Sell me a new matresss!

For the last 2 years about this time I start researching mattresses and sped countless hours looking at stores and websites. Mattress shopping for me has been harder than any other purchase I’ve made in that time. This is the year that I don’t give up or settle for something a salesperson pushes on me. I’ve been to the sleeping dead website, read countless reviews on Amazon, lurked the underground,& watched more YouTube videos than I can count, so I’m taking a different approach. Sell me a matress! I’m open to all suggestions, and will consider any price point if justified. I’ve only purchased one matress in my adult life and it was based strictly on what I could afford after paying for a wedding and purchasing my home. My current mattress is a 10 year old queen box spring that I purchased at a matress store for about $300 that was discontinued . It has served my wife and I well, neither of us suffer from illness, and sleep through the night without noticeable issues or pain. In the last couple of years the mattress has started to sag and has begun to feel lumpy. I began researching matresses a couple of years ago, due to noticing that while on vacations and hotel stays for work that some of those beds felt amazing compared to my bed, with some exceptions of course. I think my mattress is what is keeping me from purchasing a new one, a sales person will recommend a $1700 kingkoil and I can’t help but to think that I could purchase 3 $500 mattresses and possibly be just as happy. So there you have it, sell me a new queen mattress.

Hi Lumpy,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that will help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Unfortunately you are the only one who can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to know which mattress would be best for you based on either specs (yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). There would be no reason for anyone to try and “sell” you a mattress no matter how they feel about their own mattress because a mattress that is “perfect” for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on.

I would also be very cautious about using mattress reviews (positive or negative) as a reliable source of mattress research or information and in many cases they can be much more misleading than helpful (see post #13 here).

There is more in post #2 here about the most (and least) effective ways to choose a mattress (online or locally) and how to identify and minimize the risks involved in each of them.

Phoenix