Serta Perfect Sleeper

I’m considering this mattress. We had a Serta double sided pillowtop that held up well for 12+ years. I can actually get it about $100 cheaper and with 6 payments. It includes boxsprings, delivery and setup and haul away old mattress and boxsprings. It seems like a good deal but from the little I’ve read on this forum, it is not a good choice. We don’t have a lot to spend and would need for it to last at least 10 years. Is this a huge mistake?

http://www.qvc.com/Queen-with-Box-Spring.product.H199583.html

Hi diana,

In my opinion … yes it would be a mistake. A mattress is only as good as the quality of its construction and the materials inside it and Serta, like all the other major brands, doesn’t disclose this. I would avoid any blind purchases particularly from manufacturers that are known to use lower quality materials compared to many other smaller manufacturers that are sold either factory direct or through better sleep shops around the country in the same price range.

The place to start and the most important post on the forum is post #1 here which links to all the information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make a good choice.

Phoenix

Thank you, I will try to read through that. This is what it says about construction and materials.

Includes Elite Ambition Euro-Top mattress and box spring foundation
Visco elastic memory foam
Zoned convoluted foam
1" high density comfort foam
FlexZone innerspring for individualized support
Total Edge foam encasement prevents sagging
Awarded Consumer Digest Best Buy Award
Exclusive to QVC until 4/30/13
Fits standard-sized sheets
Queen sized at approximately 60"W x 79-1/2"L x 11-1/4"H with 8-1/2"H box spring
Tick 87% polyester/10% lurex/3% silk; border 72% rayon/28% polypropylene
10-year non-prorated Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
Cannot ship to Alaska, Hawaii, PR, VI, Guam, or P.O. boxes
Designed and built in USA

Hi diana,

The specs you listed don’t say anything about the quality of the materials … only the type of materials … and every type of material has low and higher quality. For example … the weak link of a mattress is usually in the comfort layers which are the ones most subject to softening and impressions. Foam softening and the loss of comfort and support that comes from it is not covered by a warranty. here are some of the meaningful specs that are missing from the description.

Visco elastic memory foam: Missing the density and thickness of the layer.

Zoned convoluted foam: Missing the density and thickness of the layer.

1" high density comfort foam: Missing the density of the layer.

FlexZone innerspring for individualized support: Missing the details of the spring (but this is less important than the foam layers).

Total Edge foam encasement prevents sagging: This can also be a weak link of a mattress as the polyfoam can soften or delaminate and foam is a very “cheap” way to make edges firmer. They don’t mention the density of the foam used.

In other words … all the important information that would allow you to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses is missing. This is part of the reason why the guidelines in the first post I linked suggest to avoid major brands and chain stores completely.

Phoenix