Saatva Plush Soft seems very firm.

Of course like so many have said on here, I found this site after my Saatva purchase. I am hoping to get a quick opinion about my situation.

We had a big Euro pillowtop mattress that was about 9 years old. The pillowtop of course had extreme indentations in it and there was no support at all. We decided on the Plus Soft version of the Saatva mattress. Here is the issue, the support is obviously much better but the bed itself feels extremely “hard”. .Saatva tells me that the foams need time to “break-in” and maybe a couple weeks the best will be much softer. Does this make sense?

I have done a bunch of reading here and I would be down to checkout a true Latex mattress, but doesn’t seems like there is really any options to test them out in Las Vegas. I am intrigued by Latex and the wife is worried because she hates that sink-in feeling. I guess long time ago she tried a Temperpedic and hated it.

We LOVED the euro pillowtop feel for years but the last few years it has been pretty bad. I would like to replicate that feeling and have a mattress that lasts a little longer. Any suggestions?

Hi nitz369,

Yes … there is an initial break in period any new mattress where the foams will lose any of their “false firmness”, any fiber materials will compress and settle to some degree, and the cover will lose any of its initial stiffness. You will also go through an adjustment period over the course of the first few weeks as well as your body gets used to the feel of a new mattress that is different from what it’s used to. While it may not be enough to turn a mattress that feels firm to you into a mattress that feels soft … the first few weeks that you sleep on a mattress can certainly make a difference in how it feels to you. There is more about the initial break in and adjustment period in post #3 here and in post #2 here.

If you are using a thicker mattress pad instead of a thinner mattress protector then in some cases it can also reduce the ability of your mattress to contour to the shape of your body as well and can make it feel firmer … even if the mattress pad itself feels softer.

I would also keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that is firm for one can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here). In other words you will always need to test a mattress or sleep on it in person for you to assess how firm or soft it feels to you regardless of whether it feels firm or soft to someone else or how anyone else may “rate” it.

The good news is that you had the foresight to choose an online mattress with a good return policy that you can test in your bedroom instead of a showroom so if once your mattress has had a chance to break in and you have had a reasonable chance to adjust to it if for any reason you aren’t happy with it then you can return it for a minimal return cost (they only charge the cost of the initial shipping for a return/refund).

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Las Vegas area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

I would also keep in mind that latex and memory foam are completely different materials that have a very different “feel” so I certainly wouldn’t use her experience on a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress as an indication of what latex will feel like. There is more about the differences between them in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Going to try to call Ergo Mattress tomorrow I think. The RS Mattress doesn’t seem to exist here anymore. Ergomattress doesn’t have an address so I hope its not one of those by appointment only places that will try to sell me a $3000 mattress.

I guess Saatva will send a complimentary topper if I call them. I haven’t called them yet so I do not know what the material is. Does it make sense to buy a new mattress and need a topper to make it work anyhow? I usually think of toppers as a way to deal with a problem mattress…

Hi nitz369,

Thanks for the heads up that R & S mattress doesn’t have a store in Las Vegas any longer. I’ve removed them from the list.

Ergo Bedroom has also been sold to Las Vegas Luxury Beds which only sells VI Spring, Carpe Diem, Tempurpedic, and Savvy Rest but the Savvy Rest is a component latex mattress so it would give you the chance to test different combinations of latex layers.

If a mattress/topper combination is a better match for you in terms of PPP than a mattress by itself then I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t make sense. The softer upper layers of a mattress or a sleeping system will also tend to soften and break down before the deeper layers so a topper has the advantage that you can just replace the topper without having to replace the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the deeper layers in the mattress underneath it or if your needs and preferences change down the road.

It may be worth trying the topper to see how well the combination works for you as long as you still have the option to return everything for a refund if it doesn’t work out as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix