

Hi incognito,

You can read some of my thoughts about Essentia and some of the misleading claims they make and some forum discussions with them in this thread and this thread and posts #3 and #4 here). Needless to say I would be very cautious here.

OMI makes some high quality mattresses (including organic mattresses) and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them but they are also in a significantly higher budget range compared to other similar mattresses that use the same or very similar materials and components so I would make sure you make some very careful value comparisons to make sure that there is a compelling and clearly identifiable reason that they were clearly “better” in some way that was important to you that would justify the higher prices compared to the many other similar mattresses that are available to you that are in much lower budget ranges…

Phoenix

I think people are confusing 2 things?

The bottom core is a latex foam. And the top is a memory foam.

Their test and certifications are listed here:

And on this page it lists which chemicals they have compared to other mattresses.

Essentia contains

• Cone essence
  • Diphenyl diisocyanate
  • Emulsion of Hevea brasiliensis milk in water
  • Fats
  • Hevea brasiliensis milk
  • Hydrolyzed corn
  • Phenol-melamine resins
  • Water
  • Waxes styrene-butadiene copolymer

Essential do off gas, but its miniscule when compered to other “CertiPUR” nonsense.

I’m still having a hard time finding a good mattress. I think as long as it doesn’t contain polyurethane foam, I should be good.

My previous mattress was 12+ years old. Not sure why that mattress didn’t give me any side effects? But the previous 3 mattress I’ve purchased have.

Interested in the OMI comparable mattress. Links?

Hi incognito,

The tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and 15 of them make all (or mostly) latex mattresses (including component latex mattresses with zip covers) that use all the different types and blends of latex and have a wide range of designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices.

There may also be some latex mattresses available that are local to you and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better local options or possibilities I’m aware of.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=50053]Hi incognito,

OMI makes some high quality mattresses (including organic mattresses) and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them but they are also in a significantly higher budget range compared to other similar mattresses that use the same or very similar materials and components [/quote]

Hi Phoenix, could you help specify which mattresses use the same materials as OMI/Organicpedic? Or how we can go about learning the Talalay ILD recipes by layer used in various OMI products?

Hi LJGMDAD,

It would depend on which specific OMI mattress you are trying to “match” because they use different types and combinations of latex but if you are able to find out the specs of a specific OMI mattress (see this article) which is unlikely (see my reply to your other question here) then you would be able to check the websites of the online manufacturers/retailers that sell latex mattresses to find out which of them use the same type and blend of latex but you would need a more detailed conversation with each of them to help “talk you through” which of the options they have available would likely come the closest because none of them have the same layer combinations as the Flora Noveau and most of them are also a one sided design so there would be some significant guesswork involved in which of their mattresses would come closest when two designs are so different from each other.

The Flora Noveau uses 100% natural Dunlop that is certified organic so if you are looking for organic latex then the three manufacturers on the list that have it available include …

https://www.foamsweetfoam.com/

If 100% natural Dunlop that isn’t certified organic is also acceptable to you (see post #6 here for more about organic latex) then you would have more choices available because any of the online list that carries 100% natural Dunlop mattresses would be an option but again none of them would have a design that is the same as the Flora Noveau so here too there would be some significant guesswork involved in which of the options they have available would be the closest.

Phoenix

OK, thanks again for your thorough response. To clarify, however, the Flora Nouveau I sampled was 100% Talalay. The store did have what they considered an equivalent OMI mattress in an all-Dunlop version. I don’t know if it had a different name or if the Flora Nouveau is available in both types of latex, but either way Dunlop was not what I preferred. The Flora Nouveau Talalay firmness seemed to provide excellent support while also being more comfortable.

I also noticed you left EZsleep off the list? Any reason for that?

Thanks again!

Hi LJGMDAD,

I switched the last 7 posts to a new topic of their own because they were off topic in the original Saatva thread.

The default for the Flora Noveau is GOLS certified organic Dunlop but they are also available in 100% natural Talalay as well but of course this wouldn’t be certified organic latex (there isn’t any certified organic Talalay).

If you are looking at latex other than certified organic Dunlop then of course you would have many more options available than the 3 I listed in my last reply.

I only listed the three that have certified organic Dunlop. SleepEZ uses 100% natural Dunlop which is basically the same material but it doesn’t have the organic certification (although SleepEZ can order it as a special order).

If you are looking at Talalay latex then you would have many more options on the list to choose from (including SleepEZ of course who has both blended Talalay and 100% natural Talalay available).

Phoenix