Select Foam Grandis HD- Is it Worth the Poor Customer Service???

I purchased a Tuft and Needle mattress (wanting something firmer after sleeping on couch cushions for quite some time that were too soft) and have been sleeping on it for a few weeks with no problems. However, last week I stayed at a hotel for training for work and noticed the bed in the room was softer/contoured better to my body and that I liked it more. I was going furniture shopping and wanted to try out the Tempurpedic section and the last mattress I tried was the Grand Bed and knew I wanted it immediately if it weren’t so expensive. Upon looking for reviews I came across the Select Foam Grandis HD and saw that it basically claimed to be as good as or even better than the Grand Bed, but was less than half the price. However I noticed many bad reviews for Select Foam recently, though they mostly seemed to be about customer service (I also noticed that on the website the price for the Grand Bed when compared with the Grandis HD was too low and I’m guessing the site hasn’t been updated for a while) and waiting times. If I were able to get what I ordered at the quality advertised I probably wouldn’t mind even if I had to wait a month or two. I was hoping to get more feedback about the quality of the mattress (and whether or not I would actually receive it if I ordered it) as well as Select Foam. I know this seems to have been covered quite a few times already, but wanted the most up to date information I could get to find out if I would actually get what I would pay for even if it took a while to arrive. Please let me know what you think!

Hi curimattrous,

I would make sure you read the warning in post #1 here and a forum search on Select Foam (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well (with the most recent listed first).

“Risk management” is part of any purchase decision and like anything else that involves risk there is no way to know or quantify what the specific risk would be with any specific choice without the benefit of hindsight. While I can’t advise you what to do because only you can decide on the level of risk you are comfortable with … given many of the member’s experience with them over the years I would certainly consider any purchase from Select Foam to be a high risk purchase.

Phoenix

Thank you very much for the quick response, Phoenix.

I hadn’t read the post about the switch in suppliers and the possible decline in quality. I would prefer to go elsewhere based on what I’ve read, but is there anything else comparable with the Tempur Grand Bed?

Hi curimattrous,

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP (regardless of anyone else’s opinions of how they compare which may be different from your own) would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

Having said that … if you are researching online memory foam mattresses then the mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and several of them make memory foam mattresses that they describe as being reasonable approximations of many of the Tempurpedic mattresses. Several of the other retailers or manufacturers that are on the list that don’t specifically describe their mattresses as being similar to one of the Tempurpedic models would probably also be able to give you more information about which of their mattresses would be the closest approximation to a Tempurpedic mattress that you prefer as well.

I would also keep in mind that different people can have very different opinions about how a mattress feels or compares to another mattress. The “feel” of a mattress is also very subjective and isn’t the same thing as the firmness of a mattress or whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness and PPP so another memory foam mattress may have a very different “feel” but still be just as suitable for you to sleep on, just as durable, and have a similar firmness level.

The only manufacturer on the list that I’m aware of off the top of my head that sells a mattress that they compare to the Tempurpedic GrandBed is Christeli and they compare both their Palais Grand Royal and their Lux Estate mattresses to the GrandBed. Their designs are different however because both mattresses include latex support cores (which is a different but higher quality material than the polyfoam that Tempurpedic uses in their base layers) and their memory foam thicknesses and densities and “feel” are also different from the memory foam layers in the Grandbed but there are no lower quality or weak links in either mattress. I would also be aware that they only offer a 50 day exchange policy and don’t have a return policy so if you purchase a mattress from them that isn’t as suitable as you hoped for then you will only be able to make a single exchange for a different mattress … although they do provide good guidance to help you decide which of their mattresses would have the best chance of success.

I would also make sure that you have done some careful testing to confirm that the Tempurpedic GrandBed really is the best “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP out of all the mattresses they offer and that you aren’t just assuming that it’s somehow better for you because it’s their most expensive mattress because any mattress (including the GrandBed) may be a good choice for some people and may be completely unsuitable for other people to sleep on regardless of the price.

Phoenix

Thanks again for the information, Phoenix. I understand that two different mattresses won’t be an exact match unless they’re made exactly the same; it just appeared that the Grandis HD was made specifically to equal or outperform the Grand Bed and I was wondering if there were any other mattresses comparing themselves to the Grand Bed seemingly to do the same thing. Thank you very much for telling me about the Lux Estate and Palais Grand Royale. Thank you also for the warning about carefully testing the Grand Bed and not just assuming it was better because of the higher price; at the store I’m not sure how many Tempurpedics I tried before the Grand Bed, but as soon as I got on it I could tell it was a cut above the others by how comfortable it was. I’m planning to go back again tomorrow just to make sure it was as good as I remember before possible moving forward with Christeli, and now I know about PPP to help with the decision. Much appreciated!

curimattrous

Hi curimattrous,

I would always keep in mind that “comfort” and the “showroom feel” of a mattress is very subjective and isn’t nearly as important as doing some careful testing for good spinal alignment (which is most important) and good pressure relief (which is the next most important) in all your sleeping positions. These are the two primary functions of a mattress and will be a much more important factor in how well you sleep on a mattress and how well you feel when you wake up in the morning than the “feel” of a mattress in a showroom.

Phoenix

That is too true. I make that statement only because of sleeping on the mattress at the hotel for a few days and getting a better sleep than on my tuft and Needle, which I already get a good sleep on, and how much better the Grand Bed felt than the mattress at the hotel. However, I still plan to test it more today like you recommend.

I was wondering if you knew of any other memory foam mattresses that use 7lb or higher memory foam in their comfort layer, so far I’ve only seen it in the Grand Bed and Grandis HD.

Is it more beneficial to have a thicker layer of less dense memory foam (1" of 6lb and 7" of 5.3lb in the Palais Grand Royal) or a thicker layer of denser memory foam, but less foam overall (2" of 6 lb and 4" of 5.3lb in the Lux Estate) one way or the other? In the Palais Grand Royale, however, since the bed has two sides, it doesn’t look you can sleep with all of the 5.3lb right beneath you, some will be at the very bottom of the mattress (I’m calling to confirm this later). I also looked at the Christeli Charleston, which seems nearly identical to the Lux Estate except that instead of the natural latex support system layer it has an adjustable ortho core as well as "Cool Tufting’ rather than the ‘Silk Tufting’ like in the Lux Estate and was wondering if you could tell me the benefits of each (though I plan to ask once I talk with them)

Also, in comparing the Lux Estate and Palais Grand Royale to the Grand Bed Christeli has a comparison that they all use 5.3 and 6lb memory foam, but upon calling Tempurpedic I learned that their comfort layer is 7.1lb.

curimattrous

Hi curimattrous,

Off the top of my head the only other ones I can think of are the Sleep Science Escape here and the Original Mattress Factory Serenity here and the Joplimo Swearingen here.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: costco.com/sleep-science-escape-luxury-mattress-collection.html |Archived Footprint 2: joplimo.com/product/swearingen/

I would keep in mind though that memory foam can have a very wide range of different properties even if it is the same density and once you are past about 6 lbs or so any durability benefits of higher density memory foam would be greatly diminished.

It’s not possible to tell how a mattress will feel and perform for any specific person based on the specs or density of the materials and it would depend entirely on the person and which mattress design was a better match in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP. For some people one would be better and for some the other would be better and for some neither one would be a suitable choice. The only way to know would be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

The Palais Grand Royale can be used in several configurations and one of them is using both memory foam sections on top of the mattress.

I would be cautious with very thick layers of memory foam though because memory foam can soften in response to temperature, humidity, and continuous compression and with thicker memory foam layers you may be in good alignment when you first go to sleep at night but if the memory foam softens too much you may no longer be in good alignment when you wake up in the morning.

A phone call with Christeli would be the best source of guidance about the specific differences between their different models.

The GrandBed includes 7.2" of memory foam and 2" of it is 7.1 lb memory foam and 5.2" of it is their 5.3 lb memory foam.

Phoenix

Thanks again for all the advice! I’d been playing phone tag with Christeli, so I submitted my questions on their website and am now waiting for a reply.

curimattrous