Serta iComfort Genius Everfeel Extra Firm

It’s listed here: Amazon.com

I’m wondering if anyone knows more about this mattress? Some close approximations by other brands? Or are there any weak links in the Genius. They don’t have the densities on their website, anyone know what they are for each layer and if the layers are of quality material and construction?

In doing a forum search I came across some posts about Novosbed.

I’ve realized I want a firmer memory foam mattress so I’m reading up on Novosbed Sonota and Classic.
I’m really surprised in hearing that one poster on here (RyanNY) thought the Sonota was more firm than the iComfort Genius which, when I tried it, was by far the firmest mattress I’ve tried and I’ve tried every single Tempurpedic mattress as well as most iComforts. I liked the Genius a lot and I like the Temp Rhapsody a lot but I probably like the Genius a bit more. At first I couldn’t figure out why I preferred a lot of the iComforts over Tempurpedic, but I think it may have to do with the Gel Foams… I think I just prefer the feel of Gel Foams than than Tempur materials or could it be something else? The Genius had little sink (how I like it), good conturing/adaptability/conformity to my body, and strong solid support.

I’m waiting until Black Friday to purchase my mattress in hopes of saving money but this also means I keep finding more and more options and doing more and more research. Here is what I’m looking at now any advice or knowledge from anyone is welcome. I will continue to do searches online and on this forum after I post this to find more answers.

Right now my top options are:

1. iComfort Genius (concerned about not knowing densities and materials and the price is over 1K, it’s mainstream mattress which means I’m paying for advertising and the name on the mattress)
  2. Dreamfoam Bedding Aria (concerned it’s not firm enough and doesn’t approximate the Rhapsody as it should and it only uses 4lb foam).
  3. Christeli Astoria: Concerned the 2 piece strategy will slide apart, concerned it’s over priced for no reason. Also a bit concerned about some of their marketing tactics (mattresses are on “sale” ALL the time). Is there more deception at work?
  4. Novosbed Classic: Concerned it could be TOO firm. RyanNY from this form said that the Sonota was more form than the Genius and the Classic is listed as being even MORE firm than the Sonota. So the Classic is a rock?
  5. Novosbed Sonota: Concerned that it’s described by RyanNY as even MORE firm than the Genius and the website Novos website describes it as having “slightly more sink” than average memory foam. The Genius when I tried it had very little sink compared to Tempurpedic Rhapsody. But I’m thinking maybe that had more to do with the support layers than it had to do with the gel foam vs traditional foam?

Hi E4HZ,

[quote]It’s listed here: Amazon.com

I’m wondering if anyone knows more about this mattress? Some close approximations by other brands? Or are there any weak links in the Genius. They don’t have the densities on their website, anyone know what they are for each layer and if the layers are of quality material and construction?[/quote]

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here but outside of a manufacturer that makes a specific comparison of their mattress to the Genius in their description or that is familiar with the Genius and how their mattresses compare in terms of firmness based on their own personal experience the only way to know if another mattress is a reasonable “match” in terms of “feel” or firmness would be based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience.

The Genius also has a 2" layer of low quality firmer support foam under the memory foam which would be a weak link in the mattress (it would soften more quickly than a higher quality material … see post #2 here).

I would keep in mind that the same mattress can feel very different for different people depending on their body type, sleeping positions, and just different perceptions of softness. This is particularly true with memory foam because the firmness/softness of memory foam can vary with temperature, humidity, how long the foam is continuously compressed (whether you change positions more than others) and with the type of mattress protector, mattress pad, or the sheets that you use on the memory foam which can affect how much body heat reaches the memory foam. This is also why you will see such a wide range of comments in reviews about the same mattress with some people describing it very differently from others. I think you mean RickNY?

As you can see in the tutorial post and the guidelines here … I would generally suggest avoiding the major brands because they tend to use lower quality material in every budget range than many of the smaller manufacturers.

As you can see in the guidelines here … if you aren’t in a higher than average weight range (higher than the low 200’s or so) there would be no weak links in the mattress.

I would call this more marketing than deception although you are correct that like many other manufacturers in the industry they do have a continuous sale that is designed to “encourage” a sense of urgency. I personally wouldn’t be concerned about the layers “sliding apart”. I also don’t think it’s overpriced.

Novosbed compares its Classic to the Tempurpedic Contour Select and the Sonata to the Optimum Destiny so you could test each of these mattresses locally to get a reasonable sense the firmness level of each of them based on how most people would perceive it.

When you can’t test a mattress in person to see how it feels for you in your own bedroom then I would always suggest a more detailed conversation with each manufacturer who will know more about how they will feel for “most” people and how well they are likely to match different body types, sleeping styles, and preferences than anyone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Outside of the Serta Genius which I would avoid … you are certainly looking at some good final choices (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

The Sonata is listed as only containing 3 inches of 3.7lb gel foam? Is that a weak link since it’s sub 4lb foam? I assumed they used all 5.2lb foam but the Sonata seems to use low density foam. http://www.novosbed.com/product/sonata-memory-foam-mattress/

I think that might rule out the Sonata in favor of the Classic or the Aria OR the Dreamfoam Aria.

Hi E4HZ,

I wouldn’t consider it a weak link no since it’s “in the range” of the spec tolerance for 4 lb memory foam (see post #4 here) although for those that are in higher weight ranges (above the low 200’s or so) I would tend to reduce or minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam in the top layers of a mattress.

Phoenix