Select Foam Grandis-HD Ongoing Review

Hi GraqndmasterJ,

I’m not sure when the actual switch was from the 8 lb gel memory foam to the 7.2 lb memory foam was made but I would guess this would have been after they switched to using their 7.2 lb memory foam. Either way though … this wasn’t what was listed on their site when you placed the order.

This was probably the case because I don’t remember ever seeing a 3 x 2" construction in any of their iterations.

This sure seems to be the case to me as well and the pictures you listed certainly don’t match their website description. The total of memory foam is the same (5") and the response of the different types of memory foam would be typical (the 5.3 lb gel foam would be faster reacting than the 7.3 lb memory foam which would also be softer) but the layer thicknesses are reversed.

A “no” VOC claim is never accurate if the VOC’s are higher than background levels which was the basis of the FTC action (you can see more comments about this in this thread and post #4 here). I also believe that this should be removed from their site. They do use CertiPur certified foam and there is a wide range of odors that come from the same foams even from the same manufacturer but even CertiPur certified foams would still have some VOC’s … they are just lower than the testing protocol which for most people would be considered safe (although there are still some people that have symptoms even with foams that are certified).

I called Matt and had a conversation with him about the accuracy of their descriptions and told him that I think that their site needs to be checked for accuracy throughout and brought up to date and any incorrect information or discrepancies should to be corrected. He agreed of course that it does them more harm than good when there is a description that isn’t accurate and while it may have little effect on the “value” of the mattress (there would be little to no difference in the cost of the materials if your mattress was the same as what was listed) … it doesn’t inspire confidence and can easily create distrust. He also changed the description of the Grandis while we were on the phone although of course that doesn’t deal with your specific circumstances.

I hope you have the chance to call them and talk with them about the specs of the mattress you received vs what was on the site when you ordered it and how you feel about the difference because regardless of the “value” of the mattress you received and whether it’s better or worse than the description that was on the website in terms of either “value” or how it feels … it isn’t the same mattress as you ordered.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback.

Phoenix