Seeking updated mattress shopping suggestions in the Indianapolis area

My husband and I went shopping for a mattress set today. Having bought a mattress only 10 month ago and finding that it has become “soft” and does not feel supportive like the unoccupied middle strip of the bed that feels far different than the spots my husband and I occupy towards the far ends of the bed; is causing me very poor sleep and feeling lots of back pain. The Englander purchased 10 months ago was a replacement for a set purchased from Euro-Flex in the San Diego area (via mail order) that disappointingly only lasted about 6 years with the last 4 1/2 years giving me extreme pressure point pain and terrible lower back pain. I guess I would say the Euro-Flex set also softened to the point of not being supportive. That set cost $4,400 and was not really any better than this cheaper Englander. Neither of the mattresses had “body impressions” that qualified for warranty replacements but the softening was enough to make me feel like I was climbing out of a hole and not supportive like when they were brand spanking new… My husband is 6ft and about 210lbs, and I about 5;4 tall and 165lbs.

My husband is none too happy that we have to replace the newer mattress and I am (again) concerned with the mattress softening. Today we tried a Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody Luxe and like the firmness of it. We looked at Long’s Mattresses, which only carries Bowles brand mattresses. We both felt the Bowles line seemed sub-par after trying out the Tempur-Pedics but wanted to find something cheaper than $7K (mattress and adjustable foundation). We could agree on the Gold Euro Style and Gold Box Top. I asked about warranty and the salesman gave a glowing account of how they would replace or “fix” any mattress discomfort issue we had in a non-prorated 10 yr. period. I asked if this was in writing and he said no. Well, $2,200 is still a lot of money to find out that they won’t honor such issues if the bed softens and becomes painfully uncomfortable for me.

My biggest issue is that the bed won’t feel the same after a couple years of use. Do you have any suggestions for local, good quality mattresses, whether memory foam or conventional, that won’t soften within the first 5 years? My husband has gotten to the point he thinks I am the Princess who cannot sleep on a pea. He may be somewhat right but I think it is all the ruptured and bulging discs in my back and my sciatic nerve causing me to be ultra sensitive to the softening and lessening support of the mattresses we’ve purchased.

Hi Lucajc,

Unfortunately your experience is not all that uncommon.

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice that will hopefully last you much longer than your previous two mattresses.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for when you sleep on it in “real life” and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Outside of PPP … the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability and the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that a retailer or manufacturer you are considering is willing and able to provide you with the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress before making any purchase.

There is also more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Indianapolis area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix