saatva quality

Looking into buying the Saatva King Mattress. Does anyone have any thoughts on the quality of their products? Also they say that the mattress works best with their foundation but we have a traditional box spring slat bed with the headboard and footboard that I don’t really want to get rid of but I know beds have transitioned into these type of beds. The platform costs about $300.00 and replacing the two box springs will be about the same. Advice…thanks.

Hi coffeesnob,

You can see some comments about Saatva in post #2 here and the posts and topics it links to.

I’m not sure you are clear about the difference between a box spring and a foundation. A box spring has springs inside it that flex under the mattress and there are very few one sided mattresses today that use them as a support system and in many cases they will invalidate a mattress warranty. Most mattresses in the industry today need a steel or wooden bedframe with a foundation that has minimal to no flex (vs a box spring that flexes) or a platform bed which also has little to no flex under the mattress. There are many in the industry that mix up the terminology between box springs and foundations even though they are very different products.

If you have a foundation (vs a box spring) then the manufacturer of a mattress will generally be the most reliable source of guidance about whether it would be suitable for the mattress you purchase (different manufacturers can have different warranty requirements for a support system under their mattresses) but if your foundation is suitable for your mattress and is still in relatively new condition and the support surface is still perfectly flat with no sagging and it’s structurally able to support your mattress and the people sleeping on it then it would probably be OK.

Phoenix

The problem I see with the foundation beds are that it will sit 4 to 5 inches lower than what my current bed does…

Hi coffeesnob,

I’m not sure what you mean by a “foundation bed” but I’m guessing that you mean a platform bed with a solid or slatted support surface that doesn’t require a separate foundation.

If this is the case then they come in a range of different heights but if the one you are looking at is 4" - 5" lower than you would prefer than you can always add a low profile foundation to the bed which would give you the additional height.

Most steel bedframes are about 7" - 7.5" and in combination with a 8" - 9" standard foundation they would give you a support surface under the mattress that was about 15" - 16.5" high and many platform beds are in the same height range.

Outside of the height of your support system … one of the biggest variables in the height of your sleeping surface would be the thickness of your mattress.

Phoenix