searching for latex mattress

Great website! Very informative.
I think a latex mattress might be the way to go for me. My sore hip seems to prefer a “soft” feel, but I know my back needs support (herniated disc). I’m a little nervous about buying a mattress online, but Plush, Foam Sweet Foam and Habitat all seem to have ones that might work w/good return policies. The configurations that seemed like they’d work are around 2500. Yikes! Is that just what it would cost to get a plush, but supportive mattress w/o chemicals? I was hoping to spend more in the 1500 range.

Is there a better way to go here? I’ve read most of the general articles on the site, but am a little overwhelmed with all the information. It did save me from making a poor decision yesterday–when I walked into a major chain and almost bought a S mattress, but I feel l could use some advice.

Thank you very much!

Have you seen Spindle Mattress?

Spindle Mattress

Hi kmcd,

Have you read the tutorial post here.

The tutorial also includes a link to a list of some of the online retailers and manufacturers that are members of the site that make a wide variety of latex mattresses in different price ranges, using different types of latex, and that have many different designs, features and options.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

The three manufacturers you are mentioning all use good quality latex in their mattresses but there are also other similar options available to you that may be well worth considering and I would make some careful value comparisons based on the criteria of your personal value equation that are most important to you before making a final choice.

A forum search on Plushbeds and Habitat and Foam Sweet Foam (you can just click each of these) will bring up more information and comments about each of them.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your reply! I’m feeling a little like the person in the other recent message about latex beds, overwhelmed by all that I’ve read! This site is so helpful.

My zip code is 20190

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion–I’ll check them out. :slight_smile:

Dear Phoenix,

I’ve never been on a message board–so I’m learning as I go here! I did read the tutorial. I tried a lot of mattresses out and like the “feel” of the softer foams (like the Tempur cloud), but I’m pretty sensitive to off-gassing, and after reading about latex, it seems like a better (cleaner) way to go, but I’m still sorting through all the different types, and layers. Today I’m going to a healthy back store (from your list, or a forum post) to check out the feel of all latex mattress.
Thank you for your help!
kmcd

Hi kmcd,

I’m glad the information here could help you and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing and of course any questions you may have along the way.

Some of the better options I’m aware of in the Northern Virginia / Washington DC area are listed in post #2 here and there is also a list centered around the Leesburg/Frederick area in post #2 here.

Good luck with your mattress testing :slight_smile:

Phoenix

See my post on sleep deprived about what your looking for

Hi kmcd,

I’ve added two links to my last reply which includes the better options and possibilities I’m aware of that are within reasonable driving distance of you.

Sorry for not adding them earlier.

Phoenix