Samples of Latex from Savvy Rest

HI all. I just got my samples of latex from SavvyRest in 3 firmnesses and wow they are all so soft! I am so confused what to order as I am 120lbs and I was recommended a firm, medium/soft for 3 layer mattress and after feeling the samples
i am sure, its going to be way too soft for me. Or maybe when they are all on top of each other with a cover, they will naturally feel firmer? Does Sleep EZ talalay latex firmness differ from Savvy Rest? its very confusing. Or are they all pretty similar and only there’s difference in firmness b/w talalay and dunlop. I am thinking for Sleep EZ

• from the bottom - xfirm, xfirm and medium or firm talalay set up. I really need support for my back and neck and cant stand soft mattresses where you sink in. any opinion appreciated. Does anyone have this similar set up in talalay and their impressions of the bed?

Hi Senkova,

The “hand feel” of a foam or how it feels when you squeeze it or press down on it with your hands has little to no connection with how it will feel when you lie on it because the weight distribution and your perceptions of each will be completely different. This is the same reason that sitting on a mattress or pressing down on it with your hands in a showroom will have little bearing on how the mattress will feel when you sleep on it (and the reason why you can only know how a mattress may feel to you if you lay on it for long enough to completely relax … usually a minimum of 15 minutes or more).

Samples are good for testing the “feel” or texture of a material or for finding out if you have an allergy but they can’t tell you how a mattress will feel when you lie on it. Only testing it in person can really give you a sense of how firm or soft certain ILD’s will feel for you when you lie on them in your normal sleeping positions.

For people who are lighter weight then a softer latex will feel firmer (again when you lie on it) than the same latex will feel for someone who is heavier. The thickness of the softer upper layers will also make a difference in how it feels because thinner layers on top will allow more of the firmness of the layers below them to “come through”. Generally side sleepers will need a thicker softer layer than back sleepers or stomach sleepers.

People who are tall and slim (less weight and less curvy) can tend to be more on one side or the other of average with some preferring and needing softer than average comfort layers (so that their lighter weights can sink in enough for good pressure relief) or firmer than average layers (because they have a weight, body shape, or sleeping style that is less prone to pressure issues which come from the restriction of circulation) and prefer more freedom of movement when they “sprawl” on a mattress (which tall thin people often do).

Personal testing of mattresses in local stores can tell you much more about which “side” you are than feeling a sample without lying on it.

Support comes primarily from the deeper firmer support layers while pressure relief comes primarily from the softer upper layers. Every mattress will need some combination of both and the “balance” between the two in terms of the thickness and softness of the layers and how they interact with you is the “key” to a mattress that will work best for you. Each of us can be very different in our needs and preferences and what we call soft and firm because there are so many objective and subjective variables involved … even if we share a similar body type and sleeping style with someone else.

Phoenix