Searching Mattress <1000 in Canada. (115lbs, side+back sleeper)

Hi, I’m 115lbs, female, a side and back sleeper. I love my beds soft, like I’m wrapped in a cloud, if that even makes sense. But theory is soft mattresses tend to “sag” and ideally this mattress can last 5 years minimum.

My old-school parents believe in the S-brands and high-coil count + medium/very firm = the best. After my own research, I know that’s untrue. I’ve been living at home (without choice in mattress) and then when I moved out, I’ve only lived in furnished rentals (mattresses included). As a cheap alternative to a new mattress, I’ve bought a mattress topper.for my 2020-2021 rental, but the topper sinks so deep now, my hips sink when I sleep on my back. Taking topper off, my back hurts because the ikea mattress is hard like a rock.

I’m moving into my first home purchase, no mattress included! I don’t care about the * jazzy * features (cooling, support on the sides, "bounce’) - I just want something good quality, plush-medium plush that will STAY that way and not sag, and something affordable (the down payment has taken all my money already)

Can someone throw me some recommendations? Thank you SO much!

(I know some people are awesome and make their own mattresses but I am not a really hands on person so would prefer to just buy one. Thanks!)

Hi mattressnewbie123.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new home!

Thank you for sharing the details of your preferences and sleep statistics! While soft mattresses certainly can sag, that doesn’t have to be the case when you purchase a product that is the correct density for durability - and contrary to popular belief, you can find a plush yet high density and durable foam mattress, getting closer to 10 years out of memory foam and up to 20 out of latex.

It’s hard for me to make any specific recommendations as firmness/softness is subjective and relative to the perceptions of different people and a mattress that feels soft for one person can feel firm to someone else so the only way to know what feels soft or firm (or “semi-cush”) to you will be based on your own testing or personal experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP or how it compares to another mattress … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

I would, of course, suggest starting with our Trusted Members as a launching point.

I hope this helps!
NikkiTMU