Select Foam

Time for another update.

We decided to return the Cirrus Luxe. The main reason was that we found it didn’t really have the characteristics we were looking for in a memory foam bed. It was showing no noticeable signs of softening over the month and a half we tried it, so we weren’t confident it would develop a “feel” or performance to our liking over time. If anything, I almost felt the bed was feeling firmer with time, though I highly doubt that was actually the case. I agree with what MrSanRamon and hwuya said about how the Select Foam beds feel more like plush innerspring mattresses, though with less motion transfer. Even though the cost of the bed was much less than expensive brands like Tempurpedic, we didn’t feel like it really gave us what we wanted for the price we paid.

I do think that the Select Foam beds are made of quality materials, and are very supportive. The bed just didn’t have the level of conformity and sink-in that we wanted. It seems to me that the foam that Select Foam uses is more “pressure sensitive” than “temperature sensitive,” so I wonder if heavier people who, like us, want a bed that offers a high degree of conformity/sink-in would like the Cirrus Luxe more than we did. (We are 125 and 155 lbs.)

As Phoenix recommended, I took a picture of a ruler next to the foam layers showing the discrepancy of layering compared to the specs on the Select Foam web site, and sent it to SF along with our return request. I didn’t hear any feedback from them regarding the discrepancy - maybe because we had already decided to return the bed - but hopefully that will give them information in case they need to change their manufacturing specs or the specs on their web site. I tried to attach the picture to this post, but am not getting attachments to work at the moment.

A few notes about the return process. Select Foam’s web site says they must receive the bed back by the end of the 90 day trial (which starts the day the order is placed), and to give them a 5 business day heads-up to arrange a pickup date. Based on our experience, I would recommend starting the return process 3-4 weeks before the end of the trial period. It was almost a week after we originally reached out and said we wanted to return it before they scheduled a pickup date, and then the pickup date got moved. So, assuming it the bed is picked up on time, it will be almost two weeks between when we first notified them that we wanted to return the bed and when it will be picked up.

We weren’t sure we wanted to try another online mattress purchase, since we have found we value the ability to try it in person first so we can have better assurance we are getting the “feel” we want without potentially going through the hassle of another return. So, we went a completely different direction and ended up buying a floor model Tempurpedic Rhapsody (fairly new and in excellent shape) from a local store. We are taking a risk, as there is no trial period with this mattress - but on the other hand, buying a floor model means that we’re getting exactly the same mattress we tried in the store and has already been through the break-in and off-gassing period. Because of the steep discount we got for buying a floor model, the Rhapsody (with sales tax) actually cost less than the Cirrus Luxe. I’m not sure I’d be as willing to go with Tempurpedic if we had to pay full price.

As a bonus, the store from which we purchased the Rhapsody gave us a complimentary mattress bag and box to use to ship back the Cirrus Luxe, which was highly appreciated.

We picked the Rhapsody because we thought it was both highly conforming and highly supportive, and seemed to be the bed equivalent of the Tempurpedic pillow my husband bought last fall and has really liked so far. The first few nights sleeping on it have gone well. I can confirm that the Tempurpedic foam is highly temperature sensitive, unlike the Cirrus Luxe. When I tried the Rhapsody in the store, or when I first get into it at night, it feels rock-hard and takes some time to “mold” to the body. When I change position shortly afterwards, it takes a little time to “mold” to my new body position. However, in the morning when I wake up, I notice the foam feels softer and is quicker to respond (similar to the Cirrus Luxe) due to the effect of several hours of body heat. I would say that our broken-in Rhapsody, in the morning, feels kind of similar to the Cloud Luxe that we had tried in the store.

I will also add that I’m a warm sleeper and don’t like to feel too hot at night, but haven’t noticed any issues with the Rhapsody or Cirrus Luxe being too hot. The weather is still relatively cold here in the Midwest, though our bedroom stays fairly toasty in the winter, so I’m not sure there will be as much seasonal temperature difference with the mattress.

I will also mention that before we decided to order the Cirrus Luxe, we had tried memory foam beds by a local manufacturer (recommended by this site) but didn’t find them to our liking, as they all had a thick quilted top, which really takes away from the memory foam “feel.” They also seemed to use a lot of 3 lb memory foam in their beds, which I understand is not recommended as it is too low density.

Hi bluebug,

Thanks for the update … and I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t work out for you.

Of course the good news is that you had the foresight to choose a mattress that had a good return policy so there was little risk.

I’m also glad that you were able to find a good quality mattress that worked out well for you at a good price.

Once again … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Our date to return our Aurora is this week, but we have decided to keep it for a few reasons. The main reason is that we really don’t want to be without a bed, but we are not completely satisfied with the Aurora we received. But we are satisfied enough to keep it.

I just wish that it was a little more plush. It really hasn’t gotten any more plush after the first few days, and we’ve had the mattress now for about two months.

So if I was to give a review of the Aurora mattress it would be something like the following:

“The Aurora is a nice mattress and much cheaper than the Tempur-pedic equivalent, but it is not really equivalent to the Tempur-pedic mattress that select foam advertises. That is my main criticism of the Aurora mattress, it’s not really equivalent to the Tempur-pedic mattress that select foam compares it to. Don’t get me wrong, the Aurora is a nice mattress but if one expects it to be exactly like the Tempur-pedic Allura you may be disappointed.”

I love getting into bed at night, and I sleep pretty well on the Aurora, better than the old mattress. Perhaps after time the plushness will increase, but I don’t expect it to happen. I’m not sure if I would buy it again if I had it to do over again. I think next time I would try to get a more plush mattress equivalent from selectfoam. It just seems that people rate the mattresses as firmer than expected so as a general rule people may want to buy a somewhat more plush mattress from selectfoam to get something equivalent to what they’ve seen in a Tempur-pedic.

Robert

Hi MrSanRamon,

Thanks for taking the time to share another detailed update and your thoughts about your Aurora mattress … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It would be interesting to see whether your experience changes after a few more months with the higher density memory foam in your mattress (which can take longer to soften than lower density memory foam) and it would be great if you have the chance to post another update after a little longer period of time.

Phoenix

PS: @ bluebug,

Some browsers seem to have an issue with posting attachments (see the help tab here) and if all else fails if you email me the picture I’ll attach it to your post.

Sure, no problem. There aren’t enough reviews and comments on selectfoam products.

I can see how someone who just skims my comments would think that my review is wholly negative. But that’s not the case, the mattresses very nice…just firmer than I expected.

If I wanted a mattress this of this firmness this is the mattress I would buy. I just wanted a little more plush mattress which this doesn’t seem to be.

I just want to state again I have no issue with the select foam mattress quality.

More comments to follow as time goes on.

Robert

MrSanRamon, it sounds like your view of the Aurora is fairly similar to our view of the Cirrus Luxe. Not a bad mattress, and good quality, but far from the feel of the Tempurpedic it is trying to imitate. I give Select Foam credit for putting thought into trying to replicate the foam densities and thicknesses of the Tempurpedic beds, but I think use of memory foam of a vastly different composition (soy and gel based) gives their beds a very different “feel” and performance. That is the biggest piece of advice I would give someone thinking about buying from Select Foam due to their like of a particular Tempurpedic model, and the fact that Select Foam bases their advertising heavily on how their beds are supposed to mimic Tempurpedic.

If we hadn’t been able to return our Cirrus Luxe, we wouldn’t have been too disappointed - but we also wouldn’t have bought a mattress sight unseen without a “free shopping both ways” return policy. We did keep the “deadline” for returning the mattress in mind over the course of the trial period, and did our latest round of shopping when we knew we were getting close to having to make a decision, and thought we wanted to return it, as we didn’t want to be without a mattress - or go through the hassle of filling our old water bed again!

I thought I’d add an update on the process of our return with Select Foam. Overall, the scheduling/pick up/delivery of the mattress went fairly well, and Select Foam covered the cost of the return as promised without a problem. I stand by my recommendation to expect it to take 3-4 weeks from the first time you first reach out to Select Foam to start the return process and when Select Foam will actually receive the bed back. However, we are coming close to three weeks since the mattress was delivered to Select Foam. and still no sign of our refund. Their web site says that we should expect it within 10 business days, and last week the salesman who handled our return said we should have received it by this last Monday - but no sign of the refund yet. I reached out on Tuesday to ask for a follow up, but haven’t received a response yet.

I’m sure we will receive the refund eventually, but this is in my mind another example of Select Foam’s subpar customer service (which I admit I did expect based on reviews I had read prior to purchasing the mattress) that others should be aware of when choosing to purchase from them.

Going to order a Regalis soon to replace a cheapo Spa Sensation mattress that has been worn out and now too soft. Hope shipping times work out as well.

Is the Select Foam Gel based foam give a more harder initial feel. Im looking at their Featherlight Supreme and scared that the gel foam will feel to hard compared to none gel foams.

Hi rob2121,

There is a wide range of different firmness levels in both regular memory foam and gel memory foam so it would depend on the specifics of the memory foams you were comparing. There is more information about gel memory foams in general in post #2 here.

Gel memory foams as a group tends to be faster responding, less temperature sensitive, and more “supportive” than non gel memory foams but it also depends on the specifics of how it is made and the type and percentage of gel that is in the memory foam. The best way to know the specifics of any memory foam you are considering would be a more detailed conversation with an online retailer or manufacturer who will be the best source of guidance about how their specific memory foam may compare to other types of memory foam on the market.

Your own experience may also be different than others because so much of the “feel” and “firmness” of memory foam can be subjective so when you are considering an online purchase then the return or exchange policies may also be an important part of your purchase decision and your personal value equation just in case your own experience is different from others or what you hoped for.

Phoenix

Well it’s been another 7 months of sleeping on the Aurora, and it’s a good mattress. It isn’t getting any softer, but it is comfortable.

I’m probably getting used to it and I do look forward to getting into it at night…and I do sleep well on it.

All in all the mattress was a good decision. Still wish it was a little more plush, but it is perfectly fine.

Robert

Hi MrSanRamon,

Thanks for the “7 month” update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Well it’s now been about 16 months of sleeping on the Aurora, and I still believe it’s a good mattress.

The break in period was probably a couple months, so it isn’t getting any softer than when I reviewed it last time, but it is comfortable.

I travel quite a bit for work, and I can say that I always look forward to sleeping in my own bed when I return. I haven’t slept in a mattress that I like any better than the Aurora. But I haven’t slept in any memory foam mattress other than the Aurora either.

I’ve gotten used to the feel and firmness of it and I do look forward to getting into it at night…and I do sleep well on it. My shoulder pain from sleeping on my side doesn’t occur anymore, so I’m happy on that account too.

After 16 months of use, I think I would change the way I describe the mattresses firmness and comfort. The top comfort layer is very plush, and it’s the mattress material that is beneath that top layer that is less resilient than I expected when I spoke to Juan at Select Foam and read their marketing information.

This underlayment is what I expected to be more resilient than it is and its firmness does give a the Aurora a different feel than the Tempurpedic Tempur-Contour Allura mattress the Aurora compares its self to.

All in all the mattress was a good decision for us and I would probably purchase this mattress again instead of the Tempurpedic Allura, given the choice and the price differential.

The only caveat is that I do feel that the plushness of the Aurora is overstated in Select Foam’s descriptions (both verbal & written).

Robert

Hi MrSanRamon,

Thanks for taking the time to return to the forum and share your longer term comments and feedback once again.

It’s not nearly as common that the members here (or anywhere for that matter) return to share their longer term feedback … and I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Well it’s now been about 22 months of sleeping on the Aurora, and I still believe it’s a very good mattress.

After these 22 months of use, I can say that I always look forward to sleeping in my own bed when I return from a work trip or vacation.

There has been no appreciable sag in the mattress and it’s still comfortable and causes less back and joint pain than most other mattresses I sleep on while traveling or on vacation.

I still believe Select Foam’s Aurora mattress was a good decision for us and I would most likely purchase this mattress again instead of the similar name brand “Tempurpedic Allura” mattress, given the price differential.

Robert

Hi MrSanRamon,

Thank you once again for taking the time to share another update with your comments and feedback after almost 2 years on your mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Well it’s now been about 34 months of sleeping on the Select Foam Aurora.

I know in the past posts that I complained about the firmness of the mattress (and that still bothers me), so today I took it apart.

The Aurora is supposed to have had a 2-inch 5.3 lb memory foam top layer, this mattress only has an 1-inch memory foam top layer.

I should have taken the mattress apart while Select Foam was still in business.

Anyway, I’d like to find a supplier of 2-inch 5.3 lb memory foam topper, or an equivalent to what should have been supplied to me originally.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Robert

Hi MrSanRamon,

I’m sorry to hear about the foam layers in your Aurora mattress, and the product still being too firm for your liking.

The better sources I’m aware of for memory foam toppers (and a link for memory foam layers is contained there as well), are listed in post #4 here. Some of those companies offer 5 lb memory foam.

I hope you find something that works well for you and offers you better comfort.

Phoenix

Just ordered a 2" 5.3lb topper from foamorder.com.

I’ll update this thread after I spend some time on the new topper.

Thanks for this site.

Robert

Hi MrSanRamon,

Thanks for the update. I hope the new topper works out well for you. I’ll look forward to your feedback.

Phoenix