Select Foam Grandis-HD Ongoing Review

Hi GrandmasterJ,

I’ll add my thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review :0

I don’t think there is such a thing as a memory foam mattress that has no VOC’s although if the foam is CertiPur certified then it would certainly be true that the VOC’s would be within safe limits. Wool is also a very “safe” fire retardant material along with viscose / silica fire barriers.

I know that there has been several variations of the design and composition of the Grandis over time as they refined the design but I’ve never seen the one that has three 2" layers of memory foam so I’m not sure where those specs came from (although I may just not have seen them).

The current design is here and you can see some of the previous designs on the wayback machine here and here and here. I would suspect that if your order was recent that the current design is the one you have but they could probably confirm this for you. I do agree that their website sometimes includes conflicting information when they make changes to the design as one part is updated but another part may not be which can … and has … caused confusion.

The length of time and the amount of odor in a new mattress can vary from mattress to mattress and by different batches of foam from the manufacturer but in general they don’t last more than a few days and a few weeks is longer than normal. There are also some people that are more sensitive to the smell of memory foam than others or seem to react even to memory foam that has been CertiPur certified but this is not common. Some suggestions that may help are in post #3 here.

I think the only claim about VOC’s that would be truly valid with memory foam is that it has been CertiPur certified (and you can see the CertiPur standards here*) unless they have the specific test results available and provide them to their customers although there are some memory foams that have passed other more stringent testing protocols such as OekoTex (which is the testing protocol that is more usual for latex) although most of these tend to be memory foams that use an MDI polyol instead of the more common TDI polyol that is more common in North America.

ADMIN NOTE:*Always check CertiPur site for the latest guidelines available

If you find the mattress is too firm for you initially one of the suggestions that they will often make is removing the wool fire sock while the mattress is breaking in. Some of the suggestions in post #2 here may also be helpful.

Phoenix