Sensus

Can anyone tell me if Sensus has always been made with different layers as they are now or were they at one time (about 9years ago or so) the same 5lb all the way through. I have a queen size 12" Sensus that my son bought for himself but did not like the way it made him warm and was going to return it, but instead I bought it from him. I love it and it is just as good now as the day we got it.
I also have a king talalay latex that is in 4 3" separate layers that you put together and then zip the cover on it and I have had it about 5 years. It formed body impressions and I got upset so I replaced one of the layers with a 3" Sensus topper about 3 months ago… I then decided to make this entire king a Sensus so I order 3 more 3" topper layers and will put them all together to make the 12" king mattress. Hope this all makes sense. AFTER I placed the order I began to wonder if this will work well for me since the Sensus mattresses sold these days are NOT all 5lb. I THINK the queen one I have is all one 5lb layer else it would have a top side and a bottom side and it doesn’t. SO hopefully someone can tell me…
I was very surprised that the latex formed body impressions and I found I am not the only one. There are a lot of people having the same problem.

Hi RobP,

Sensus is a type of memory foam made by FXI that is always a single density throughout the layer when it is made (although it comes in different densities). All memory foam layers though can be combined with other layers or materials when they are used to make a mattress and all memory foam mattresses will have a support layer underneath them that is not memory foam because memory foam is too soft to be used as a primary support layer in a mattress.

Your mattress would probably have about 3" - 5" of Sensus memory foam (or possibly more than one layer of memory foam) and then most likely one or more firmer polyfoam support layers underneath this.

This is not a good idea at all. Memory foam is too soft (and gets softer over the course of the night as heat builds up and as it remains compressed over time) to be used as a support layer. No mattress uses memory foam all the way through the mattress and memory foam needs a firmer support layer (your latex would be fine for this).

All materials that are suitable for use in a mattress will form some degree of body impressions or get softer over time. Softer materials or heavier body weights will do this faster than firmer versions of the same material or lighter body weights. Latex as a foam category will do this less than other types of foam.

Most layered latex mattresses also have a warranty (which has real value in the case of smaller manufacturers) so if the impressions are more than the warranty exclusion (which is typically .75" but sometimes more depending on the manufacturer) then you would be able to replace the mattress or any layers which have softened (usually the top layer which is the most subject to mechanical stresses).

Have you talked to the manufacturer of the mattress ?

Phoenix

Phoenix, Thanks for your response. I am surprised that the Sensus queen that I have does not give any instruction to have one side on top if it is composed of different density layers.
I got my king latex from Sleep EZ and they told me to check and see which layers had impressions and they would replace. BUT
have you ever tried to tell which layer has an impression? It is virtually impossible and I gave up trying.
I had already ordered the Sensus toppers when I sent the question to you. I did not find this site till after I placed the order.
Personally I think it will work out. I found in another post that you did recommend the person to do just what I am doing although
I think it was because this man was heavy. I will do as you advised him and switch my layers occasionally.
I do love SENSUS and look forward to my new toppers.

Hi RobP,

Not only does it have different densities … it would have completely different types of materials on the top and bottom (except in the rare cases where a memory foam mattress was two sided. The bottom of most memory foam mattresses are polyfoam and it’s easy to tell because the surface doesn’t have the same finished look as the top of the mattress and if you press the surface the bottom layer will clearly be a firmer fast response material instead of the slow response of memory foam. If you happenned to sleep on the wrong side by mmistake you would knowit very quickly because it would be very different from sleeping on the mattress the right way up (except again in the rare cases where a memory foam mattress was made two sided).

Yes … I have done this and it’s not that difficult if you lay the layer on a flat surface like the floor and then put a straight edge or tight string across the surface which makes it relatively easy to measure the depth of any impressions. I would certainly do this for the sake of testing the latex and with the possibility of having a layer replaced. It’s most likely that the top layer is the one that has any impressions and may need to be replaced and this is much more cost effective than replacing a whole mattress.

I don’t think that this is a good idea at all (using memory foam for all the layers of a mattress) and I can assure you that I would never recommend it to anyone. I think you have misread the post that you are referring to.

It would be even worse to do this if someone was heavy and I would encourage you to read the post again where you think I advised this (or link to the post so I can correct it if it somehow comes across this way) because I certainly wouldn’t ever recommend it.

Phoenix

Phoenix, I believe you and I most likely misunderstood. I have no idea where the post is as I was reading so much. I appreciate your response and will try the method you used to see if I can determine which layer has the impressions.
I have decided to use several layers of the latex as even though I have four layers they are all extra firm. The ldl is about 45 so that should be firm enough shouldn’t it? I hate to put any more money into this. Also do not want to try my hubby’s patience.

Hi RobP,

45 ILD latex is certainly very firm and would be “firm enough” for most uses and for most body types in a mattress. If it was on the surface or underneath a layer that was too soft or too thin on top of the mattress it may even be too firm for most (but of course not all) people.

If any of your layers have impressions beyond what would be “normal” … it would most likely be the ones closest to the top of your mattress.

Phoenix