Searching for a mattress for new apartment - ready to buy

Hi all - I have a brand-new apartment and no mattress. I am a 5’5" 170 (muscular) bio male, 50. I am a side sleeper and have had neck/pinched nerve issues and shoulder surgeries. Sometimes I lay on my stomach but always wake-up on side. I sit-up and watch TV in bed a lot. I have terrible night sweats and my GF says i feel like a furnace at night. My GF is over most days and she is 5’2 tiny, side sleeper, with major shoulder pain. She has a BeautyRest Black at home and likes it, but i think it is the reasons her shoulders hurt. She thinks she likes firm, but I think that is from outdated perceptions. I think i want soft, to help our aching shoulders, neck and back while on our sides. I know I need cool or at least very breathable because of my human torch condition.

I am looking to purchase a king that can be used on an adjustable bed. Looking to spend $3k max for mattress but prefer to be closer to $2k. I dont trust more money actually will equal less pain and more sleep. But what do i know. I have tried in-store and liked: Helix Midnight Luxe, Nolah Evolution (plush), Saatva Classic and Puffy Royale. The Purple Rejunventae Premier might be the best thing i have ever felt, but way too much money. I think i want a pillow-top for us to feel something soft and kind sink into bed to help our shoulders and hips. Trying to buy during the memorial day sales. I know i don’t want fiberglass. I just want the perfect mattress for our scenario, without feeling like someone got better deal :slight_smile:

Any suggestions for perfect? I would try anything but will not DIY because i just don’t have the time (but intrigued). I read about Plushbed Signature Bliss but saw no actual reviews. DLX is intriguing and also Engineered Sleep. So confused by the conglomerates (Brooklyn Bedding, Dream Sleep, etc) Thanks in advance for the advice and suggestions.

Hi @Jay6664,

You are in the thick of it! Mattress shopping is very hard these days. I can speak to what I know on our products and what would be the best fit for you.

I would recommend our DUO Latex Plus as the best fit for your needs. It has great support, but also a comfortable plush latex comfort top. It will sleep cool because of the latex. It does a good job of meeting the needs of people who think they want a firm mattress.

With our DUO Mattresses you also have 2 different feels becuase the DUO Support is flippable with Slightly Firmer and Slightly Softer sides. You have a 100 Night Trial and during that 100 Nights you can make one exchange of the Comfort Layers, if needed.

Happy to answer any more specific questions, but I hope this gives you a good overview! The King Size DUO Latex Plus is $2,136.75 right now and you can use TMU10 to take another 10% off ($1,923.08).

1 Like

Hi Jay6664,
Welcome to the Mattress UnderGround and joining as a MUGster.

We advocate for our sleepers (referred to fondly as MUGsters in our community) to assess mattresses not only through a 20-30 minute trial in the showroom, when available, but also by considering the mattress’s engineered specifications.

When a companies do not disclose their foam densities, spring gauges and other relevant build specifications, we always suggest to proceed with caution. Several of the mattresses you have selected fall into that category. The Helix and the Nolah are fairly transparent with their specifications, while some of the others limit what they will tell you or simply will not provide that information altogether.

Another recommendation we often emphasize is avoiding mattress layers with more than 1" of lower-quality foam. A mattress’s quality is determined by its weakest layer, adhering to this principle ensures overall durability and comfort. Trusted Members within TMU community universally embrace this philosophy, comprehending the adverse effects of inferior foams on sleepers. Consequently, they recognize that it’s not beneficial for anyone to construct a mattress using such subpar materials.

There are many suitable choices a MUGster can make adhering to a budget you have suggested. While there are numerous marketing tactics promoting grids, mineral-infused foams, and other gimmicks, they often don’t justify the substantial price hike with tangible benefits.

Your research into @DLX and @EngineeredSleep has undoubtedly revealed their reputation for reliable material quality, excellent customer service, and enduring user satisfaction over the long term. Brooklyn Bedding and Helix do have some nice offerings. I would review the policies of any manufacturer where a potential purchase is eminent. I call it the 4R’s, Refund, Restocking Fee, Return Fee and Reputation.

Good luck on your search and the Mattress UnderGround is always here to guide you in that process.

Maverick

Thank you. Feel free to send me your email so we can discuss further. This is kind of what i mean by confused, on the website, it says the the memory foam is your most comfortable. Why would i choose something less comfortable? It is like self fulfilling prophecy, i choose your rec but in back of my mind, your website says the other is more comfortable. Then my GF yells at me for picking the less comfortable because it says that. So i have to return because all i am thinking is the possibilities of the other mattress and not focusing on the one i bought.

Just explaining how even good companies are sending mixed messaging with the websites.

Best,
Jay

Maverick, thank you. Still confused (and tired), which one has the superior spec?

Best,
Jay

In terms of specs, quality and longevity, despite being a brooklyn bedding plank luxe owner.

The DLX Premier and the Engineered Sleep Duo are my top two from the list of choices. These are super comfortable mattresses.

They are a bit more premium than their other lower priced quality offerings, but in terms of longevity, they are worth it.

When it comes to the gimmicks this is the potential. Purple Video

No one can tell you how you feel on a mattress. The specs will provide an indication of how long one might last. How firm or soft it may be. At the end of the day, you are the final judge, which is why you get a generous trial period.

I always say, go with you gut instinct with the facts you have before you.

Best of luck,

Maverick

@Jay6664 my email is [email protected]

You make a good point! Our team was trying to convey that Memory Foam is a little more contouring, softer than latex or polyfoam, but in the end - comfort is very subjective. So, we may need to take another look at that wording to avoid confusion because I 100% see your point.

Also, because comfort is very subjective - with the DUO we let our customers have options on that part of the mattress and give the options of exchanging it after it has been purchased.

Thank you for the honesty and feedback. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

1 Like