Seeking Mattress Input

First off, you guys & gals are awesome for your contributions to this forum (esp. Phoenix). The class, lack of judgment, and helpful spirit of the members has been refreshing (compared to other forums).

Anyway, I would sincerely appreciate your input on my mattress situation.

I was looking into the dreamfoam and nuform allure talalay latex beds. I was a second from buying the nuform on overstock but missed the 10% savings and was a little apprehensive about not being sure what the base foam was (hoping to get 2+lb for longevity and support).

I was also interested in the regular 10" ultimate dreams until I saw that it does not use the 2.3lb base layer anymore. It appears that the ultimate dreams natural latex still uses the 2.3lb base foam though so that could be an option.

I am certainly open to other options. I was leaning toward the latex beds for the reasons you all have pointed out in this forum (which I will not bother to regurgitate) but am also open to memory foam options. Our current bed is an old memory foam mattress that badly needs replaced; along with the foundation and frame that I have had to fix previously.

Anyway, it would probably help to give your our sleeping habits for consideration:

My info: Under 30, 6’2", currently 320 lbs. (losing but likely to only get near 250). Played college football and power lifted so I am more dense than my weight would lead you to believe. I get the most comfort sleeping on my back but do sometimes sleep in other positions (likely due to discomfort). I also like to be on the cooler side. I understand that my weight will require something on the firm side to support me.

Wife’s info: Under 30, 5’8", 135 lbs., she just needs enough cushion for her butt and shoulders to indent enough to support her back on the mattress since she has very minor scoliosis. She typically sleeps on her back and likes to be a little warmer than I do.

I am guessing that we would require about a 5 on the ultimate dreams firmness (reviews stated that often they were firmer than expected so…). I purchase a Serta Rest 3" Gel-infused memory foam topper (4lb density) so that might help give my wife the "float that she needs. I prefer to go with the separate topper anyway so I can replace it as needed and save the mattress (hygiene and wear).

I am planning to build a platform bed for the new mattress. I can either use slats or MDF for the top… depending on the needs of the mattress. I was planning on MDF as I wanted to make it so I could tilt up the mattress and store things under it (inside the platform bed). Any concerns with the foundation re slats vs. solid sheet?

I might be interested in a gel foam mattress if you think one might be a decent alternative.

As you can probably tell from the mattresses I listed, I am really hoping to get a good value ($700-900 for a KING or CAL KING). I would be willing to spend more if there would be significant advantages to anyone’s suggestions. I would be willing to assemble a DIY mattress as well if someone knew what materials/layers I would work best for us.

Lastly, we would gladly try some local vendors (Pittsburgh, PA) but the ones I found in another thread were priced a bit higher than the aforementioned.

Even if I don’t get any responses I have gotten a lot out of the information posted on this forum so thanks for that and thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

Hi SkyFreek60,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you with “how” to make the best possible choices and comparisons between mattresses.

Post #2 here and the links it includes has more about the change in foam (which happened long ago) and the somewhat misleading review which mentions it although you are in a weight range where I would consider the use of higher density base foam (including some of the latex hybrid options that are offered by Dreamfoam’s sister company Brooklyn Bedding).

Post #3 and #4 here also has some links to some lower budget latex or latex hybrid mattresses made by some of the members of this site and others as well.

The Ultimate Dreams Natural Latex Mattress still uses the 2.35 lb foam according to the Amazon description but it’s always a good idea to talk directly with an online retailer or manufacturer to confirm the current specs of any mattress you are considering and more importantly the options that are available (such as split layering for couples with significantly different weights) how suitable a specific mattress design may be for you in terms of PPP and the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

The better options or possibilities I know of in the Pittsburgh area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Well, after reading a lot more info and testing out quite a few mattresses this weekend I think I figured out what we needed (at least I hope so). I looked into a DIY mattress with all latex but even getting close-outs the price was actually higher than what I ended up going with.

After discussing my needs with Carlos at Brooklyn Bedding I ended up ordering a 9" tri-latex mattress with dual comfort (my side firm & wife’s medium). I think this should address both of our needs well and worst case I can swap out or order replacement comfort layers. I will give it a shot as-is before deciding if we need to use the topper I have.

The full latex should last longer (vs polyfoam) with my weight so the initial extra investment should hopefully pay off with added longevity.

They threw in 2 free shredded latex pillows and I saved another $60 for mentioning this forum (thanks a lot for that!!!).

Well, the wife and I are anxiously awaiting the much needed rest and will hopefully have a good review after trying it out. Thanks again for the insight in your response and throughout the entire forum!!

Hi SkyFreek60,

Thanks for the update and for letting us know what you ended up choosing. I think you made a great quality/value choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m especially looking forward to your feedback once you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit because this is one of their newest mattresses and there are not a lot of people who have purchased it yet.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=33677]Hi SkyFreek60,

I’m especially looking forward to your feedback once you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit because this is one of their newest mattresses and there are not a lot of people who have purchased it yet.

Phoenix[/quote]

Congratulations on your purchase!

I too am looking forward to your feedback on this particular mattress. My guess is your gonna be extremely happy with it. I bet this becomes a very popular mattress in the future.

Kudos to you for being one of the first!

Just another example of the customer service you will experience with the vendors referenced here by Pheonix. The fact that they accommodated you with a dual zone purchase and it not being listed as an option is beyond exceptional in my opinion.

good luck with it.

well, interesting roadblock. The manager called and apparently that model is not supposed to have the dual comfort option (though the website says it is available for king… likely an error since it is new).

He said that the firm and medium are very similar in this model and the firm should work fine for us. He also offered to waive the exchange shipping fee (typically $75) if we were not happy with the firmness. It seems this bed has some lumbar support built into it and the layers are convoluted… so though it is 2x3" layers the convoluting (and possibly tufting) essentially makes them 4"/layer. Anyway, he mentioned that this model would have an expected lifespan of 8-10years (I think the 20year warranty on the product page may also be a carry-over that was missed due to it being a new model). So I could just go with the firm in this mattress and the free exchange option is quite nice and he even offered to adjust layers as I saw fit for a medium-firm. BUT>>>

He also offered to upgrade me to the 14" Aloe Alexis for an extra $350 due to the mistake (they will not typically give that much discount but I said I didn’t need the mattress protector he offered for free so he offered the bit extra). The benefits of this model are the extra layer of 7" 2.2LB poly foam, an upgraded case, and talalay latex (instead of Dunlop), true 20 year warranty (he said an expected life of about 18 years), and I can get the dual comfort zones… with more options on firmness (thinking 3 or 4 for me, 6 for wife).

If the added benefits are what they seem it would appear to be quite short-sighted to not take him up on the upgrade but I would appreciate some input… what say you?

Hi SkyFreek60,

It seems that the mistake in the description has given you some options that work to your benefit but add some extra complexity to your final choice.

The center zone would be firmer which would provide firmer support under the pelvis and the lumbar and the part under the shoulders and legs would be softer which can help with alignment. The convoluted layer would also be “somewhat” similar to a 3" layer with a softer 1" layer on top of it (assuming that the height of the peaks over the valleys is about an inch). There is more about convoluted layers in post #2 here.

I don’t think that anyone can really tell you which direction is best because it would depend on your preferences and the parts of your personal value equation that were more important to you than anything else but I can see how it would be tempting.

From a more selfish perspective … I was hoping that we would have a chance to hear some feedback about the new Tri-Comfort but that would be making your choice for all the wrong reasons :slight_smile:

From a more personal perspective … I would be very tempted to go for the Alexis both because of the reduction, you can split the layers, and because I personally tend to prefer the “feel” of Talalay over Dunlop although others in my family are the opposite and someone else’s personal preferences would also be the wrong reason for anyone else to make the same choice.

Phoenix

Yes, thought about not being able to be a guinea pig when he called. The alexis is really tempting especially if the added lifespan is to be expected. Also, if I order a level 3 and a level 6 then I will have 4 layers of different ILD latex so I can possibly do some tweaking to find our exact needs and can exchange layers if need be. Being able to try a large handful of options over the 120 day swap period seems like a pretty nice option. Seeing as there are some pretty good reviews of the alexis it really seems like a good option and the lower price ($1400) really makes it seem like a good value.

Hi SkyFreek60,

I would probably be very tempted as well for all the reasons you mentioned (except for reviews on a mattress which I don’t pay a lot of attention to) :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello SkyFreak60,

I am glad I could get this worked out for you, I do apologize for the miscommunication on our part I have since had this updated by our web master. The correct information is available.

I truly feel you will benefit from the upgrade to our Aloe Alexis model very much and do appreciate your willingness to work with us. We do appreciate your business and I have made all the arrangements to have this shipped out to you as soon as possible.

Thank you again for shopping with us! Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Mario Sevilla
Brooklyn Bedding
480-323-8831