sand filled

[color=#ff8800]Seeking materials has brought me to a conclusion. The best filler for my health and comfort is silica (sand). Just one problem… of all the manufacturers of sand filled mattresses, I"ve found, none actually use sand as a filler agent. More to the point, they use beads made from a variety of polymers and refer to the material as sand.

What to do? Any ideas are welcome. Who makes custom mattresses? [/color]

Hi Michjjc,

I don’t know of any manufacturers that make mattresses made of sand (and I’m not so sure that many people would buy them if there were) but a buckwheat hull mattress may be somewhat similar. If you are also considering mattresses that are made of more traditional materials then the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities for retailers or manufacturers I’m aware of in your area (some of the manufacturers may make custom mattresses).

If you are also considering online choices then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include different types and categories of mattresses with different designs, options, firmness levels, prices, and return/exchange policies that may also be worth considering and some of them also make custom mattresses as well.

Phoenix

zip code 48336…

I will refer back to the tutorial again.

Hi Michjjc,

The better options or possibilities i’m aware of in and around the Ann Arbor/Detroit, MI area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thankyou very much. my 25 year search may soon end thanks to your guidence.

My 25 year search continues. The information provided in the earlier post is for commonly known retail outlets. I’m seeking the uncommon and manufacturers. Though your tutorial was thorough it wasn’t anything I hadn’t already considered on my own. I know what works for me but now I need help getting it. I need a sand filled mattress.

Hi Michjjc,

I guess if you’re posts are serious and you really are looking for a mattress filled with sand, outside of raiding sand boxes (which the kids won’t like at all) or beaches (which is probably illegal) … I imagine you’ll need to buy the sand and pour it into some kind of sack or bladder and voila … a sand mattress :).

You could even go all the way and build a sand box in your bedroom and then fill it with sand and either sleep directly on the sand or use some kind of mat on top to sleep on like they do in some parts of Indonesia.

Phoenix

There are also sand-filled matts used for cows and it’s possible that those companies could produce a specially sized item.

Any progress?

No success as of yet. Perhaps if someone knew the names and contact numbers of manufacturing companies and their representatives they could post them. Then folks seeking custom work could get assisted more affectively.

Hi Michjjc,

The phone numbers and other contact information for mattress manufacturers are almost always listed on their websites and are easily available.

Phoenix

As there is virtually no demand for a product like this (sand filled mattress), I’d make my own. Get a waterbed platform and reinforce it. Get a waterbed bladder (thick mil and free flow) and place it in the waterbed platform bed. Slice it in the middle from head to toe. Fill it with play sand from any hardware store. Let it air out to make sure it’s dry. Seal the seam with Gorilla Tape. Done. Make sure flooring in home can handle the weight of the product.

Hi Michjjc,

I don’t know if you are still looking for a sand filled mattress but OYEB has just posted some information about a new startup company that is making them in the other topic about sand filled mattresses here that may be of interest to you…

Phoenix

This instructable may be what you were looking for! This is our version of a “sand mattress”. Our hemp hulls (aka hemp sand) is certified organic and 100% biodegradable.

There is a company, The Ultimate Earth Bed, that makes a sand mattress kit (you have to make a sand mattress in place for obvious reasons).

Sand as a mattress filling is tough as it is just too firm for most people to sleep on and it has to be encased in a synthetic waterproof ticking to deal with the moisture issue below the mattress. This ticking would not provide the right stretch to make a sand mattress comfortable. From my experiments sleeping on sand alone, I woke with the circulation cut off on my arms if I happened to roll on my side.

Hemp hulls (aka hemp sand) was our solution. Alone they are softer than actual sand but still, the mattress needs a forgiving base layer. The Ultimate Earth bed chose a topper layer of latex or sheepskin, but we felt this took away from the feeling of actually sleeping directly on the sand, which is awesome by the way, like taking a vacation to a sandy beach every night. I have never slept so deeply.

Hey OYEB,

Welcome back to the TMU forum, its been awhile since we’ve heard from you :slight_smile: .

[quote]This instructable may be what you were looking for! This is our version of a “sand mattress”. Our hemp hulls (aka hemp sand) is certified organic and 100% biodegradable.

There is a company, The Ultimate Earth Bed, that makes a sand mattress kit (you have to make a sand mattress in place for obvious reasons)…Sand as a mattress filling is tough as it is just too firm for most people to sleep on and it has to be encased in a synthetic waterproof ticking to deal with the moisture issue below the mattress. This ticking would not provide the right stretch to make a sand mattress comfortable. From my experiments sleeping on sand alone, I woke with the circulation cut off on my arms if I happened to roll on my side.
[/quote]

Thanks for the update, OYEB. This may be useful to some consumers looking for “out of the box” solutions for their layering projects. Also worth mentioning istrusted member DIY Natural Bedding offering millet hulls, another alternative. While I do not personally have experience using hemp vs. millet vs. sand, anyone who is looking at sand solutions may be interested in this as well.

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks and hi Sensei,
DIY Natural Bedding makes amazing weighted blankets with their millet hull fillings, but I don’t know if they would recommend them for laying one’s body weight on top of. Millet hulls are more delicate (my personal favorite for pillows). If anyone needs a case made to hold their hemp sand mattress fillings, I highly recommend DIY Natural Bedding for the job!