Sealy Optimum/Ultimate Dreams/Zen Bedrooms?

Hi, Everybody!

We are first time posters, sorry if we’re noobs … (Well, we know we’re noobs but hope we aren’t the annoying kind).

We are looking at upgrading to a King memory foam, gel, or latex bed.

A little bit about us:

We are both in our mid twenties, Joel (6’2", 200lbs) has fibromyalgia and lower back problems, and Sara (5’6" 125) has rheumatoid arthritis. We are going get a semi-firm mattress to compromise comfort and support (4-5 on the comfort scale). We are both hot sleepers!

Our budget is pretty flexible, we’ve looked at everything from $500 mattress blowouts to spending over $2,200.

We are located in the NW (Oregon), and would be willing to travel between Roseburg and Portland.

We currently are on a coil bed with a foam topper from Macy’s (we know…). We just started looking, and have gone to a local mattress shops, Sears and Macy’s, and after doing more research, know we won’t be getting a mattress from a large store, but are thoroughly confused as what to do. Reading some of the posts, Phoenix doesn’t seem to like large manufacturers’ beds. We had liked both the iComfort and Sealy Optimum Radiance in the store. We found that the Radiance in a King size can be had for about $1600-$1700 online (there was even a queen for $900 on amazon). However, with research, it seems that the long term durability of these mattresses are unknown at best. We saw that you had recommended the Ultimate Dreams mattresses a few times, and had looked at the lower end style on Amazon that is on sale for $750. We also saw that Zen Bedrooms has a living social deal for $400 + the $500 for the box spring foundation.

The fact that we wouldn’t be able to try the Ultimate Dreams mattress, and would be unable to return it, is disconcerting. We also saw a recommendation for Healthy Foundations.

So, as you can probably tell, we are confused and don’t really know what to do. Some guidance would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hi Sara_joel,

Welcome … and everyone is a “noob” at one time or another :slight_smile:

The first place I would start is post #1 here and the information it links to which is the most important post on the forum. It will give you all the information and steps you need to make a great choice.

As you will read … knowing what to avoid (such as major brands and chain stores or any retailer who can’t tell you the real information about what is in their mattresses) and knowing who and what to focus on is more than half the battle. In most cases who you buy from can be just as important as what you buy.

You are fortunate to be near Portland because you have some very good choices there and one of them is a member of this site which means I believe they are among the best quality, value, and service in the country. You will find the list of better options in and around the Portland, OR area in post #2 here.

Post #2 here has some further options in other areas of Oregon.

Brooklyn Bedding does allow returns if the mattress is purchased from their own site (they are just starting to release their new line of mattresses there) but there are fairly significant shipping charges involved. The ability to exchange a layer a much less costly way to make changes to a mattress if your first choice isn’t quite right.

I’m not sure where you saw a “recommendation” for Healthy foundations but it certainly wasn’t from me :slight_smile:
Post #486 here has more of my thoughts about them.

Phoenix