Seeking solution for Talalay topper for two people on same bed

We have an extra firm King sized Talalay Mattress (ILD unknown). Person A has decided it’s too firm and we’re going to get a Talalay Topper. However, Person B thinks the mattress firmness is fine, but is willing to get a topper…

Person A (6ft tall, 150lbs- slender, chronic lower back and hip pain, side sleeper)
Person B (6ft tall, 170lbs, slender, predominantly back sleeper with some side sleeping)

I was thinking of buying a 19ILD Talalay topper, but I"m not sure if we should get 3" or 2"? The reason for hesitation is because of our different needs and not wanting the back sleeper to feel like he’s sinking too deep into the topper, but also concerned that a 2" may be insufficient for the side sleeper with back pain. Is my guess for the 19ILD topper correct? or should we go more firm? We can’t try anything out due to our geographical location.

Hi Gail_B.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Ah yes, disparities in feel/comfort on a mattress is a common issue and why split configurations are so popular. Because you have different needs, I’d suggest going with the thinner topper. Also, you’d be surprised just how thick 3" of foam really is.

19 ILD is considered soft and because it’ll be atop an already semi-firm (but comfortable for you) comfort layer, I wouldn’t worry about it being insufficient.

As for how firm you should choose, I can’t say for sure. Feel is very subjective and what I may think is super firm may be medium or not firm enough for you. Trial and error is really the best and most reliable data point. I’d choose a company with a great exchange policy just in case.

NikkiTMU

So I got a 2" 19ild Talalay topper and it sleeps very hot and I feel like I may be bottoming out on it into the firm layer below As a side sleeper. My lower back is still unhappy, but shoulders more happy. I’m wondering about changing it up toa 3" medium ILD Talalay topper. The motion control is so bad with the 2" topper and i really feel my partner moving around in bed.

Thoughts?
~Gail

Hi Gail_B
I’ll move around some of your posts on the same issue in one place for ease of reference and to avoid duplication. For now please see my reply to the same questions in this thread here.