Sealy Embody black mold

Just had mattress replaced under warranty, to get the Sealy Embody. Have never slept on this, opened the back and there is black mold on the backing inside the mattress. This was supposed to be my last warranty replacement, now what? Be warned of the Sealy Embody and black mold.

Hi geearle,

If the mold was in the mattress when you received it then you would certainly be entitled to replace it. It’s also possible you received a used mattress (you can look on the law tag to find out when it was manufactured). This certainly wouldn’t be the norm but I would call the store or Sealy to have your mattress removed and replaced ASAP regardless of whether this was your “last” exchange. If this was the way you received it and it was supposed to be new then there should be no issues in replacing it.

Phoenix

Hi geearle,

I wanted to add to my earlier reply since I talked with some people I know about some of the mold issues that you can see around the internet with a google search such as “mattress mold”. They mentioned that one possible reason that would be worth adding to this thread is the water based latex glue that is often used now to replace solvent based glues because they are safer and have less VOC’s. The water based glues take longer to dry and sometimes may not have been allowed to fully dry before the mattress was wrapped in plastic. This in turn can result in higher moisture levels inside the mattress which can be an ideal environment for mold.

This is also a good argument for a breathable mattress foundation which allows airflow and which can reduce the risk of higher humidity levels and mold issues from moisture accumulation and condensation on the bottom of the mattress (which is the most common place for mold issues). Of course this doesn’t apply to you because the mattress had the mold on delivery.

Regardless of any of this though or the underlying cause behind it … if your mattress had mold when it was delivered it’s unthinkable to me that they wouldn’t replace it.

I hope you let us know how it goes.

Phoenix