Sealy High Point alternative?

According to Mattress Firm employees this is supposedly a hard feel to duplicate, it’s a higher end and unique feel. I would ideally like to avoid the 3 S’s though. My partner and I have different tastes and this was the best compromise we found so far, although we do still have other stores to go to. Most of the popular suggestions here won’t work for us, my partner doesn’t like latex or a too much hugging and is a hot sleeper. I have a strong consideration to go with wool but I really loathe the idea of buying something so expensive without being able to try it first.

Hi blackhalo,

According to Mattress Firm employees this is supposedly a hard feel to duplicate, it’s a higher end and unique feel. I would ideally like to avoid the 3 S’s though.

My partner and I have different tastes and this was the best compromise we found so far, although we do still have other stores to go to. > Most of the popular suggestions here won’t work for us, my partner doesn’t like latex or a too much hugging and is a hot sleeper.

As you likely know, any mattress you choose will be unique to you both, based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). No one can tell you which mattress will work for you, except you.

The Mattress Firm employees were likely correct - the Sealy High Point Hybrid would be difficult to replicate…because, like many of the ‘big brands’ they are not transparent in the details, particularly on the density, of their components. Itook a look at the Sealy High Point hybrid…this is a 14" hybrid with a 1.5" and 2" layer of memory foam of unknown density as comfort layers, and an encased coil support layer with 1090 count coils of unknown gauge, which is between a 1.5 gel foam transition layer and a 1" gel foam base layer. For such a high price, the lack of details on the foam density is a red flag, as it makes it difficult to assess the durability of the foams used, which could ‘break down’ prematurely, especially for larger sleepers.

As your partner does not like latex, a too plush comfort layer, and sleeps hot, depending on your own preferences and Stats you may want to take a day for you both to do some in person mattress testing at local showrooms to make a ‘short list’ of potential mattress types and firmnesses which you both find comfortable. This can expedite the process of choosing a mattress as well as allow for online shopping if you cannot find a sleep solution locally.

If you both want to stick with foam, we suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support. a wool, coconut coir, or other breathable material in a cover can allow for increased breathability and air circulation and may help with the ‘hot sleeping’ feeling.

Once you have decided on a few mattress types which may be suitable, you also may want to take a look at the Trusted Members of the site, who offer mattresses if all types, materials and price points, with quality and transparency in their materials and construction; by providing them with your a little information such as your Stats, PPP and mattress history, can guide you to find a great comfortable & durable mattress. If you find any other mattresses you have questions on, and can provide your Stats and PPP, feel free to post and we can also possibly comment on their durability and support attributes.

~ Basilio

I’m going to try bumping this one time for visibility. I understand why Basilio’s reply is what it is, but I’m not asking for general advice. I’ve done that, and done research, and tried many options from undesirable brands in stores. Nonetheless High Point is a popular model so there must be people here who have tried, or even own, this exact mattress. Those are the people who’s opinion I’m currently interested in. That would be information that would be useful to me.