Savvy Rest Sticker Shock

I started my mattress search here (thanks to dumb luck or google or something) and ended up in my first mattress store today. It was a Savvy Rest store. Armed with little info besides wanting the least chemically treated, longest lasting mattress that would ease my back pain I tested several combinations of Talalay and Dunlop mattresses. I didn’t know which was more expensive etc. had I purchased my first choice mattress I would have walked out with a king sized all talalay mattress which was firm at the bottom, medium in the middle, and soft on top. I also would be eating ramen for the next 20 years at $4000 before taxes, a bed frame, bedding, delivery, etc. What i think I have learned since then is that there are 2 Talalay manufacturers. Who makes savvy Rest and do they manufacture for any less expensive brands? I see the ILDs all over this forum…how does Savvy Rest’s firm/med/soft relate in numbers? Based on my experience today, is there somewhere else I should be looking? Is Savvy rest THAT much better than other latex mattress manufacturers? Could I safely translate the mattress from Savvy Rest to another online brand and expect to get a bed that feels like the bed I was on in the showroom?

Thank you to anyone who has insight and can help me. After 4 babies and 2 car accidents, my 13 year old saggy mattress is really not cutting it!

[quote=“Kzphoto” post=33726]I started my mattress search here (thanks to dumb luck or google or something) and ended up in my first mattress store today. It was a Savvy Rest store. Armed with little info besides wanting the least chemically treated, longest lasting mattress that would ease my back pain I tested several combinations of Talalay and Dunlop mattresses. I didn’t know which was more expensive etc. had I purchased my first choice mattress I would have walked out with a king sized all talalay mattress which was firm at the bottom, medium in the middle, and soft on top. I also would be eating ramen for the next 20 years at $4000 before taxes, a bed frame, bedding, delivery, etc. What i think I have learned since then is that there are 2 Talalay manufacturers. Who makes savvy Rest and do they manufacture for any less expensive brands? I see the ILDs all over this forum…how does Savvy Rest’s firm/med/soft relate in numbers? Based on my experience today, is there somewhere else I should be looking? Is Savvy rest THAT much better than other latex mattress manufacturers? Could I safely translate the mattress from Savvy Rest to another online brand and expect to get a bed that feels like the bed I was on in the showroom?

Thank you to anyone who has insight and can help me. After 4 babies and 2 car accidents, my 13 year old saggy mattress is really not cutting it![/quote]

My wife and I also looked at Savvy Rest and we took had the sticker shock. What we ended up going with was a Sleep EZ 10,000 it is very similar to the Savvy Rest in design and after sleeping on it for month I will say I have been able to swap the layers around to get the mattress to fit my PPP. You can read more about my experience with Sleep EZ here.

I will also say there are other quality latex mattresses out there such as Brooklyn Bedding and other members of this site that also have very quality mattresses.

If you haven’t done so already you should read the tutorial first. Then I would do a little more localized testing on the latex mattress to get the mattress to fit your PPP. Then arming yourself with information from your testing you can call the members of TMU and they will be able to help you pick a mattress that will fit your PPP based off of your local testing.

I hope this helps and I know Phoenix will give you more and probable better advice then I can offer. One thing I learned is there is a lot to mattress shopping and making sure you get a mattress that can fit your PPP.

Hi Kzphoto,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet (which from your questions I suspect you haven’t) … the first place to start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices and help you make better quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

A chemically “treated” mattress would be the exception in the industry rather than the rule because most foams used in mattresses aren’t chemically treated (although they do use chemicals in their formulation) and most mattress fire retardants are inherent fabrics which aren’t chemically treated either (although they can also use chemicals as part of their production). There is a lot of misinformation in the industry about “chemicals” in mattresses on both sides of the discussion and in many cases consumers are reacting to either exaggerated information or misinformation and are making choices more on an emotional basis than a factual basis.

The use of chemicals is also a very different issue from safety or how natural, “green”, or organic a material may be and it’s certainly not the case that all synthetic or “chemical” materials are harmful. Having said that … most people that wish to avoid the use of any chemical materials for either health reasons (such as MCS or multiple chemical sensitivities) or for personal reasons will often tend towards natural latex, innersprings, or the use of natural fibers or fire retardant methods in a mattress (although even organic latex includes some chemicals in its formulation). Most materials have testing certifications such as OekoTex (usually for latex or fabrics) or CertiPur (mostly for polyfoam and memory foam) and there are also others that by most people’s standards would be considered to be “safe enough”. There is more in post #2 here and for those that want to do more detailed research into a subject that is complex, confusing, and frustrating and where there is a great deal of conflicting and often contradictory information then post #2 here and the many posts and sources of information it leads to may be the best place to start to help answer the question of “how safe is safe enough for me” on a more individual basis.

Yes … Radium in Holland and Latex International in the US are the two Talalay manufacturers you will find in North America. Savvy Rest used to use Latex International until fairly recently but now uses Radium Talalay in their mattresses. They are closely comparable in terms of quality. Both make 100% natural versions and versions that use a blend of synthetic and natural rubber in their products and all of them have the same Oeko-Tex certifications for harmful substances and VOC’s. Any mattress manufacturer that uses Talalay latex in their mattresses would use one or the other of these two and many of them are in lower price ranges than Savvy Rest although they may also have very different designs.

The tutorial post includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and many of them sell component latex mattresses (like Savvy Rest) with zip covers in a wide range of designs, options, features, and price ranges. The closest of them to the Savvy Rest design in Talalay would be SleepEz who also makes mattresses with either 2, 3, or 4 three inch Talalay latex layers with a wool quilted cover. They can provide either Radium or Latex International Talalay in either blended or 100% natural versions as well as 100% natural Dunlop in any of their component mattresses and are significantly lower in cost than Savvy Rest although some of the other manufacturers also have similar mattresses that may also be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you even though their designs may be different. Many of them also have a good refund and return policy in case none of the options they have available work out for you (unlike Savvy Rest).

The firmness ranges for the Savvy Rest Talalay when they were using Latex International Talalay were …

Soft Talalay: N2 Soft 20-24
Medium Talalay: N4 Medium 30-34
Firm Talalay: N5 Firm 35-40+

I would imagine that their Radium Talalay would be in the same general range which would be fairly typical for the S/M/F layers of most manufacturers (although you would need to check with a specific manufacturer you are considering).

Most latex doesn’t come in exact ILD’s and this is certainly true of 100% natural Talalay where ILD ratings can be inside a range (see post #6 here) but in general most manufacturers would consider soft Talalay to be in a range of about 19 - 24 ILD, medium to be in a range of 28 - 32 ILD, and firm to be in a range of 36 - 40 ILD (although not all would agree with this). Some people may also be more sensitive to smaller ILD differences between two mattresses than others although for most people an ILD difference that is about 3 or less wouldn’t be very significant.

There are many factors that can affect how well one mattress “matches” another one (see post #9 here) and even small differences in design or materials can make a difference for some people but if the type and blend of latex was the same, the thickness of each layer was the same, the ILD of each layer was the same (or very close), and the cover was also very similar … then for most people they would be a reasonable approximation.

There may also be some other latex options in your area that may be worth considering and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your replies!

Phoenix, I actually had read the tutorial post and a few other posts but found myself overwhelmed by the information. Once I got to a store and could see the layered mattresses and feel the difference between the Dunlop and the Talalay what I had been reading on here no longer felt Greek to me.

I don’t have any chemical sensitivity that I know of. I just was hoping to find a mattress with minimal off gassing…but my house is 't made out of bamboo and I have PVC decals on some of my clothing so I am definitely looking for safe enough. :slight_smile:

I live in Chantilly, Virginia (20152). Actually Urban Mattress was right across the street from the Savvy store I went to which is another store I sawm mentioned on these forums.

I must confess I called plushbeds to get some information and made a spur of the moment purchase on a 10" medium Botanical Bliss mattress. The 1,000 off and free shipping, and 100 day no risk trial of the mattress was too tough to turn down. And I was the salesman’s last call and the sale ends today. I know I sound like a total tool right now, but figured it was worht a shot as it was way cheaper than the Savvy. It has Dunlop instead of Talalay in the first two layers but I thought it was worth a try. Hope my husband agrees! :stuck_out_tongue:

I am still interested in other options since I am able to send this back if it doesn’t work. It was a bit of an impulsive decision but if it works, I’m a genius! (Am I getting kicked off the forum now? Hahaha!)

Hi Kzphoto,

I can see that their advertising and fake sale prices “got you” :slight_smile:

Their sale is ongoing and never ends (nobody ever pays their regular price) and like many similar “sales” is only meant to create a false sense of urgency. You can see why so many retailers use them … because they work on unsuspecting consumers (see post #5 here).

The good news though is that they use good quality materials and there are no “weak links” in the mattress and while they may not be the same design or materials as the Savvy Rest you tried or have the best options, features, or price compared to some of the other choices available to you … they are certainly a good quality/value choice compared to most of the other latex choices that most people would otherwise end up purchasing.

I hope your mattress works well for you and that you end up being a genius … and you are certainly not getting kicked off the forum !!!

If your purchase is a good match for you in terms of PPP … when you look back on your mattress purchase a decade or more down the road you will remember much more about how well you slept and how long the mattress lasted than you will about relatively small differences in price or whether you had options to customize your mattress that you didn’t end up needing.

So most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Yeah, I did get caught up in the sale a bit, however I would never have purchased it without the return policy…which I hope isn’t some bait and switch hoax or something. It better really be returnable if I don’t like it. I did glance quickly at the sleepez site last night and their prices are awesome and the options are great. What I didn’t see was a marquee advertising a great return policy. Is there one? If my plushbed doesn’t work out, I will probably head to that site next…is that a decent move? Having a little bit of buyer’s remorse…especially if returns aren’t as easy as they made them sound.

Hi Kzphoto,

You can see their exchange and return policy here (the return fee is a flat $99).

Since you have a good quality mattress on the way already I would first focus on trying out what you have coming before trying to decide what to do next. If it does turn out that you need to continue your search then is the time I would look at any additional options you have available to you (and SleepEz would be one of the better options you would have available).

Phoenix

I’m pretty sure CocoLatex supplies Savvy Rest’s organic Dunlop. Yes, they sell to many other mattress makers. You’ll notice their latex is more white than manilla colored.

Deborah