Savvy Rest Serenity

For reference, I’m talking about this: Serenity | Savvy Rest

I’m planning on buying 2 Twin-XL mattresses to use with adjustable frames to put together a king sized bed.

Savvy Rest Serenity is on my shortlist, but I’m still unsure about whether the Pros outweigh the Cons or vice-versa.

My partner sleeps very well on a wide variety of mattresses, which leaves me as the only sleeper who needs to carefully calibrate a new mattress to match my needs.

Pros:

• Layered, which means that 2 twin mattresses would have enough variety of layers in them for me to put together a new combination as needed. I see this as valuable in the first month when I could make small tweaks easily to get the fit right. I also think that it would be a good flexibility to have a few years down the line when my body might need a slightly different mattress. Essentially, I see layering as an advantage in that it might help ensure that I have the right mattress now

Cons:

• More expensive. I’m looking at all Talalay Savvy Rest, which is about 2400 USD per unit. Comparable Savvy Rest mattresses (which are my next choice) cost almost 1000 USD less per unit. This translates to a premium of 1500-2000 dollars on the full set if I buy Savvy Rest
  • I’m unclear as to whether the layers might shift and therefore cause discomfort, or wear & tear
  • the “natural” premium: “Natural” is not a value for which I’d pay a lot extra. I’m not sure whether there are equivalent mattresses that aren’t as natural, and don’t cost as much either…
  • Lack of history - the company seems to have been founded in the mid-2000’s. Will it be around for as long as they warrantee their product?

The combination of layers that seems to work well for me is Firm (top), Medium (middle), Soft (bottom). I’m wondering whether Soft being at the bottom is even structurally a sound idea…

I would appreciate advice/comments on this.

-DQ

Hi quixote,

This would depend on which mattresses are included in your lists of finalists.

If your final list is between the Dunlop models and their 100% natural Talalay models then the choice would depend on any difference in how well each mattress matched your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and on whether you preferred the “feel” of Talalay vs Dunlop and whether any difference was worth the difference in cost to you. You can read a little more about the different types of latex (including organic Dunlop) in post #6 here. Both of these are high quality materials and would have little difference in terms of durability.

I think you are clear about the benefits of a layered latex mattress and some of the benefits of this approach vs a “finished mattress”.

The other benefit is that the top layers of a mattress will tend to soften and break down faster than the deeper layers so this design also allows you to just replace a single layer instead of the entire mattress if that becomes necessary.

You can read more about layers shifting in post #2 here.

Post #1 here which includes the basic guidelines I suggest when you are mattress shopping also includes a link to some of the online members here that also offer a range of component latex mattresses with a similar or even the same design (three 3" layers with a wool quilted cover) that offer a larger choice of which type of latex you prefer which in some cases includes blended Talalay which is also a very high quality material but lower cost. I would encourage you to make some good “value comparisons” so that you are comfortable with the higher prices that may be involved with a purchase from Savvy Rest.

There may also be some other options available locally depending on where you live and if you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of any options I’m aware of that are close to you.

This is reversed from the more usual order and there are very few people who would prefer this (athough each person can have very different preferences). Are you sure the layers weren’t the other way around (most people would be quite uncomfortable with firm latex on top). I would tend to avoid soft latex on the bottom because it may increase the risk of alignment issues and it may be worth considering using medium or firmer which is a more usual design and because the deepest layer of the mattress has the least effect on how it “feels” for most people so there is little reason to use soft on the bottom.

IMO … Savvy Rest itself is a reliable company that has been in business for along time and has good quality products that are certainly better “value” than many mainstream mattresses that are sold in the mainstream industry … they are just in a more premium price range compared to other similar mattresses for those who are aware of other lower cost alternatives for similar component designs.

A forum search on Savvy Rest (you can just click this) will also bring up many more posts you can scan through with more comments and feedback about them.

Phoenix

This is a good one. I hadn’t quite thought about it…

Again, thanks - this is instructive.

I’m in the Seattle area - would appreciate pointers to other stores with similar layered mattresses.

Yup, very sure that I have the order right. I felt odd about it and even had a conversation at the store…

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Hi quixote,

I don’t know all the options that all the stores offer so it may be worth calling some of the retailers there to see if they have anything similar. Foam Rubber City, Seattle Natural Mattress, Bedrooms and More, and The Sleep Store USA may be worth a call in particular.

Phoenix