Serta iSeries Vantage Plush or Saatva?

What should I get for a side sleeper? Which sleeps cooler?

Hi bakercard,

I noticed that you registered with your email as your username which means that automated spambots will be able to harvest your email and add you to their spam lists. If you’d like I can remove the @ and the domain after it and change your username to just bakercard (or any username you wish).

I would read my reply to a very similar question in post #2 here except replace “Stearns & Foster” with Serta in the reply. Both of them are major brands that I would avoid.

I don’t have any specific suggestions because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I can certainly help you to narrow down your options by identifying any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress, help you identify and focus on the better quality/value options that are available to you either locally or online, act as a fact check, answer questions you may have along the way that I am able to help with, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress that is the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

The “best” general suggestion I can make about “how” to choose would be to follow all the steps in the mattress shopping tutorial one at a time which would give you the best chance of making the most suitable, the most durable, and the best “value” choice based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including your budget range of course).

You can see some comments about the Vantage in post #2 here and as you can see I would avoid it along with most major brand mattresses or any mattress that uses lower quality and less durable materials (in the comfort layers especially) that would be an obvious weak link in the mattress or where you aren’t able to find out the quality and durability of the materials inside the mattress (see the guidelines here).

There are also many variables that can affect sleeping temperature and not all of them are specific to the mattress so it’s not possible to quantify the temperature range that you will sleep on a specific mattress and there aren’t any specific tests that allows consumers to compare different mattresses in terms of temperature regulation so you are limited to comparisons of the materials in more general terms along with the knowledge and experience of the manufacturer/retailer you are dealing with along with “best judgement”.

Having said that … there is more about the many variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here that can help you choose a choose the combination of materials and components and the types of mattresses that will have the best chance of keeping you in a temperature range that you are comfortable with.

A mattress that sleeps warm for some people may be well inside a comfortable temperature range for others depending on where they are in the “oven to iceberg” range and on the temperature and humidity in their bedroom and the mattress protector or any mattress pad you are using, your sheets and bedding, and your bedclothes, which can all have a significant effect on sleeping temperature regardless of your mattress and in some cases changing these may be all that is necessary to keep sleeping temperatures inside the range that you are comfortable with even if one mattress tends to sleep warmer than another.

Gel memory foams can be cool to the touch but they tend to have a temporary effect on sleeping temperature when you go to sleep at night but it doesn’t normally last throughout the course of the night (see post #2 here).

If I had to guess (and it would only be a guess) I would guess that the Saatva would probably tend to sleep cooler for most (but not all) people because the compressed coils that they use in the comfort layers are more breathable than foam materials but again if you were to ask 10 different people that have slept on both of them you would probably find a range of different answers.

Phoenix

Yeah, can you remove the @gmail.com from my username. That would be great!

Thanks!

Hi bakercard,

Done … you can log in with your new username and the same password now :slight_smile:

Phoenix