Separate Core & Topper

I am looking to purchase a queen size, 100% Dunlop latex mattress from North Shore linens in North Vancouver. The mattress is made by Arpico and has a 6" firm core and a 3" super soft topper, also Dunlop latex.

Rather than glue the topper and core together, or put them unglued into one cover, the store suggests that the core and the topper have separate covers. Can you advise if this is a recommended way to combine the two pieces? From what I can read, if the core and a topper are not glued together they should be fit inside of the same cover. I’m worried that the topper will slide around on top of the core if they are in separate covers.

Also, would you be able to tell me if a firm core and super soft topper would work together better than a medium firm core and super soft topper? My wife is about 120 lbs and I am about 175 lbs; my wife is a stomach sleeper and I am a back & side sleeper.

Thank you.

Hi George Morris,

This would be a preference choice and one design isn’t inherently any better than the other so it would depend on which one was a better “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP. There is more about the effect of having a separate topper vs having the same layer inside the mattress cover in posts #3 and #4 here and in this topic. Latex is very heavy and tends to stay in place … especially with a fitter sheet and your mattress protector on top of it so shifting generally wouldn’t be an issue and if for some reason it does shift over time then realigning it would only take a few seconds.

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is also more information about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to “fine tune” a mattress or the exchange/return options that are available to you).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will “feel” or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort or PPP for anyone else … 100% natural Dunlop made by Arpico is certainly a high quality and very durable material so if any of their mattresses are a good match in terms of PPP then there are no lower quality materials or weak links in their mattresses that would compromise durability and if they also compare well to your other finalists based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you they would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, very helpful information.

Hi George Morris,

You’ve very welcome … and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

You’ve probably seen this but just in case you haven’t the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Vancouver, BC area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix