Saatva mattress review and analysis

We received the mattress yesterday and slept on it for the first time last night. Our first impressions are very positive. I had no back pain last night! The combination of the innerspring mattress with the latex topper is a great combination, especially the way Oklahoma Mattress makes their innersprings. I would say it is a perfect medium in feel. The latex topper has a nice bamboo cover. We might have to get new sheets with the topper. Also the topper feels very soft when you touch it but seems to be slightly firmer when you lay on it. The 24 ILD is perfect for me. My wife would have liked a 20 but is happy that it is not hard as a rock.

I truly feel that there is no way that you could walk into a local mattress store and come with anything near this quality for the price. Very well made and the customer service is top notch…Definitely no regrets (at least not yet!)…

Hi BigCTM,

Thanks for the “first night report”!

And I definitely agree with your sentiments about the difference in quality and value at local high quality manufacturers (as I think you know) :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I noticed that us-mattress has two Ecosleep mattresses on sale:
Sundance (5" 33 ILD Talalay + 2" Talalay + 2" Talalay + Organic Cotton Cover) $1349
Cassidy (5" 33 ILD Talalay + 2" Talalay + 2" Talalay + Bamboo Cover) $1349

It seems they are latex only, no polyfoam.
No info about their comfort level. I could not find much more about them on ecosleep website.
Might be useful for someone who already tested them.

Hi nimailini,

They both have 2" of 19 ILD talalay over 2" of 24 ILD talalay over the support layer. I believe the base layer is 36 ILD and it doesn’t have any acellaflex (polyfoam) in it. They have some mattresses that do use an acellaflex base where the polyfoam is 33 ILD so they seem to have mixed their specs up. I hope they haven’t done the same with the mattresses but if not these are good value. They are both all latex only and the difference between them is the cover. You can see them on the Ecosleep website here.

Thanks for sharing your discovery :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi, I came across your mattress forum while searching for reviews on Saatva beds and once I read your blog, I decided to register onto the site. I, likewise, would like some advice for buying a quality bed after being very disappointed with the regular methods. My main concerns are, of course, quality and support but also a bed that sleeps cool. That’s why we believe a foam bed is probably not an option and why we were considering a micro coil one like the Saatva. We also prefer a bed constructed of safe materials and that doesn’t have that terrible odor that our current bed had when we bought it 6 yrs ago. We live in central Florida (Ocala) so any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Hi TRod111,

Post #1 here has a step by step guideline and some links to articles and information that will greatly increase your odds of finding a great quality and value mattress (and eliminate most of the worst choices).

The better options that I’m aware of in the Ocala area (or within reasonable driving distance) are listed in post #2 here.

There are many factors involved in the temperature regulation of a mattress including the materials in the mattress (especially the upper layers), the quilting and ticking in the cover, your mattress protector, and your sheets and bedding. All of these combine to play an important role in the microclimate and temperature regulation of the mattress. There is more about this in post #2 here.

Memory foam, and polyfoam that are either CertiPur certified or American made would generally be considered to be “safe” by most people (even though they have an initial smell) but there are also many who prefer to avoid polyfoam and memory foam and synthetic fibers and fabrics in their mattress altogether because they are less natural petrochemical based materials and they believe that natural materials are “safer”. Some of these foams or fibers may also include some unknown fire retardant chemicals which many people also wish to avoid. In these cases … Innersprings, latex foam, and natural or organic fibers and fabrics can make good choices.

Phoenix

We just purchased and have arranged for the return of a saatva matress. I have nothing negative to say about the bed or the customer service which is great. We just never got comfortable on the mattress.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the feedback and sharing your experiences with Saatva.

It’s great to hear that their customer service is good.

In their return policy it mentions that their return policy deducts the original shipping cost and I’d be interested to hear what it cost you to return it and how much they deduct for the original shipping. This may help others decide on the “risk” involved in making a purchase from them that doesn’t end up fitting what they are looking for.

Thanks again.

Phoenix

I’m probably in the same boat as many who are trying to navigate the BS of the mattress industry to find a good quality bed without all the ‘used car’ schmarmyness. Like many, I found Saatva online in some research. I went to their site and was just about ready to purchase one but the practical side of me kicked in as it was just before the holidays and I didn’t want to deal with the possibility of having to return/exchange a bed in the middle of the stress of Christmas. Shortly after I decided not to buy the bed, I received an email from Saatva asking why I didn’t buy. When I answered honestly that I didn’t want to deal with the possibility of having to return/exchange a bed during the holiday season, I was ‘asked’ to pass on Saatva by a Saatva rep who felt I wasn’t their ideal customer:

"We are not right for everyone. Yes, we do not have one single negative review on our product in any city of any state. Our return policy simply assures the customer of our confidence in our quality and in your happiness , hence, again, our fantastic reviews.

If you are very focused on simply testing our mattress and the return policy, we so respectfully ask that you take a pass on us. I say this with more courtesy and respect than you can imagine. We get a miniscule of returns as the Saatva purchaser is already very convinced before they buy.

We really appreciate your interest and truly wish you all good things that your life can offer."

At first, I thought it was just a weird and somewhat flighty response. Then things got weirder when I explained to them that I wasn’t ‘focused’ on trying and returning, simply wanted to wait until I wasn’t dealing with the holidays AND buying a bed:

Email tones and interpretations are so misleading. My apology and it is
my apology in such a genuine way yt an email cannot portray it just as my
intentions are so misinterpreted by you.

I am so sorry. My objective is to make the buying experience followed by
the experience of years of sleeping on a Saatva so wonderful

I have cause you annoyance and concern. I repeat, I am sorry and I also
repeat that as you do take a pass on Saatva, as one man to another,
please focus on my apology coupled with two other things:

1. I understand your comments well.
    2… I truly wish you very well in health and happiness.

In short, this is just a bizarre way to run a business. It is ridiculous in so many ways, I don’t even know where to start. It may be a great bed, it may not, but I’m pretty sure I don’t need to deal with a company like this.

Just want people to have a full and complete picture as to the nature of this company. It seems the only way they can preserve their appearance is by selectively screening out people who may ask more questions than they are willing to address.

Also meant to say thanks for the great information. Customsleepdesigns may be a great option. I’ll definitely look into them.

Thanks again,
John

Hi jdicecco,

That is among the most bizarre email exchanges I have seen in a while!

Thanks for posting it … and I’m looking forward to any more feedback or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

No kidding. I was really stunned. The person was listed as Ed Brians, EVP. I really hope that doesn’t mean Executive Vice President. I was actually so taken back that I thought they must have a rogue employee on their hands, since he emailed me from an aol account. In one reply I copied saatva customer service and he replied saying his was the official response. Just flat out strange. In any event, I appreciate the site and the information. Good stuff.

John

I would NOT RECOMMEND SAATVA

We purchased the Luxury Firm mattress. After sleeping on it for several weeks, we found it very uncomfortable. My arm regularly falls asleep and I wake up having to change positions and with that awful prickly feeling. We were reluctant to go through the hassle of returning it and having to find another mattress and decided to purchase a foam topper to cushion it. We purchased a 4 inch foam topper and spent 2 weeks trying that out. The mattress is still uncomfortable. I then contacted Saatva to return the mattress. We were less than a week past the 30-day return window. They offered no flexibility despite our efforts (purchasing the foam topper) and despite the 30 day window occuring over the holidays (Xmas and New Years).
I would not recommed the mattress or Saatva to anyone.

Phoenix,

I was also ready to purchase a Saatva Mattress until I came across your mattress forum while doing my due diligent. Thank you for sharing this valuable information on this topic. Since there is so much information to consider, I’d appreciate your assistance with narrowing down suitable factory direct options having a better value point. Although Parklane appears to have a good products, their shipping charges are too expensive to zip code 07728.

I will be purchasing a king size. Having herniated discs, I am a back and side sleeper. My wife has a healthy spine, but is a side and stomach slipper. Her side edge support usually softens much quicker my mine. Both of us prefer a bed that sleeps cool.

I’d appreciate any recommendations that you can provide.

Hi Tony,

You’ve probably read this but just in case … the first place I would start is post #1 here and the information it links to. This will give you the basic information you need to make good choices.

Once you are “armed” with some good information … then it’s time to begin testing mattresses and different material combinations and the better options I’m aware of in or around the Freehold Township, NJ area are listed in post #6 here.

A little further away the list for the Monroe Township/Newark, NJ area list here and the list for the Trenton/Philadelphia/Wilmington region here may also be helpful.

Phoenix

hello! :slight_smile:

Well, did what a few others did and searched for reviews of Saatva… odd name, interesting though.

Now, with the posts about their mattresses, maybe it’s better to skip it and try something else.

So many choices, all of them confusing and nothing really makes sense after a while.

I have a spinal condition, so I have weird requirements, but mostly need a mattress that’s supportive and firm, without being hard. Many seem to fit the bill, but they range in price from cheap to ridiculous!

So, seems like Phoenix is the one person in the world to have access to the best answers:)

I’m in Fairfax, va , but moving to manassas, but it’s all the same geographic region west of Wash DC. So, suggestions on places and ideas for what i’d need would be awesome. We’re moving soon, so need to move on this since sleeping on the floor would suck…:slight_smile: But wasting money on a crappy bed might suck more! :slight_smile:

Thanks
Roc

Hi rocdred,

I have recently talked with both the manufacturer and retailer of the Saatva and there will be a bit more information added to the comments over the next few days. They are certainly better quality/value than most mainstream mattresses but some of the comparisons on the site are somewhat misleading and not apples to apples comparisons.

The first place to start your research is post #1 here which will give you all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices. It will also help you think about mattresses and mattress shopping in very different ways and give you meaningful ways to make quality and value comparisons instead of making a “blind” purchase.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the general Fairfax/DC area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix.

I have done a fair amount of research already, and one of the hardest things about the Saatva beds are the unbelievable # of positive reviews. Perhaps they’re fake but some other mattress info sites give them a glowing review.

While it’s great you’ve gotten them to adjust their claims, it may not necessarily discount buying their mattresses.

65 positive reviews on this site: What's the Best Mattress | Saatva User Reviews

and the BBB gives them a A- with ZERO complaints lodged… Ironically, Sleep Number gets an A+ which floors me based on complaints.com’s billion issues with them.

They are absolutely guaranteeing If I don’t like their mattress I can return it for the original $89 delivery fee.

for $1300 for what ‘seems’ to be a decent option, maybe i’ll give them a shot. only a few here have said they’ve had problems, it would be nice if others with positive experiences posted them …!

have a good one
Roc

Hi rocdred,

Adjusting their claims (such as here) would be a step in the right direction and I agree that for some people they may be better quality/value than an alternative they may otherwise choose from the many mainstream mattresses available. The frame of reference on this site though is a little different from most of the rest of the industry or internet when every mattress is being compared in more meaningful ways with some of the best in the industry rather than against most mainstream mattresses which are already poor quality/value…

If I was looking at this style of mattress (innerspring support system and an innerspring or microcoil comfort layer with some polyfoam) then I would look at local manufacturers or other local sources for a similar mattress or mattresses in a similar budget range and then decide which one best met my criteria based on a meaningful comparisons and my personal value equation. If it was clearly the best value for you based on your individual criteria then of course it would be the one you purchase.

As you can see in post #13 here … I pay little to no attention to mattress reviews because nobody else can know whether a mattress is suitable for you and perhaps less than 1% of people have the knowledge to know the quality of what they purchased although reviews about the knowledge or service of a business are certainly meaningful.

I have seen ebay mattresses for example with 10,000 plus reviews that are 99% positive but have little meaning because they are just a way that people congratulate themselves and justify the “deal” they think they received and less than 1% or them even realize the quality or real value of what they purchased … or what they could have purchased instead.

This certainly reduces the risk of an online purchase as far as PPP. The problem is that without making meaningful comparisons with other mattresses that are similar in design or in a similar price range you have no way to make any meaningful comparisons in terms of quality, durability, or value. Comfort/pressure relief is what you feel when you first lie on a mattress, support/alignment is what you feel when you wake up in the morning and these are what the comfort guarantee covers. Durability though is what you feel in a year or two down the road (and sometimes sooner). A comfort exchange has value but only for a limited time and beyond that you are reliant on a warranty and a warranty doesn’t cover the loss of comfort and support that happens when materials soften or break down unless there is a corresponding impression more than the warranty exclusion which is most often not the case. Comfort support and durability are all important parts of a mattress purchase along of course with all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of each person’s personal value equation.

Phoenix

hello…!

it’s clear that you have a much different method of reviewing mattresses than myself, or perhaps anyone. Since you seem to know the most intimate details of how mattresses are built, the materials used and the ways they assemble them, you probably would be the scariest customer in the world since you’d clearly know 100x more than the smartest salesman in any store short of it being an owner of a factory.

That being said, my requirements simply boil down to finding a decent bed at a decent price. I’ve had the SF bed that lasted a long time and was comfortable, and other beds that sucked.

And now, moving into Life V2.0, I don’t have the money or time to spend looking for that perfect bed. And since laying on a bed in a showroom for a minute or 2 is pointless, it all boils down to what we read, on reviews from others and other sites like yours.

The end result for me at this point is the best bed for the buck. And since I can’t find the stream of ‘worst POS ever’ that you see with MANY beds from many companies, especially places like Sleep # which is god awful, to the most of the biggest brands.

Not knowing much about Saatva makes it easier to not instantly hate them, since there’s not enough info to hate them… And the reviews of people who posted they like the mattress are almost too good to be true, so even the skeptic in me that says, ok, they have staff posting fake reviews, the bottom line is If their mattresses were crap, people WOULD write it. There are usually far more complainers than praisers, and people probably complain at a 10-100x ratio to praise.

I guess it’s time for me to find out myself, and I found someone selling a Queen Saatva bed for 800… it’s a $500+ discount which seems to make my experiment worth it. Even the Saatva CSR said for that price and age (only a few months old) and palatable reasons for selling (he bought a king, same brand, the Queen was too small) makes it worth taking a shot.

I’ll come back and let you know my opinions (for whatever they’re worth) in a few weeks after we’ve slept on it and see how we like it, especially me with my back issues.

I don’t know how you find the time to do what you do, but having someone who knows about an industry as you do and shows such amazing passion about it on this site is a tribute to you!

Thanks!
Roc