Serta pure opulence latex mattress

My wife and I have slept on the subject mattress numerous times at a relatives home and find it very comfortable. The mattress is no longer in production. Does anyone know of a comparable mattress?
Thanks

Hi Pattaway,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

This is a quite common question here on the forum - attempting to replicate a mattress that is no longer in production. Unfortunately, unless you knew the exact specifications of every layer of foam within this mattress, attempting to replicate an old product like that would be mostly wasted energy, and you’d be much better of looking at modern mattresses and finding something that approximates the comfort that you prefer using good quality and durable materials. The good news is that with latex there are many choices, including component-style latex systems where the layers can be changed out to achieve different comfort levels.

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be fairly unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP (regardless of anyone else’s opinions of how they compare which may be different from your own) would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

Some of Serta’s other latex mattresses have been discussed previously here on the forum, but unfortunately I don’t have specifics of the Opulence. They did use Talalay latex, as I suspect your Opulence did. Some of the old Serta latex models used a rather plush 28 ILD core with a 32 ILD latex “racetrack” edge system.

Your best bet might be to contact a knowledgeable latex mattress manufacturer who has been doing this for some time and they may have a better recollection of this particular Serta model than I do. Many of the site members here are very experienced with latex designs, and some that have been around for longer periods of time, such as SleepEZ or Arizona Premium, might be helpful. Otherwise, I would focus on finding a quality latex product that suits your specific level of comfort using the guidelines as presented in the Mattress Shopping Tutorial.

If you have more specific questions as you go through your mattress search, I’ll do my best to be assistive.

I hope that information helps get you a good start.

Phoenix