Serta iComfort Visionary EFX Plush

I have had my current, medium firm mattress for 12 years. Recently I have developed tendinitis in one of my shoulders, and as I am a side sleeper, it has caused some discomfort when in bed. The mattress itself is also just not what it was as you might imagine. So I’m shopping for a new one.

I went to Macy’s today and tried a bunch of mattresses. I had never lay on a memory foam mattress before and liked it. It was hard to lay on the inner spring mattresses after I tried memory foam (I didn’t really care for the latex ones either). I also found the soft memory foam mattresses far more forgiving on my shoulder and hips than the firmer ones. Some of the really soft Tempurpedics like the Cloud Elite were nice, but I actually felt really good on the Serta iComfort Visionary EFX Plush, which is far less money, but still quite expensive. Reading this site, it sounds like the Serta is probably not a great deal.

Is there a mattress that I could expect to have a similar feel to the Serta but would be a better deal? I’m intrigued by the Sleep Innovations/Novaform mattresses but am concerned that none branded as such will be soft enough.

Hi brianwolf,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

As you can see in the guidelines here … I would avoid all the major brands or any mattress that has more than “about an inch or so” of either lower quality or unknown materials in the comfort layers especially (which would include most of the Novaform mattresses as well) because they are much more likely to soften and break down prematurely which can lead to the loss of comfort and support much too quickly relative to the price you paid and would be very risky choices.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix