Searching.... and wondering about return policies

I have now exchanged my Macy’s mattress twice - and my mattress is again starting to dip and cause both my husband and I pain. Also, I’m dealing with some pretty painful lower back/leg issues right now and cannot afford to sleep uncomfortably. So - I’m looking for a new mattress. Came upon your site and keep reading and re-reading - there is just so much to learn. I am drawn to the latex mattress idea; specifically Cozy Pur - and they are located in the next town over. I will go this weekend to see and test the mattresses. However, I realize that I may be spending between 3-4K this time for a king mattress and I am very uncomfortable reading that there really is no return policy for these mattresses. Not unless you don’t use it - which won’t be the case. What are some thoughts I should take into consideration regarding purchasing an expensive mattress like this with a no return policy? It makes me a bit nervous.

Also, I stayed last weekend at a Hilton Garden Inn - and had a completely restful nite. Which is why I realized that my mattress needs to be tossed… again. I called HGI and spoke with the bed manufacturer - natural form. I see your site doesn’t really recommend highly these beds, right? Also, no one at the HGI could tell me whether the bed I was sleeping on was the most current model. The rep at natural form told me that the beds had been updated and I probably wasn’t sleeping on the latest model. The hotel told me that I was - so I’m confused there. Any help appreciated…

Hi debg,

Return and exchange options are one of the costs that are built into the price of a mattress which is sometimes hidden and sometimes added as a separate cost. When the cost of returns or exchanges is hidden as part of the retail price of a mattress then the people who don’t return or exchange a mattress end up paying for the ones who do which can add to the cost for the majority of people and reduce it for the minority who need to exchange or return their mattress.

The importance of a return or exchange policy really depends on your confidence in how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and on the likelihood that a mattress will be a good match for you. It also depends on where you are in the range between “I can sleep on anything” and “princess and the pea”. For some people there is a fairly wide range of mattresses that will work well for them so the likelihood that they will need to change their initial choice is very low. For others their range is much narrower and they are much more likely to need some fine tuning after a purchase. It also depends on the other options you have available outside of an actual return or exchange if the mattress you choose turns out to be a “less than ideal” choice. For example if you choose a mattress that is too firm then you can add a topper to “fine tune” the mattress and provide additional pressure relief and if that works well then the importance of a return or exchange policy would be much less. Testing a mattress more carefully and objectively using the testing guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial can also greatly improve the odds that your initial choice will be suitable for you.

All of this is part of each person’s personal value equation which is all the parts of a mattress purchase and the tradeoffs involved that are more important to some people and less important to others.

All the Cozy Pure mattresses use high quality materials (latex) and there are no weak links in any of their mattresses in terms of quality/durability so unlike some of the mattress you purchased previously you won’t have the problems with lower quality comfort layers that develop soft spots or visible impressions prematurely so once you have a mattress that works well for you it will stay that way for much longer periods of time because of the durability of latex. The Cozy Pure mattresses are also component mattresses that allow you to change the feel and performance of the mattress by re-arranging or changing single layers or adding an additional layer instead of having to exchange or return the complete mattress.

In most cases the top layers of a mattress will soften or break down before the deeper layers and the comfort layers are the weakest link of the mattress. With a component mattress you can replace just the single layer that has softened before the others or if you find that your needs and preferences change in the future then you can also make changes to the mattress to accommodate them without having to buy a completely new mattress.

All of these are part of the pros and cons for any mattress purchase but in the case of Cozy Pure (or other component mattresses) … even without a mattress exchange or return policy for the complete mattress you still have good options available to you after a purchase.

I’m not a big fan of airbeds no (see this article) but like any mattress category there will always be some people that prefer them over any other type. Airbeds that are zoned so they can be softer or firmer under different parts of the body (firmer under the heavier pelvis and lower back and softer under the shoulders for example) would probably be a better choice than those that aren’t since airbeds that aren’t zoned tend to sag in the middle with softer settings. I don’t think that the Hilton Mattresses are the newest version of the Natural Form mattresses (they changed their design fairly recently) but I don’t know that for certain.

Phoenix

Spent a few hours at CozyPure yesterday and ordered our mattress! Very excited and cannot wait to get it home! we went with the pure performance plus with the 3" topper… went back and forth (rolling on both display mattresses) whether to go with the soft or medium… but I really preferred the soft and got that. If it proves to be too soft, we can replace that piece. July special included the 2 pillows and the knit mattress cover!.. Hans was there and very helpful - I found it much easier to shop there than “wandering” around the big department stores looking for mattress with no idea of what to really look for! So - thanks for all the info. !!

Hi debg,

It sounds like you made a great choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your thoughts and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix