Saatva mattress review and analysis

You’re wrong about that Wally. I am having an issue right now with a Saatva mattress I bought over a year and a half ago. There’s nothing wrong with it, except that It never did seem firm enough for us and I kept putting it off, but I finally sent them an email about it. I wasn’t expecting any action really because we’ve had it for such a long time, but I got a phone call right away and they were very accommodating.

I have never had a better customer service experience - and I have not posted publicly anywhere.

Not true in my case. As I replied to Wally along the same lines, I am having an issue right now with a Saatva mattress I bought over a year and a half ago. There’s nothing wrong with it, except that It never did seem firm enough for us and I kept putting it off, but I finally sent them an email about it. I wasn’t expecting any action really because we’ve had it for such a long time, but I got a phone call right away and they were very accommodating.

Are you going to share what they did for you or is it up to us to imagine?

Hi dw,

It would probably help if you included some quotes from the post you are replying to so that we can see the comments you are replying to.

I also agree that it would be helpful if you included some specifics about what they did for you.

I also deleted one of your posts since it was basically a duplicate of your post right before it.

Phoenix

We have a Saatva mattress, have had it for three years and I have never liked it from day one. We ordered plush/soft and it is not any kind of plush, it’s firm, and we have had to have toppers on it from the beginning. I should have returned it but I didn’t actually want to admit how much I disliked it because we had already had another bed that didn’t work out a few years before that. At first we had a memory foam topper on it and now there’s a latex topper on it from Sleep Like a Bear, so it’s tolerable. I want to buy a mattress to replace it from Cozypure but I don’t live near there to try it out so I am hesitant to spend that much money sight unseen.

Anyway, bottom line, Saatva is not for me and I wish we had never ordered it. Live and learn.

Hi terrieb,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about your Saatva mattress.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the options you have available after a purchase to either fine tune a mattress or exchange or return it can be one of the most important parts of the “value” of a purchase. There are so many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in choosing a suitable mattress that are unique to each person that the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your personal preferences) will be based on your own personal experience so it’s unfortunate that you didn’t take advantage of their return policy so you could start over again to choose a mattress that was a more suitable “match” for your specific needs and preferences.

As you know CozyPure is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

There is more about the different ways to choose the most suitable mattress (locally and online) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved of making a choice that isn’t as suitable for you as you hoped for in post #2 here.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include CozyPure) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

It good to hear that at least your topper has helped to some degree.

Phoenix

Oh yes I agree, we should have taken advantage of the return policy but my husband actually liked it because he likes a firmer mattress so I decided to just deal with it. It has not been horrible, just not anything at all special and not worth the $1900 it ended up being with shipping, etc. I expected a lot better mattress with all their hype.

I went to Fox Mattress with a friend who was bed shopping recently and really liked some of their beds so may end up buying one from them soon. What usually happens when we try mattresses in the store is we buy one and it ends up being nothing like it was in the show room (not broken in), but I did try a couple of mattresses they had just put out and really liked them so I have high hopes! :slight_smile:

Hi terrieb,

As you probably know Fox Mattress is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them (and Rick the owner) and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They would certainly be well worth a visit for anyone that is looking for a new mattress that is within reasonable driving distance.

In most cases and for "most people … careful testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial and spending 15 - 20 minutes on a mattress can come close enough to predicting your actual sleeping experience that only minor fine tuning would be necessary if any is necessary at all (see post #4 here). Of course this would be true for “most people” but not for “all people”. There is always some additional risk with an online choice where you haven’t tested the mattress in person or the mattress is different from a specific design that you have tested locally but return and exchange options can lower the risk of online choices. There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the most suitable “match” for your specific needs and preferences and how to identify and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them in post #2 here.

Phoenix

I read this forum before I purchased my Saatva about a year and a half ago. . I wanted to wait a while before I posted about my experience with the company and how the mattress held up. I would give the mattress a 6 out of 10 rating. I purchased the king size firm mattress and although it was comfortable at first, the indentations that occur over time can make sleeping uncomfortable. I also spent a good amount of money on a king size matelassé summer bedspread, dust ruffle, shams, pillows etc… only to have the indentations make the mattress look cheap as you can see them with the bedspread on the bed. I turn the mattress (head and feet) regularly but that just makes the indentations go from edge to edge. Also, I did purchase the most poplar model at first and the company did return it at no charge. as I had an indentation problem with that mattress as well. I would have kept the first mattress if I had any idea that the second would do that same thing. I previously owned a Tempur-Pedic before this mattress and although very comfortable at first, it also gets permanent indentations. I will consider a different mattress brand for my next purchase… . .

I am so thankful for this forum. Would you please be able to send me in the right direction for a mattress in the upstate NY, Albany area? Zip is 12414. ANY information you provide would be much appreciated. Like many members I was - this close to buying a Saatva…and based on the honesty of this forum alone, decided not to. I appreciate your time in responding and look forward to your response. Thanks!

Hi K2theG,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Albany/Schenectady area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #4 here.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way that I can help with.

Phoenix

[quote=“jdicecco” post=34984]
My opinion based on my training and knowledge of human behavior: .[/quote]

And that is you are an FBI profiler or just read a couple comic books on it?

Really, this is ridiculous. As far as what it looks like, well it looks like that there are a couple paid shrills for another mattress company wearing barbed wire thongs that are rubbing them raw. At least that is what it looks like as long as we are talking about what things look like,

I came to read on Saatva and couple other mattresses. While this thread is was interesting it was not very substantive other than to look at the antics that are allowed to go on around here.

I spent quite a bit of time reading the reviews of many of the “members” from here and elsewhere and guess what. Same damn thing, poor delivery, same mistakes with the mattress and it did not fit their sleeping style and good luck getting a return. Yet, many other sites recommend Saatva and Phoenix’s review is that they are better than average, but he thinks others might be better. The issue seems to be Saatva has great reviews that ticks the minions off, therefore they “must” be bad. Boy, that is a leap in logic for sure.

No I do not work for Saatva, have not bought one, but the blatant stupidity and snarkiness of the suspected paid anti-Saatva shrills is huge turnoff for any credibility here when it does not seem to match what is found elsewhere.

take it for what it looks like.

“…the blatant stupidity and snarkiness”

Says the blatantly stupid and snarky. Brilliant! Do more!

Hi BountyHunter,

You can read my replies to your similar but more extensive comments about this site and Saatva in the topic you started here … even though it doesn’t appear you are reading them or are interested in learning more about how to assess the quality/value of a mattress purchase.

Phoenix

1 Like

Hi Phoenix (and anyone else who is still active in this thread),

I came upon this thread looking for some actual advice/reviews of the Saatva mattress. I’ve read through most of posts here and have a few questions.

From your review, it seems like the Saatva is actually a pretty good value mattress-it has quality construction almost all around. It seems like it would be decently durable too. The only real detractor of the mattress is actually the reviews, or rather how they get people to take down negative ones. My questions is, if they make a quality mattress, but some people have a poor experience with it and Saatva does some shady PR magic, does that make their product bad?

If anyone has had the Saatva for a while, do any of you actually love your mattress? How’s the durability? It’s just interesting to see glowing reviews everywhere on the internet that are too good to be true and then very reserved reviews here on the Underground.

Phoenix, if I want to look for some local mattress companies, can you give some suggestions? I’m in the San Diego area (92130)-anything within 100 miles or so is probably okay. I found this list of certified brands:Our Manufacturer Memberships :: The Mattress Underground, is that the list I should be looking at or are there more? My budget is going to be around 1000 (less is fine). I’d prefer innerspring, on the firmer side, and something that will last over time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi vrcs,

You can see some additional comments about the type and quality of the materials in the Saatva mattress (along with many of the other simplified choice mattresses) in post #2 here in the simplified mattress topic (and post #1 would be well worth reading as well). While they may be a “better than average” choice compared to many of the major brand mattresses (that typically use lower quality and less durable materials) … they also use more lower density or less durable polyfoam and fiber materials in the quilting layers than I would generally suggest which could be a potential weak link in their mattress so I would be cautious because of the potential durability issues over time. For most of the members here that are aware of many other mattresses that use better quality and more durable materials they probably wouldn’t be the best “quality/value” choice.

Their PR and marketing is certainly exaggerated but this has nothing to do with the quality or value of their mattress.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While I do think highly of the members here and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry … they are certainly not the only source of good quality/value mattresses across the country either locally or online.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the San Diego area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Being a Saatva owner for a few years now, I think their mattress is an okay value for the money.

Nothing extraordinary, to the point that I would probably try someone else next time.

The turn off, for most of us, is their marketing machine. They urge their customers to write positive reviews immediately upon receiving their mattress. For the most part, nobody is going to have a problem with a mattress in the first 30 days. So, with urgency of writing reviews that the company pushes, of course they are going to get positive feedback.

However, the reviews look highly suspicious. Most of us have little doubt in our minds that Saatva is writing reviews themselves. A company can generally get away with devious practices like these but when doing it, they shouldn’t write things like “When I have company over they won’t sleep in any other bedroom except the one that has the Saatva mattress on it.” Not a direct quote, but very similar to something that got posted.

There are also Saatva review websites set up that look blatantly like something that company set up rather than an actual reviewer. Mind you, it’s been a few years since I checked to see if these sites still exist, but I found a couple when I was doing my initial research,

As an owner who still has a Saatva, I can’t say it’s a bad mattress. It’s actually okay. I remember having problems with their delivery company. There were many other complaints on review sites about the incompetence of the delivery service they use. The company did make up for the problems I had, so I have to give them kudos for that. However, the owner of the company did argue back with me that “We are the best reviewed mattress company on the Internet” (a direct quote), and that is what concerns me. They put too much emphasis on their Internet reviews in building their company. Those Internet reviews are highly, highly suspicious.

Hello!! I know your post is old but did you ever find a mattress you love?? I too have a sway back with lower back and hip pain. I have wider hips too. I would definitely be considered “bottom heavy” lol. Although, I’m 5’5 135 lbs. My weight is definitely in my him and booty area. Ha! Anyhow, would love to hear of you found something!! Thanks!

If you are asking me… we ended up buying a PURPLE mattress. We upgraded the mattress last yr & bought the 4" deluxe version or whatever it is called… we had the 3"!topper version which we should have reordered. The 4" in like trying to get into a bed of clouds, it is poofy with little support and too much fluff.

Hope this helps

I am finally seeing this message. I have yet to buy a replacement mattress. Still sleeping on my second Saatva and it continues to give me problems. I had to flip it over to the firmer side (which is not good for a side sleeper) since the side I had been sleeping on was giving me back pain.

The most interesting thing you might want to know is that Saatva does monitor this forum for reviews. They saw my negative opinion on the mattress I currently own and they removed my account from their website. Found this out when I went back there to investigate exactly when I bought the mattress so I could make a better determination on how many years I have been getting out of the purchase.

When I found out they actually deleted my account, I posted a complaint on TrustPilot. Saatva immediately responded saying it is not their policy to delete accounts due to bad reviews. However, what they didn’t do was offer to help me recover it. THAT was telling. I have the account information in my password software and I can’t even use the “forgot password” option on their store because it doesn’t recognize my email address. So, the company ls lying and they did purposely remove my account once they read my bad review here.

Suffice to say, my next mattress won’t be a Saatva. I am thinking of going with the Purple mattress next time out.